Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Removal Question  (Read 1925 times)

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
Removal Question
« on: August 25, 2010, 07:52:06 pm »
Greetings!

I have been informed about a colony that has been living in an old unused (for regular services anyway) country Church, and I have the opportunity to rescue them.

I have not been to the site yet, as it is 2 hours away, and they have been there for 3 years I was told.

Since watching many videos of JP and Shawee and their adventures, I have been itching for this opportunity. I am still pretty new to this, I have 14 hives and all I have done so far out of the ordinary, is catch a couple of swarms, so I have few concerns regarding these bees.

Here in South Dakota, the nectar flows are pretty much over, and I am envisioning a pretty good sized colony with pretty good stores put up, and likely, they are going to be a little ornery. Would I be better off waiting till spring when their numbers are down and combs not so loaded as it takes a lot of honey to get a hive through one of our winters?...I am anxious and excited about the opportunity, but it is a couple of relatives that oversee the care of the building, and they will wait if need be.

Opinions and advice are surely wanted, and needed.

I will get up there in the next few days and survey the situation and get some pics if need be.

Thanks.........Joel

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Removal Question
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 07:57:30 pm »
Chance of survival if moved now... 1 in 10,000 in North Dakota.

Chance of survival if moved at beginning of spring honey flow... 8 in 10.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 06:53:45 am »
Thanks iddee

Kinda what I suspected, I will have some time to prepare.

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 07:12:15 pm »
I just moved one where the building was going to be demolished in 5 days - I would have loved to have waited until Spring.  Wait.

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

anything