Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: AHB removal from house  (Read 3762 times)

Offline KarlD

• New Bee
AHB removal from house
« on: February 23, 2014, 03:28:56 pm »
I took the siding off one of our houses at our ranch and the bees came out ready to rumble.  I know they are AHB because they constantly pinged my suit even after I was 100 yds away.  I put the siding back on and let them calm down.  2 days later a rogue bee or two are still buzzing my head 150 feet away trying to light me up.   I host hunters at our ranch and have a day this week between hunters when I'll be alone.  Normally I would try and save this colony and re queen but I'm worried my hunters will get stung repeatedly.  I should probably spray these, right?

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: AHB removal from house
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 07:20:52 pm »
I would say they need to go.

Would be nice if somebody knew of some way to kill them but not contaminate the honey or wax.

Anybody know of a way?
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 08:23:18 pm »
Put a tablespoon of powdered sulfur in the smoker. It will kill them immediately and dissipate within minutes. Honey will be fine.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 10:35:21 pm »
Well duh, I knew that. Need to put my thinking cap on.  :roll:
I must be getting old  :'(  :-D :-D
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 10:54:01 pm »
Sure glad I ain't as old as you.....  :mrgreen:
 :lau: :lau:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline jredburn

• House Bee
    • Poorboybees
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 11:16:54 pm »
If you cannot find powered sulfur , try half a dozen mothballs.  It will drive the girls out if there is a little ventilation and will kill them in a closed space,
I use them to keep bees from moving back into a cavity I have just done a cutout on.  They also speed up a trapout considerably.
Regards
Joe

Offline KarlD

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 03:33:18 pm »
I'll give the mothballs a try but if that doesn't work, insecticide will, since I still can't get within 50' of the hive and it's been 4 days. Thanks for your suggestions.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 04:37:15 pm »
Night time with a red light if needed.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 03:49:34 pm »
No offense but did you try using smoke on this colony? If its just a worked up European colony they will follow you a ways too sometimes, especially if they were aggravated. Moth balls btw, work as a fumigant & will only work as long as they produce vapor. I've removed two hives that come to mind that had full boxes contained in the wall void where a prior hive was. Best thing is to seal the exterior or have someone else bee proof. If they can't get in, they have no choice but to move on or build externally, which is a gift from above in most cases :)

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline KarlD

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 09:44:50 am »
This was the third colony that has moved into a building here. The first was just like this one.  They were on me and didn't let up for 200 yards plus away from the hive.  I was like Pigpen.  I had a cloud following me.   The second colony was completely docile when I was able to get them into a swarm box. Night and day.  This latter colony's hive was where the rafters met the ceiling joists near the edge of the roof.  There was no way to save any comb without removing the metal roof which was over cedar shakes.  The corrugated roof was open all the way down the roof line where one would have to plug ever valley.  I really wanted to try and salvage and tame this hive but I have too many paying customers on the premises that I didn't want getting stung.   Which leads me to a question.  Will AHBs try and move into a calm hive and take over?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 01:43:21 pm »
This was the third colony that has moved into a building here. The first was just like this one.  They were on me and didn't let up for 200 yards plus away from the hive.  I was like Pigpen.  I had a cloud following me.   The second colony was completely docile when I was able to get them into a swarm box. Night and day.  This latter colony's hive was where the rafters met the ceiling joists near the edge of the roof.  There was no way to save any comb without removing the metal roof which was over cedar shakes.  The corrugated roof was open all the way down the roof line where one would have to plug ever valley.  I really wanted to try and salvage and tame this hive but I have too many paying customers on the premises that I didn't want getting stung.   Which leads me to a question.  Will AHBs try and move into a calm hive and take over?
Yes
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 05:54:49 pm »
Karl, research "usurpation" of AHB over other honey bee colonies.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 06:14:34 am »
Karl, research "usurpation" of AHB over other honey bee colonies.

...JP

JP,
That's the word I could not remember. It's terrible getting old.  :?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 07:33:01 am »
Tell me about Jim :)

...JP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KarlD

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 09:08:37 am »
Will do. Thanks, JP.

anything