Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey from Dead Hive  (Read 1679 times)

Offline Palouse

• House Bee
Honey from Dead Hive
« on: January 23, 2014, 06:52:54 pm »
This fall I fed too much 2:1 sugar water too late into the fall, and one hive took a lot. The hive died sometime in the last three weeks, and I think because of the moisture in the hive. I took the hive down last weekend, and I now have a bunch of frames of honey that I don't want to feed my family or sell because I put Flumagilin-B in the first batch of sugar water, and I don't want to run the risk of feeding it to my kids.

My first question is, will Flumagilin-B tainted honey/sugar water keep? If so, how do I store these things? They're currently in my cold garage in supers, but my concern is over the summer. I unfortunately don't have the freezer space. Any ideas are welcome.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
Re: Honey from Dead Hive
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 07:00:30 pm »
Capt honey will keep.

That beeing said, why did they die? Is the feed they have in the comb contaminated?

If the slightest risk is possible don't put it into Another hive continuing a cycle of contamination.

mvh Edward  :-P

Offline Palouse

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 08:37:46 pm »
Thanks. I think it was too wet in the hive, but that's a guess.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 09:32:59 pm »
How and where did they die?

what do the frames look like

Offline Palouse

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 10:58:43 pm »
They were all over the hive. A lot of them were clustered near where the frames rest on the rabbet in the box, some looked alive like they were just resting on the comb, and some looked like they starved to death. It was quite wet in the hive, and then two or three instances I could see standing water on the frames. Another thing I noted, especially in the top box, was a lot of scat. I treated for Nosema, so I initially ruled that out, but I guess it could've been dysentery.

Offline Palouse

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 10:59:57 pm »
By "clustered" I mean they were clustered in small groups.