Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello, looking for a mentor  (Read 3560 times)

Offline jabourns

• New Bee
Hello, looking for a mentor
« on: April 17, 2006, 11:17:55 am »
First off I'd like to say "Hi" to the Beemaster...your sight has really been informative and I think I'm going to give beekeeping a try soon(ish). :)  

Before I delve too far into the world of newbie beekeeping, I was wondering if there are any beekeepers on the forums near my locale.  I am looking for a seasoned beekeeper I could observe to learn from and experience beekeeping first-hand.  I live in Atkins, Arkansas, which is about 20 minutes due east of Russellville and about an hour west of Little Rock.  If anyone is interested in taking me under their wing, my email is jabourns@yahoo.com.  Thanks.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 12:27:51 pm »
Hi Jabourns:

Thanks for the Hello and Howdy right back!!!!

I added your location to your profile, it may help in your quest for a mentor in your area - I wish you luck!!!!

Glad my site and now the forum is helping you get excited about the hobby, I promise it is a lot of fun to participate in, EVEN if you only follow the adventures of others through their blogs and posted messages.

Learning that keeping bees is often frustrating is something you will quickly learn, but success stories are abound too - so you can experience all levels of adventure here!!!

Best of luck in your search for help.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline jabourns

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 07:23:50 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome  :D

manowar422

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 08:56:21 pm »
jabourns,

Welcome to the forums :)

http://arbeekeepers.org/

Offline jabourns

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 11:42:26 pm »
Thanks, and thanks for the link!

manowar422

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 05:36:56 pm »
Thanks, and thanks for the link!

Have you been able to hook up with any bekprs yet?

Offline jabourns

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 11:27:46 am »
Not yet, but reading these forums and other sites are helping me grasp alot of the concepts...it's not hands on, but I can visualize alot of what's being said.  

My father was a beekeeper for many years and I helped him as a youth before his hives were decimated by mites (can't remember what type).  Interestingly enough, when I was 3 years old, I decided that grabbing a stick and shoving it in the hive entrance was a good idea.  I was banging the stick around inside the hive and was later hospitalized because of the number of stings i received.  My siblings were supposed to be watching me, but apparently they weren't!  Of course I was too young to remember all of this, so no induced trauma. :)  

I'm really liking the idea of TBH's (thanks to Michael's answers to some questions I posed), and am working toward an inexpensive design that will hopefully pan out.  I'm shooting to have all equipment ready for next year, and some added knowledge to boot thanks to alot of you guys.  I'm hoping to maybe luck into someone willing to part with some bees in my area as I really don't see myself going the packaged bee route if they have to be shipped.  Once received, I think I will introduce one of Michael's feral survivor queens and get the small comb cell started as soon as possible...maybe I'll even luck into someone who is doing small cell...in any case, looking forward to next year :)  

Thanks for asking!

anything