Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Couple Of Questions  (Read 4566 times)

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
Couple Of Questions
« on: September 25, 2006, 07:18:36 pm »
Polystyrene Hive  Or Wooden? I just dont feel safe about the Polystyrene hive, doesnt look normal to me.

Also Do I need to put some coats of paint and some sealant on my Hives If I got wooden ones from Betterbee.com?

Do you guys Recomend Betterbee.com or Dadant.com?

As for the Hive Frames. If I buy from one company do I need to stick to that company for Extractors, Frames, Hive Body's and Supers?

Thanks and Cheers!  :roll:
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Couple Of Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 07:34:07 pm »
? are you going to be able to get bees this late in the year?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
    • Photo Album
Couple Of Questions
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 07:35:00 pm »
No, Im getting bee's in the spring no way would I be able to get bee's now... I would rather have a nice and ready Bee hive for the Spring though...
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
Couple Of Questions
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 09:15:41 pm »
you have questionable taste in music ....
most beekeepers paint the outside of their hives after assembly. i think wood will hold up better to prying apart hive bodies. the bees will do a good job of sealing so you dont need to do that. some glue as well as nail the hives together....some just nail. glue will make the assembly permanent. i suggest nailing only.
as far as who to buy from..if it were me doing the buying i would go with the cheapest (especially when first starting out) but dont forget to factor in any cost of freight.
i'm not sure of the interchangeablility of frames but if they are wooden they can be adjusted by cutting if necessary.

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
    • Photo Album
Couple Of Questions
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 09:57:15 pm »
thanks for the reply, Ill keep that in mind, any more imput guys/gals??

Youre just jellouse cause youre music doesnt have horn sections and reggae beats mixxed in with some punk and blues!

Offline bee whisper

• New Bee
Couple Of Questions
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 10:36:52 pm »
I paint my hives you can get your equipment from brushy mountian

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
    • Photo Album
Couple Of Questions
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 12:24:33 am »
Who do you guys think Suppply the Better starter Kits? Betterbee or Dadant?

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
Couple Of Questions
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 12:56:17 am »
Brushy Mountain gets my vote these days. Small, family owned. Owners very accessable.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Couple Of Questions
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 05:59:39 am »
Stay away from starter kits.  
You end up with useless equipment that will only gather dust.  It is better for your Ag project to buy in quantities where you can save % on cost.  I've found betterbee to be better at delivering what you order at the same time.  With Dadant & Sons the equipment will dribble in and isn't always what you ordered.  You also end up with extra shipping cost.

I would suggest ordering a catalog from Mann Lake Ltd, the back page has a list of dealers--you may find one close to you.  Do your research, decide what your focus will be and then buy what you need.

Another good source that has frequent volume sales is Western Bee Supply in Montana and they will ship your entire order intact.  Since I shifted to 8 frame hives I buy what equipment I need through Western Bee--what I don't make myself.

Paint it--it will last longer.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
    • Photo Album
Couple Of Questions
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 07:27:37 am »
I guess I should ask then, What do you recomend 8 or 10 Frame?

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Re: Couple Of Questions
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 07:37:42 am »
Quote from: nepenthes
 Polystyrene Hive  Or Wooden? I just dont feel safe about the Polystyrene hive, doesnt look normal to me.

wood will last longer but some people have got long life from the poly hives..

Al
so Do I need to put some coats of paint and some sealant on my Hives If I got wooden ones from Betterbee.com?  

both wood and poly should be painted

Do you guys Recomend Betterbee.com or Dadant.com?

I mostly deal with Betterbee and Mann lakes.

As for the Hive Frames. If I buy from one company do I need to stick to that company for Extractors, Frames, Hive Body's and Supers?

Thanks and Cheers!  :roll:

sometimes one will have a sale and they all have about the same stuff, every know and then it helps to buy from the one with the best price, they will all be cheaper on some things and higher on others so I would say buy from them all at different times....
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Couple Of Questions
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 07:39:45 am »
I guess I should ask then, What do you recomend 8 or 10 Frame?

I have all 10 frame equipment, some on here have all 8 frame equipment, you chose which you can deal with and what you think will be best for you.....
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Couple Of Questions
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 10:50:36 am »
Love SKA myself. Drinking some Blue mountain coffe I purchased in Jamaica right this minute. Awesome brew!

All great suggestions. Dont forget your Bee club. I have found many commercial beeks also manufacture wooden ware at good prices minus the shipping or are drop sites for the big manufacturers. It will also give you a head start on finding bees from locals in the spring. Bee clubs often have extractors to borrow or rent to save money too. They also provide a discount to American Bee Journal and Bee Culture magazines. No matter what the membership costs, you get it back tenfold in cost savings and knowledge. Last but not least, get a book or two. Beekeeping for Dummies is an easy read which covers almost very area of beekeeping, even if its just a little bit.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Couple Of Questions
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2006, 11:43:21 am »
i agree about the books and i found that videos to be helpful also.  it's good to see and not just read.  check the library.  i found everything there and then i bought the things that i found to be most useful.  that way, i didn't spend lots of money on stuff i'd never look at again.

i think the smaller supers are a great idea and wish i'd had the advice before i used the deeps.  i use 10 frames.  i'm sure there are very good reasons for using 8 or 9 frames.  you should ask around and see what yo think will work for you.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
    • Photo Album
Couple Of Questions
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2006, 03:38:33 pm »
Ive emaild my county bee club Im getting ready to call them, I found a place  a couple hours north of where I am, and I really want to go visit them I found them in Bee Cultuer that I borrowed form my Ag Teachers Collection. But This place Also has bee's so Im going to call them sence they are the closest place Ive heard about. And I plan on buying a a couple of books. Thanks for the help full sudgestions!

8)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Couple Of Questions
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2006, 10:57:17 pm »
>>What do you recomend 8 or 10 Frame?

10 frame is considered the industry standard.  For the purposes of you Ag project I would select that option as it well be easier to sell out if you change your mind.

Of the personal note, being disabled I find 10 frames too wide and deeps too thick to handle over the arm of a wheelchair.  I therefore have selected to use 8 frame mediums throughout.  The one recommendation I would make regardless of what you do is to use one size box (medium) the uniformity of equipment will allow you to correct errors or other problems that might arrise.  If you opt for all one size box you'll be glad you did before your first season's over.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Couple Of Questions
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2006, 07:24:08 pm »
I'd do the eight frame mediums.  Resale on used hives isn't much anyway.  They can always put the frames in any width box they want if you do sell them.

It all depends on what you want to lift:

Full of honey:
10 frame deeps - 90 pounds
10 frame mediums - 60 pounds
8 frame mediums - 48 pounds
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
    • Photo Album
Couple Of Questions
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2006, 10:00:14 pm »
:shock:

wow they get busy!

Well thanks, I think i will probably be going with the Medium Supers..

thanks a ton!

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
Couple Of Questions
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2006, 12:14:51 am »
Using 8 frame mediums has been a great experience for us. I'm sold on it's feasability completely.

Ska....Hmmm. I think I can sum up the best in Jamaican music in 2 words: Jimmy Cliff. (No offense to the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, et al)

anything