Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: homemade capping tub  (Read 4676 times)

Offline queenb64

• New Bee
homemade capping tub
« on: March 04, 2005, 06:43:26 pm »
Hey all.
  I found 2 different clear containers, like tupperware, that fit together just like the capping tubs that they see for lots of $$$$$. I am going to buy a gate for it to drain the honey. My questions is..... For the screen part., for the honey to drain through and not the wax, what kindo of screen? Any sizing as to the holes in the screen I should use?
"if you can dish it out, you better be able to take it"

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
homemade capping tub
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 08:58:15 pm »
Don't go too small on the screen otherwise it will clog up quick and not drain well.  You want it sized to just stop the big chunks.  Then filter the honey just like you would the stuff that comes out of the extractor.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline queenb64

• New Bee
homemade capping tub
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 01:40:08 pm »
ROBO,
  I imagine I will have to cut a large hole out of the top tub, and make a frame for the screen so that it sit down snuggly in the tub. Question, I will have to spray the screen with something right? Like you do with tanks that arent SS ???

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: homemade capping tub
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 01:55:42 pm »
Quote from: queenb64
ROBO,
Question, I will have to spray the screen with something right? Like you do with tanks that arent SS ???

Not necessarily, depends on what type of material you use and how long the honey will sit it it.  Galvanized tanks are only an issue if you let the honey sit in them.

For my capping tub I got a piece of expanded aluminum

and bent it into a cone shape and then bent the top edge over so that it would  sit  down inside a rubbermaid garbage can.  Made a wood shaped 'T" to sit on top  to stand the frames on as I decap them.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline queenb64

• New Bee
homemade capping tank
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 09:00:36 pm »
thanks ROBO!!

Offline Hill's Hivery

• Brood
What were the containers you used????
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 12:37:39 am »
Could you please specify which containers you used to make yours.  I would like to build on also.  If you can, advise where you bought them also.

Thank you. :lol: