Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Soy Flour for Pollen Patty: Urban Myth?  (Read 20799 times)

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
Re: Soy Flour for Pollen Patty: Urban Myth?
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 01:44:24 pm »
 yes I can see that-and i know that it is the egg white that is poisonous to bees not the yolk- ;)
we try to maintain a PH level with our mix same or close to honey-as you know we use CITRIC ACID
for change of ph and preservatives--

so the torula yeast is not available ---can you get brewers yeast---(i know your happy with what you mix)

8-) RDY-B

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:32:31 pm by rdy-b »

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 03:44:57 pm »
---can you get brewers yeast---

yes i can...

For example horse keepers use yeast as forage. At least part of that is  brewer yeast.

My yeast hase been made in Canada.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 04:02:14 pm by Finski »
Language barrier NOT included

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 11:35:18 pm »
what are the other keepers doing(in finland) --same or or do they use secret recipe- ;) RDY-B

Offline brooklynbees

• New Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2012, 03:44:30 pm »
Adding sugar to regular baker's yeast doesn't kill it unless you overload it. That's why its usual to add a tablespoon of sugar to the yeast and water solution you prepare for bread baking.  Baker's yeast enzymes convert the sugar (glucose, fructose) to ethanol and carbon dioxide. The fermentation process is accompanied by the release of carbon dioxide which causes foaming and makes the bread rise.

I would assume that you don't want your bee patty to ferment, so brewer's yeast probably is preferable but not absolute.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2012, 06:06:33 pm »
Adding sugar to regular baker's yeast doesn't kill it unless you overload it. That's why its usual to add a tablespoon of sugar to the yeast and water solution you prepare for bread baking.  Baker's yeast enzymes convert the sugar (glucose, fructose) to ethanol and carbon dioxide. The fermentation process is accompanied by the release of carbon dioxide which causes foaming and makes the bread rise.

I would assume that you don't want your bee patty to ferment, so brewer's yeast probably is preferable but not absolute.

yes but I have done patty with alive yeast 8 years and I suppose that you have never done it.

Optimum sugar content to make wine is 10%. Over that alcohol formation goes slower . So to make home wine put first 10%sugar and add it during next 2 weeks.

One kilo sugar gives in theory 500 g alcohol but in practice 400 g. I have made home wine and distilled brandy.  but I do not recommend those. Bad stuff. I got a serious  food allergy from that after 10 years making.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2012, 06:33:18 pm »
When you look berry jellies in crogery, quess why they all have 50% sugar?

When you open the jar, it gets at once microbia on the surface but it does not start to ferment or get mold. Reason is high sugar content.

When you make home jelly, remember use one kg sugar and one kg berries.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2012, 07:37:04 pm »
**Adding sugar to regular baker's yeast doesn't kill it unless you overload it.**

BROOKLYN BEES--- :)  can you tell me what amount would be considered overloaded -just how much would it take to
 inactivate the live yeast--maybe kill is the wrong word--DUNO  8-) RDY-B

« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 01:32:36 am by rdy-b »

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2012, 01:03:22 am »
**Adding sugar to regular baker's yeast doesn't kill it unless you overload it.**

can you tell me what amount would be considered overloaded -just how much would it take to
 inactivate the live yeast--maybe kill is the wrong word--DUNO  8-) RDY-B

it does not help to tell you.

But you may do your own measurement. Bye on kilo living yeast and one kilo sugar.
Then start to mix it. First put half of sugar into yeast = about 30%. Wait that it start to bubble.
Then add so long that no bubbles appear.

The yeast does not die. When you add water, it starts fermenting as honey do. Honey has 80%sugar.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2012, 01:21:52 am »
  can you be more exact--add sugar to yeast ---??? this is a killo-killo--how much watter
 or are you HFCS--at what rate-??  RDY-B

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2012, 01:30:46 am »
**The yeast does not die. When you add water, it starts fermenting as honey do. Honey has 80%sugar**
 not quite the same without the bee spit-- :lol:

http://www.jesterbee.com/Beebread.html

**A protein honeybee feed made from multiple ingredients to make it more nutritionally balanced. It is over 20% protein, 40% simple sugars, 5% vitamins and minerals, 5% fat. It is fermented and contains live and active probiotics (beneficial microorganisms). It is not sticky like most pollen patties. It can easily be portioned out with an ice cream spade. Because of this we are packaging it in bulk containers to make it cheaper and so you can portion exactly what you feel each hive needs.**

:lol:  they tell me bees dont eat it--Duno RDY-B

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2012, 01:55:41 am »
I was given a recipe with bread yeast in it for ant control-mix the yeast with pepsicola
 and they go to a warm place and they explode--RDY-B

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2012, 02:10:58 pm »
What ever. This is not my problem.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2012, 03:20:38 pm »
  oky doaky no problem-makes for interesting Discussion  ;) I will try some live yeast and report back
 if you say the bees will eat it thats good enough for me-- :)  RDY-B