Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey Results this year  (Read 5715 times)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Honey Results this year
« on: September 14, 2006, 02:18:55 pm »
well I was just wondering how everyone did this year with thier honey results... mine could have been better, my clover field didn't turn out to be to good this year and my hives stayed here on my place.... it was a dry year also and this past spring was all messed up with late frost and such plus I shook bees from all my hives to make nucs for queen rearing  so I know I set them back alot... I ended up averaging 84-85 pounds a hive.. I only supered 5 hives this year..
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Honey Results this year
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 02:49:26 pm »
We had, and still have,  hot and dry summer.  Honey yield seemed bad but I got a good honey dew yield. It has special taste.

What I again noticed the flying distance has great importance for yield.

I renewed my system and my average yield jumped 80%. It seems that level is permanent.

My basic notice was that yield between sites varies too much. I thought that bee hives are to many in one plays and in bad years they have not enough nectar in flowers in deasent

* Good, complex pastures, much nectar and in near distance is one basic.
* not too much bees in one site
* distance of sites is better to be 1- 2 mile than all in one site.
* not cultivated corn fields around hives.

* good spring build up to get early summer's yield.

Offline rsilver000

• House Bee
Honey Results this year
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 03:19:06 pm »
2 hives in upstate, New York: 7 1/2 gallons of honey so far.

I am taking off the supers this weekend for the last extraction.  I have 2 supers with capped ross rounds that are also coming off
Not too bad
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
Honey results
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 08:41:12 pm »
I had my Best year ever here in L A. about 130 pounds two hives.The honey flows are not as intense as when I lived in Utah.I worked out handling ants this year also.
A good year
kirk0
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Honey Results this year
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 04:02:16 pm »
Here in SW Michigan I got about 350 lbs (~30 gal).  Maybe 90 lbs or less was leftover from last year.

I think that was pretty good considering it was from:
1 hive started with a package in mid April
2 hives barely made it(down to 2 frames or less), requeened in spring, were behind the pkg in buildup
3 swarms
all on drawn comb.

Most of the summer was quite dry, but the summer flow seemed to be very good (to me at least).
Rick

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
Honey Results this year
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 05:32:16 pm »
winter 2005/2006 +sumer 2006 - EXTREME
awful winter, bees weren't able to fly over 100 days, varoa pressed really hard, lot of keepers lost everything or close to it.
spring- rain rain and rain, everyone thought that the bees who didn't die throu winter will die in spring.
but as i said extreme, after the spring rain came drought, more than 50 days without one drop of rain. yet bees were enabled to reach records after the rain.
anyway yields were AT LEAST 120 lbs per hive, and i think yields were somewhere over 200lbs per hive
one word-extreme

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
Honey Results this year
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 06:11:36 pm »
more than 50 days without one drop of rain

Mici, more than 50 days without one drop of rain? When are you going to buy a camel? :lol:

Seriously, here never rain during the summer -from may to september/october, it is beach time and it is not allowed. But thymus, sunflower and eucaliptus are good summer nectar sources.

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
Honey Results this year
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 12:05:32 am »
South Alabama underwent a major drought so my new hives did not give me any surplus.

Thers's always next year......
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Honey Results this year
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 01:26:22 am »
In my place in Finland it rained during summer  3 moths  20 mm water.

At the beginning of September it rained 50 mm during a week.

For drynes honey dew yield was bigger than ever seen my 45 year as beekeeping.

It sounds that in Slovenia winter comes like in Finland. Not big differencies.

Last morning my collaques scraped ice from they car windows in inland.

Offline 2-Wheeler

• House Bee
    • http://www.beesandblooms.org
Honey Results this year
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 02:09:12 am »
First season hive, started May 6th, we had a total of 4.00 inches of rain since April 1st (2.00 of that fell in July).  But we maintain an irrigated garden. We had 49 lbs.
-David Broberg   CWOP#: CW5670 / CoCoRaHS #CO-BO-218
Blog: http://beesandblooms.blogspot.com/
My Weather: http://www.leyner.org/
My Flickr Album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dbroberg/

IndianaBrown

Honey Results this year
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2006, 10:17:55 am »
Hive #1 started at the beginning of May from a nuc.
Hive #2 started at the end of May from a small captured swarm.

Considering the weather (alternating too wet and too dry) and my newbie learing curve, I am satisfied with the 42 pounds I harvested.  Almost all of it came from hive #1.

