Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Insolation support rods  (Read 2479 times)

Offline Stone

• House Bee
Insolation support rods
« on: March 01, 2011, 11:34:58 pm »
I think can be used to mount cut out combs onto frames. Haven't tried it yet but it's an idea. They fit perfectly through the holes on the ends of frames, so I thought combs can be "skewered" and mounted onto frames while doing a extraction or cut out.  Just snip the ends with metal sheers. I've tried rubber bands - (when I attempted to rescue a feral hive from a storm torn tree) -  and it took forever.  Anybody try something like this yet?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Insolation support rods
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 11:37:30 pm »
you'd probably stab through some brood.  next time, try putting the rubber bands on the frames before you start.  then you just have to slip the over the brood.  use the fat ones that office supply places carry.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Stone

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 11:41:57 pm »
Thanks, Kathy.  Yeh, I realize I'd probably lose some brood with this method.  And I did have the rubber bands on the frames first.  Still took forever.  My problem was cutting the combs the right size to fit into the frame. Too small, they'd kind of dangle.  Too big and they'd get smooshed.  If I skewered them, they'd be stable no matter what.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 11:57:08 pm »
It takes a bit to get the hang of rubber bands but it'll come to you soon enough. I use #64 bands. They are pretty wide and are just the right size for deep frames. I buy them in 2lb bags from office depot.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Humanbeeing

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 02:01:06 am »
Putting comb into frames is one of the hardest things I have ever done. It's usually hotter than heck, and the comb is super soft. I did a cut out last year on the hottest day in August, and the comb was so soft, it could not be done. It was like trying to put socks on a rooster. I am convinced that hinged frames are the way to go. Now, I just need to find the time to build some.
http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/cut-out-frames/
HELP! I accidently used Drone eggs with the Hopkins method and I got Drag Queens!!!