Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: About to attempt my first trap out  (Read 3464 times)

Offline Sniper338

• House Bee
About to attempt my first trap out
« on: April 23, 2017, 07:08:45 pm »
There is a feral hive at my wifes work inside a metal pipe.  The pipe is standing vertical, put in the ground, it stands about 4 feet tall, 10 or 12 inch pipe.

I made some bottoms boards to i took one and cut an inch maybe inch and a half hole in the bottom middle of the bottom board.  Next i took a cheap plastic kitchen funnel and cut it off to fit the hole pointed up into the hive box...  ends up about the right size i think...   

So im going to set a whole hive on top of the pipe where they all have to crawl up into the hive to get out the hive entrance...  rigged a way to secure the hive to the pipe...

We will see if it works, it may take alittle time though for them to move up and out of the pipe...

Should be interesting..

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Re: About to attempt my first trap out
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 07:35:06 pm »
I would suggest you use a triangular excape board. I would use as a bottom board. Seeing you can set the whole Hive on top of the pipe. If you use a regular funnel. Bees will figure it out real quick. This is why people make funnels out of wire screen for trap outs. Hope you have a great adventure doing it.

Every major supply house for honeybees will sell these

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/10-Frame-Escape-Screen/productinfo/774/

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 07:59:10 pm »
Sniper,
One thing you will want to be careful about is allowing the bees to maintain air flow during the weeks of doing this trap out. As long as they can get air into the hive, you could also use a plastic bee escape that you please in the oval hole in the inner cover. I would recommend having a screened box between the pipe and the bee escape.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Sniper338

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 08:19:47 pm »
Went out and looked at it.  Isnt going to work like i thoufht anyways.  Thanks for the info, ill do that all too...  ossue i ran into is the top edge of the pipe was cut with a cutting torch so its not exactly straight.  So placing a board on top of the pipe would leave little gaps between the tip edge of the pipe and the bottom of the bottom board. .

Good healthy hive..  i was able to walk right up to them in my bee suit, not even one head butted me or anything..  calmer than i thought they would be.

I dont understand why they like this spot they are, the top of the pipe is open, everytime it rains, rain goes into the pipe.  AND it just happens to rain everyday 7 days a week in this spot...  its in the middle of an overhead irrigation plot of plants... TONS of water, the water just sits on top of the ground its so saturated..  i dont understand why they like getting sprayed with water everday..

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 09:14:47 pm »
Sniper,
One thing you will want to be careful about is allowing the bees to maintain air flow during the weeks of doing this trap out. As long as they can get air into the hive, you could also use a plastic bee escape that you please in the oval hole in the inner cover. I would recommend having a screened box between the pipe and the bee escape.
Jim

I personally have had too many bad experiences. With bees dying inside the  Porter bee escape .... If this happens it will plug to bees in the pipe.

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 09:18:55 pm »
You have not said where the comb is in this pipe and how much there is.  In addition to the funnel hive I would put a very high LED intensity light shining down into the pipe.  What you are trying to do is force the queen to go up in the box and keep her there.  Queens don't like light.  If you can get the queen to stay in the box in three weeks the brood will hatch and then you are golden.  You might be able to remove the box sooner because they can't make a queen with out 4 day old larvae.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 09:33:13 pm »
   IMO here is a thread where you will find good advice.

http://www.beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=20301.0

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline Sniper338

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 10:09:34 pm »
You have not said where the comb is in this pipe and how much there is.  In addition to the funnel hive I would put a very high LED intensity light shining down into the pipe.  What you are trying to do is force the queen to go up in the box and keep her there.  Queens don't like light.  If you can get the queen to stay in the box in three weeks the brood will hatch and then you are golden.  You might be able to remove the box sooner because they can't make a queen with out 4 day old larvae.

I dont know how much comb is in the pipe, i couldnt quite see down in the pipe,  Im 5 foot 10 inches tall and its about a 5 foot 8 inch tall pipe...  so as far as the original post goes i was wrong about how tall it was..    still about 10 to 12 in diameter pipe.

I assume its a pretty good size hive, it has tons of forage bees...  if i had to guess as in regular hive talk, id guess its a 2 stack hive.   It has more forage bees buzzing around the entrance, flying back, and leaving, than one deep box hive that is full. 

Im going to have to reassess and get a better game plan together.  Read yalls info more...

I wish i would have thought to take a picture..  it was just a cloud of forage bees.

Its a hell of a hive...  if they didnt want them gone i would leave them bee, wild happy, thriving bees.  But they sting workers every once and a while when they have to move trees around it..

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 10:31:06 pm »
If it is that populous I think you will have to take it in pieces
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 06:57:07 am »
First, ask permission, then set your hive on "about" two cement blocks, or similar. Drill a hole 3/4 to one inch diameter into the pipe as near the hive landing pad as possible. Make a small screen cone and screw and/or silicone it over the hole. Cover the top of the pipe with a dark, waterproof material and tie or rubber band it tightly. Place a frame of eggs from your hive in the catch hive. You should have capped queen cells in 5 days.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 07:15:15 am by iddee »
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Sniper338

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 05:55:33 pm »
First, ask permission, then set your hive on "about" two cement blocks, or similar. Drill a hole 3/4 to one inch diameter into the pipe as near the hive landing pad as possible. Make a small screen cone and screw and/or silicone it over the hole. Cover the top of the pipe with a dark, waterproof material and tie or rubber band it tightly. Place a frame of eggs from your hive in the catch hive. You should have capped queen cells in 5 days.

Would that move the bees out of the pipe and into the hive?  Still seems like it would sufficate the hive in the pipe closing off the top of the pipe....?

Offline Sniper338

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 05:58:59 pm »
Also just thinking about setting put several swarm traps around the hive area...  this colony has to swarm...

anything