Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Green Honey?  (Read 7945 times)

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Green Honey?
« on: September 04, 2006, 10:48:42 pm »
There was the better part of a frame of honey in the brood box of one of my hives at the squash field.  Half of it was capped and the other wasn't -- and what I saw of the uncapped honey was bright green.  Bright green like fourescent green, with a tinge of yellow.  It looked like antifreeze, but when I poked at it with a twig it was thick -- like honey.  

I've read that purple loosetrife can produce honey with a greenish tinge, but this is far beyond a tinge.  I don't really know where they would get into colored syrup out there on the farm, and I wouldn't think they would be likely to gather and cure poisonous antifreeze.

Any ideas?  And do you think this stuff might be good to eat?

-- Kris

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Green Honey?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 02:19:19 am »
I have seen some pics of green honey in cells, it almost looks like it glows, I think it is purple loose-strife that produces green honey.... some plant give strange colors of honey, a guy about 40 mile from me gets a few frames of blue honey during the fall, he told me the name of the tree but I cant think of it now.......
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline mat

• House Bee
Green Honey?
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 08:27:43 am »
It may be honey dew.
mat

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Green Honey?
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 12:40:33 pm »
Thanks, Ted.  This stuff does seem to glow, like it's radioactive.  There is a river across the road from the squash field, so I suppose the loosestrife is growing there.  Is this stuff good to eat, or is it like junk honey?

-- Kris

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
Green Honey?
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 12:54:16 pm »
Quote from: Kris^
Is this stuff good to eat, or is it like junk honey?

-- Kris

a bit silly question in my opinion. if the bees store it, then it's 100% edable don't you think??, show us some pics, and tell us about the taste.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Green Honey?
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 01:14:26 pm »
I agree it would be good to eat like all other honeys, someone had pic's on here before with glowing green honey and I cant find the post, but I would like to try it myself Kris......
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Green Honey?
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 01:37:28 pm »
Quote from: Mici

a bit silly question in my opinion. if the bees store it, then it's 100% edable don't you think??

Might want to research more there Mici;

"I got into some green honey and shortly after had gut wrenching cramps,"

From this article

http://www.hbd.org/brewery/library/HonD.html
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
Green Honey?
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 02:25:27 pm »
ooops my bad. thanks for informing us.

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Green Honey?
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 12:44:15 am »
I'll try to get some pics of this frame of green honey in the next few days.

-- Kris

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Green Honey?
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 01:23:11 am »
Usually the amount of nectar from poisonous plants is so small that it has no or little effect.  Sometimes, especially during periods of dearth, when the main sources of nectar may be limited to poisonous plants or they are the vast majority then it can become a serious problem.  This has been a good year for the exceptions to kick in.
I would discard the green honey.  
OR You could bottle some as conversation pieces.
OR You could label it "Genuine Ghost Buster's Slime"  not for human consumption--well cause illness.  :(
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Green Honey?
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 01:41:06 am »
:?: Get it tested :?:
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
Green Honey?
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 10:20:18 pm »
JerryMac is right, getting it tested would be a good idea.  With all of the weather changes globallly summers are changing.  The Fraser valley of British Columbia got 10 percent of our regular rainfall this august.  That was a good article, I've been looking for info on this topic.  My textbook from my beekeeping course "Beekeeping in Western Canada" briefly mentions this problem, but I couldn't find more info.  I hacked down the Rhodos around my house,  :evil: and was looking up mountain laurel species.  There doesn't seem to be much mountain laurel here, but there is vetch.

Offline TapStoneBees

• New Bee
Green Honey...
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 02:12:39 am »
So I read that honey dew is the cause of this green honey.

Many wonder what honeydew is, the plant/melon or ????
Well after my day with the bees, I decided to go about the garden deadheading plants of all sorts for about two hours.... I touched and broke off with my hands numerous amounts of vegetation... all to make a point.

I looked at my hands I had earlier worked with burr comb and bees, and though they looked soiled did not look dirty.  Well to my surprise when water was added at the sink. The most vibrant colours of Green and yellow, Just like that of the afore mentioned "Antifreeze", this leads me to think.  It must be a cominaiton of wax, propolis, and honeydew from the plants, that when combined together creates this amazing hue.  To think that you have it Captured in Honey... We all want photos, and tell us how it tastes.   The honeydew by the way, is that texture you find on plants flowers and trees, that feeling of Dry&Sticky at the same time.  If you can smell the plant residual on your hand... that is the natural oils, and  honeydew, as so it seems.
"Do or Do Not.... there is no Try!"

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Green Honey?
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 07:52:07 am »
Honeydew comes from aphids and/or tree sap.  Anything but nectar.

Most green honey I've heard of, is purple loosestrife.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Green Honey?
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2006, 04:22:20 pm »
Well, it took me a few days, but I finally got some pictures of this green honey.  In the last six days it lost its "flourescent" quality, but is still a dusky olive-green.  The pictures don't show it as clearly as in real life, but you can still see the green coloration:

Compared to cells of "regular" honey:

Last Monday it fairly glowed in the cells.

-- Kris

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Green Honey?
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2006, 09:58:03 pm »
MYBE THE BEE HAVE TAKEN TO IRRADIATING THE HONEY FOR SANITATION PURPOSES.  LOL :)
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Dick Allen

• House Bee
Green Honey?
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2006, 01:12:44 am »
Green honey has been noticed by beekeepers for some time. Some are alarmed by it or at least puzzled. I think it is from purple loosestrife, too. I see some of that honey in my frames up here in Anchorage from time to time.

You can stick a toothpick into some of it just to get a tiny taste. I’m sure you’ll find it’s ok.