Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Modifications  (Read 4580 times)

Offline Beeninja

• New Bee
Modifications
« on: July 12, 2013, 04:39:22 pm »
I have a TBH and when I check the hive the girls are fine when checking the food stores but when I start cutting the cone loose from the side of the hive in the broad chamber the girls get rather upset. Not fighting made but they clime out all over the top of the hive and take flight around the hive. My question is has anyone modified their foundationless TBH and made frames to eliminate the need to cut the cone loose every time you inspect the hive?  If so has it worked or not? I am thinking of doing so on my next hive

Also, My entrance is at one end and when they first started to build they put the food at opposite end and started the broad chamber at the entrance. Now they are storing Honey at both ends and broad in the middle. is this a sign of being honey bound?

any and all help is welcome..

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Modifications
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 12:31:26 pm »
After I built my TBH, I got a cut out, so I made sides and bottom to the bars.  On my next one I think I will make it more like a Lang and use Lang frames.  They have built to the sides of the frames on some all most none to the bottoms.  They don't build to the side of the hive.  Good luck to you and your bees.

Joe

Offline lonestarbee

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 01:45:54 pm »
That's exactly what I have been thinking about doing!  My bees are really sweet, but they always attach the comb to the sides, and when i have to cut it, they get VERY upset and start flying around like you said.  I like the top bar hive, but I want to make frames so they can attach it to the side of the frame instead of the hive.  Joe, your photo is what I would like to build.  Do you have more photos or a description of how you built it?  And how has it worked out?
Thanks!

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 02:49:56 am »
The top bar is what I started with.  I took a 2 X 4 cut it at an angle then turned it over and cut the other side.  Then notched out for spot to set on top of hive body.  I had a cut out so I built sides and a bottom to make the frame where it would be easier to attach the comb.  I cut the notch a little more and at an angle, didn't want the comb to be over 11 inches so that is how long from bottom of top bar to inside of bottom.  Had the measurements of hive, also had divider board to compare to, made the frame slightly smaller so it would go in hive stapled it together. You could just draw it out on your divider board and make it from that.
As for as working they build across the top bar, attach some to the sides of the frame, sometimes to the bottom.  Being in the deep south in the summer you still need to be careful when handling the frames.  If you forget and turn it on the side it may still fall out.  I guess you could put in some wires or pins to help hold the comb into place even better.  Hope this helps.    On being gentle, mine are Cordovans, last week I pulled every frame out 1 at a time, inspected it and put it back, didn't have the first bee even fly around me.  Good luck to you and your bees.

Joe

Offline lonestarbee

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 01:46:17 am »
I'll give that a try.  Thanks for the response!

Offline BobsBeeBarn

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 12:39:51 pm »
I just take bars to be harvested away from the hive. To me they don't seem to be as concerned about a bar going away as one being damaged.
You don't need a parachute to skydive, You do however need one to skydive more than once.

Offline Santa Caras

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 05:42:43 pm »
I'm wondering about the angle of the sides on the ones that mention comb attaching to the walls. I had read that they should be at least 120 degrees so that the bees treat it as a floor. Any angles less that 120 will draw bracer comb. This true in ya'lls experience???

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 10:37:43 am »
>Any angles less that 120 will draw bracer comb. This true in ya'lls experience???

In my experience it is not true.  They don't attach it much either way.  Either way they attach it some.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopbarhives.htm#attachments

There are a couple of advantages to the sloped sides.  One is that the combs come out of the box more easily.  Another is that the combs have more attachment for their weight and are slightly less fragile.  Neither of these are major issues, but they are enough to be noticeable.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything