Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Can taking antihistimines cause reactions to become worse?  (Read 6300 times)

Offline lost_mitt

• Brood
Can taking antihistimines cause reactions to become worse?
« on: June 04, 2006, 06:37:25 pm »
I  work as a beekeeper and I get stung a few times every week. I don't have a bad reaction to being stung- usually just a bit of itchy swelling at the sting spot the next day.

I do have a seasonal allergy to certain grasses which can make me sneeze and can be very annoying in certain beeyards.

Will taking an antihistimine help create an allergy to beestings? Is there any information about what kind of medications a beekeeper can or cannot take?

I found a bit of info on the web saying that anti-inflamatories can worsen reactions. Is this fact or fiction?

Thanks

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 06:47:03 pm »
Antihistimines cause your body to stop creating histamines. when you have a bad reaction, an allergy, it is because your body goes into over drive creating the histimines that are reacting to whatever you are allergic to.

Taking a Benadryl would not cause you to have a worse reaction to a beesting.

Granted, I'm not a doctor and I don't know what the heck I'm talking about.

Offline yoderski

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 12:41:27 am »
Well Amy, I am a doctor and you have it right (except for the spelling of antihistamine).  They won't make you have a more severe reaction, in fact in general it should decrease any reaction to any kind of allergen such as a bee sting.....
Jon Y.
Atmore, AL

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 01:08:18 am »
And also of note: A little swelling is not an allergic reaction.  Too many people think if they swell at all they are allergic--bee aware and educate.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline lost_mitt

• Brood
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 01:47:23 am »
Thanks for the responses

I was told by a co-worker that I shouldn't take antihistimines because the body produces histimines as an immune response to the sting. By blocking the production of histimine on a somewhat regular basis I could create an allergy to stings and unwanted tragedy when my seasonal hayfever ends.

Is there no chance of this? Can I add this theory to the list of beekeeping myths?

just to be sure...

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 07:32:19 am »
Thanks yoderski - I watch alot of the discovery channel. . . .

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 01:53:29 pm »
Well normally Benadryll works fine for us.  But this last time my son was stung by five at once (see weak hive and SHB?) The Benadryll worked fine.  This is also his worst time of year with pecan, oak, hickory and another nut tree pollen.  When he complained about the itching my wife gave him another dose and the itching got worse.  We stopped after that and his allergist is going to do another test, but the itching returned to a tolerable level and stopped last night.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline drgenegarris

• New Bee
    • http://honeybees.drgarris.com
What do you think about OTC epinephrine inhalers
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 02:30:45 pm »
Quote from: yoderski
Well Amy, I am a doctor and you have it right (except for the spelling of antihistamine).  They won't make you have a more severe reaction, in fact in general it should decrease any reaction to any kind of allergen such as a bee sting.....

as an emergency measure in your beeyard?

Offline Doorman

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 12:05:15 am »
I'm allergic to bee catalogs. everytime I pick one up I get hives. benadryll doesn't seem to help .
Some call me a bee farmer, I prefer rancher. What
with millions of tiny livestock foraging the open range, spring and fall round ups. Boy howdy branding their little butts sure is tedious.

Offline yoderski

• House Bee
OTC epinephrine inhalers
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 12:47:09 am »
In general, you whould probably stay away from them because of side effects--an antihistamine such as Benadryl would be safer.  For someone who is truly allergic, an Epipen (which is epinephrine) is advisable, but I agree that most people who are saying they are allergic to bee stings just swell up a lot, and are not truly allergic.
Jon Y.
Atmore, AL

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 11:21:21 am »
Doorman,

And at today's prices we all feel like we're getting stung.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Doorman

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 07:31:36 pm »
At least somebody is making money with bees.
with millions of tiny livestock foraging the open range, spring and fall round ups. Boy howdy branding their little butts sure is tedious.

Offline melliphile

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006, 11:31:31 pm »
I have to agree with Doorman.  Most people who say they're allergic, aren't.  Benadryll can be useful for face or head stings.  Could save you from going to, say, a wedding as the elephant man.  It's no secret that the more you get stung the less ye shall swell.   I recieve most of my stings at home with tweezers.  Either to the arms, legs ar any other afflicted area.  After about 15 to 20 stings I'm usually immune, i.e. no more swelling than a mosquito bite.  It still smarts the same :shock: , but much kinder to places like the fingers.
"Never discourage anyone who continually makes progress, no matter how slow." -Plato

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2006, 12:40:30 am »
You guys actually take all those chemcials when you get stung?  Benedryl?  Why not just let your body get used to it.  After a while they don't hurt much or for long.  Plantain will do more good anyway.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2006, 03:15:34 pm »
Quote from: Michael Bush
You guys actually take all those chemcials when you get stung?  Benedryl?  Why not just let your body get used to it.  After a while they don't hurt much or for long.  Plantain will do more good anyway.

Well no, I don't take anything. Except for maybe beer. I hear beer is good for everything. ;)

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2006, 02:01:15 am »
Beer doesn't cure anything it just makes you oblivious or too drunk to care.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2006, 02:06:41 pm »
Quote from: Brian D. Bray
Beer doesn't cure anything it just makes you oblivious or too drunk to care.

Sounds like someone could use a beer. :)

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Doorman

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2006, 01:05:54 am »
some consider a sixpack to be group therapy.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2006, 06:31:15 am »
Well just remember going into you're bees after a cold one is one sure way of getting nailed.  I abstain from all alocholic beverages because as a cop I saw up close the down side.  I've known people who wouldn't drink anything that didn't contain water.  
Can you think of any beverage that doesn't contain water?

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2006, 06:34:51 am »
i've worked my bees after a cold one. i was not nailed at all. but i will try it again.

anything