Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: KTBH with a Twist  (Read 3395 times)

Offline Jon McFadden

• House Bee
KTBH with a Twist
« on: September 05, 2005, 04:49:25 am »
I finally saw a KTBH that got me off the fence. Construction of one has started.
http://nordykebeefarm.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36&PN=1&TPN=1
Jon, N6VC/5

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
KTBH with a Twist
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 12:13:14 pm »
When I've done something similar I've put plexiglass for the entire wall, framed it with one by twos (drilled and countersunk so there is no stress on the plexi) and cut a piece of one by to fit the hole and put toggles on a screw to hold it in.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jon McFadden

• House Bee
KTBH with a Twist
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 01:55:10 pm »
Hi Michael,
I ran across a picture of the design I am using on a web site. I wish I had bookmarked it, but I didn't.
I wanted to be able to shut the sun out when I wasn't viewing. The pieces of Lexan that I had wouldn't have been enough to do what you did. I wanted this to be a fully functional design with or without the viewing window.

Plans have been added. More pictures will be added.

Jon
Jon, N6VC/5

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
KTBH with a Twist
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 10:58:58 pm »
I must not be describing it well.  I have the entire wall made of plexi with a frame around it like this:

http://www.bushfarms.com/images/LangDeepObservation.jpg

Then there is a piece of wood cut to fit inside that frame that complete blocks the light.  Then there are two toggles, one at the top and one at the bottom that simply turn vertically to hold it in or horizontally to let the wood fall out of the frame.  So the wood totally blocks the light when it's in and is removed to open the window.  Does that make better sense?

All I'm saying is it takes less woodworking skills to not have to cut the rabbets and all for the sliding door.

Of course if you're good at woodworking, it's not that much work either way.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jon McFadden

• House Bee
KTBH with a Twist
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 01:04:27 am »
Michael,
Your right. Iassumed you were referring to the entire length of a top bar hive. For me, that would have required a several pieces framed or one long piece 48" long minus the associated framing.
Yours would be ok.
Since I was mainly interested in viewing the brood nest, I kept the viewing area to the front with the second window for illumination mainly.
I don't know how successful the design will be until next fall. I just know this is what I had been looking for. Now if only the bees will concur :-).
Jon, N6VC/5