Assuming they winter well I hope to do much better next year.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Honey Results this year
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2006, 01:25:04 am »
Assuming they winter well, you will.  In a properly ventilated hive you should be able to get 180+ lbs per hive in a decent location.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Honey Results this year
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 10:47:18 pm »
200 lbs. out of 5 hives, one of them half a super of cut comb, and the rest averaging 45 lbs. apiece.  The season started early, but seeing as July was extra hot and August was dry until the last couple days, it could certainly be worse.  Not over yet, though; I'll be pulling the last supers in a couple weeks.

-- Kris

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
Honey Results this year
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2006, 01:18:10 am »
My two hives started from nucs in April gave me about 100 pounds of honey total - I still haven't bottled the last super I crushed and strained, but the total before that one was 85 pounds - so I think it will be about 100.  

Since I did crush and strain, mine will have to draw comb again next year, but I'll have established hives instead of starting from scratch.  

I'm pleased with the results this year.....and I entered chunk honey in my local beekeeper's annual meeting contest - and it came in 2nd place!  I was thrilled.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Honey Results this year
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2006, 12:57:47 pm »
Quote from: tillie
I'm pleased with the results this year.....and I entered chunk honey in my local beekeeper's annual meeting contest - and it came in 2nd place!  I was thrilled.

congrats tillie, bet you really got a kick out of that
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline nhbloke

• New Bee
Honey Results this year
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2006, 06:14:36 pm »
I was very pleased with my 21lbs out of my hive this year which i started with a package in April and it swamed in july. John

Offline DBoire

• House Bee
Honey Results this year
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2006, 08:19:06 pm »
Quote from: Brian D. Bray
Assuming they winter well, you will.  In a properly ventilated hive you should be able to get 180+ lbs per hive in a decent location.

Wow,.. Here in NY, the number talked about is 100#/hive.  I did ~50/hive but  harvested July 30th. as I needed to move the hives.  I did a ether roll and needed to treat 2 of my three hives - pulled the harvest, treated all 3,..and am setting them up for winter. Finsky,.. I know, I could have worked out a more productive harvest sechedule,.. but I'm just learning :)
D

Offline Bee Brothers Apiary

• New Bee
    • EveryThing Honey Bee, Inc.
Re: Honey Results this year
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 11:37:14 am »
Surfing old posts. How's your honey crop in NY looking so far?? Lots of rain here this year, so far, not looking good. one full medium on most, maybe..

Offline Mike Tuggle

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 01:15:09 pm »
In my Langs, although I have supers (1) on a couple of hives, they are still working on filling their "winter stores" top box.  Supers are cleaned and ready but so far nothing at all.

Zip - 12572

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 02:53:10 pm »
50% down from last year!
John 3:16

Offline Irina

• New Bee
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 03:29:25 pm »
Wow...! A lot of honey you got already. Congratulations!

However, I am concerned now. Either I don't have a good honey flow here, or I am bad beekeeper. The weather is not bad here - sunny days with occasional rain.
I have total of 4 hives now:

3 hives survived very well from last year. They were damaged a little bit in spring by raccoon, but managed to survive well. 2 of them had swarm in the begging of June.
1 hive from split.

All 4 hives from my point of view are doing well, strong colonies. They have honey in the brood chambers (I use deep boxes)
I only put 1 super on 2 hives, and they just started working on them. 2 other hives are not ready for supers.
I am wondering if you extract your honey from the brood boxes??? How it is possible your bees already collected so much honey?
Anyone, Any suggestions?
Thank you.
Irina, NB

"Always learning"

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 04:06:32 pm »
How in the world, a 2006 post resurrected ( i guess cause I posted on it)--- maybe now its the longest on going post in beemaster history  :-D
John 3:16

Offline Irina

• New Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 04:21:56 pm »
Thank you sc-bee,
I did not even see the year. I feel better now!
Irina, NB

"Always learning"

Offline Bee Brothers Apiary

• New Bee
    • EveryThing Honey Bee, Inc.
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 11:43:29 pm »
My pleasure "resurrecting it"

applicable every year, imo.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 12:17:00 am »
Just a WAG but if I count as producers only the six  five frame nucs I bought in April that endured ice and snow until after the middle of May and then way too much rain for another month.  I will get sixty to eighty pounds average from them and that is drawing all comb.  I guess it hasn't been so bad.  My first year with carniolans and they started backfilling the brood boxes some time ago.  The flow continues which surprises me.  Near forty degrees last night, winter is coming.