Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Yet another new beek needing some advice  (Read 3772 times)

Offline craneman54

• House Bee
Yet another new beek needing some advice
« on: April 22, 2015, 11:13:02 pm »
I checked one of my swarm traps this morning. Finally saw some bees (although not alot of bees) going in and out, one even had pollen in her leg baskets. Due to circumstances beyond my control I have not been able to check my traps for about 2.5 weeks,so I don't know how long the bees have been in my trap.

My traps are 10 frame medium hives with hard board tops and bottoms hug in trees about 7 or 8 feet off the ground.

As I have a ton of things tomorrow and rain is predicted for the next few days,how long can the swarm stay in the traps before moving them to the hive stand.

Also these bees seem rather small in size. Are there any other insects that look like bees and gather pollen that are not really bees??? I live in central Louisiana if that helps.

Thanks for any and all response's.

I have posted this on another forum also.
Retired crane operator
I love woodturning

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
Re: Yet another new beek needing some advice
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 11:47:52 pm »
You are probably ok on your time frame.  How long they can stay in there is dependent on several factors, as is true with many questions about bees.  Population, weather and resources being a few of the main factors dealing with answering your question.  Swarms continue to amaze me at how quickly they can build. They build like their life depends on it. Because it does.  Have you considered taking the lid off and see what they are doing? Another idea is lift up on the trap and see how heavy it feels. 

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 11:48:56 pm »
Do you have frames in that swarm box?
   Depending on what you have in there, they could possibly be left alone another two weeks, it all depends on how much of a mess you dont mind cleaning up.   If you have a box with no frames, they are drawing comb from the lid, and the longer you wait, the more of a chore it will be to cut them out. If you have frames with foundation, or preferably drawn foundation on a couple they will be fine right there for another month if they need to be.
   Get a picture of the bees. It will be easier to identify what you have.
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline craneman54

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 01:13:56 am »
You are probably ok on your time frame.  How long they can stay in there is dependent on several factors, as is true with many questions about bees.  Population, weather and resources being a few of the main factors dealing with answering your question.  Swarms continue to amaze me at how quickly they can build. They build like their life depends on it. Because it does.  Have you considered taking the lid off and see what they are doing? Another idea is lift up on the trap and see how heavy it feels.

There is a small slough right behind the trap, plenty of water and lots of trees weeds and grass all around the area. Plus a crawfish pond within 10 feet in front of the trap.

I was thinking about pulling the cover this afternoon but was to busy dealing with other stuff.  I am sure I will be able to get to it by the middle of next week if life would quit getting in the way.

Do you have frames in that swarm box?
   Depending on what you have in there, they could possibly be left alone another two weeks, it all depends on how much of a mess you dont mind cleaning up.   If you have a box with no frames, they are drawing comb from the lid, and the longer you wait, the more of a chore it will be to cut them out. If you have frames with foundation, or preferably drawn foundation on a couple they will be fine right there for another month if they need to be.
   Get a picture of the bees. It will be easier to identify what you have.

I have all 10 frames in the trap. Canter frame has a full sheet of wired small cell foundation,all others have unwired starter strips. I wish I had some drawn comb,but I don't.

I will see about getting a pic of the bees tomorrow. I should be able to run over there right quick between errands and a Dr. visit.

I still need to build some boardman feeders some top feeders and some entrance reducers.Also need to find time to go check my 2 other traps. :rolleyes:

Man all of a sudden this retirement stuff is alot of work. :rolleyes:
Retired crane operator
I love woodturning

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 06:18:53 am »
I say this having zero experience with swarms.
I think you are going to be ok to wait. It might even be better if you do. Giving them time to build comb and the queen time to lay will help anchor them when you do move those frames to your permanent set-up. I wouldn't put it off too long though. As stated above swarms build quickly and you don't want them to run out of room and issue another swarm.
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 11:36:01 am »
I've found that a 3 lb package, hived on ~4 frames of comb, will keep themselves busy drawing out the other ~6 empty frames for about 2-3 weeks if I don't feed them constantly. After that, they are usually ready for more space. On the other hand, the big swarm I just caught may need a 3rd medium in another week or two.

Good luck, and welcome to retirement (semi, in my case).
The bees usually fix my mistakes

Offline craneman54

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 02:54:47 pm »
Here is a pic of one of the bees coming in with some pollen.

Retired crane operator
I love woodturning

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 05:20:10 pm »
That is a honey bee.  Bees on natural comb are noticeably smaller than bees from typical foundation.  They are 2/3 of the size of a "large cell" bee.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline craneman54

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 07:19:20 pm »
I figured that once I went take the picture today. I must not have had my glasses on yesterday when I saw I had a swarm in the box. I still have to make a feeder and an entrance reducer tomorrow, but then is is suppose to rain for the next 3 or 4 days so I still have time. :grin:
Retired crane operator
I love woodturning

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 06:42:45 am »
ditto on how fast a swarm may build up. I checked on a swarm that I hived in an 8f deep. In less than 8 to 10 days they had drawn out (minus the frame of comb I put in there) all but the outside of the two frames on each side. I couldn't believe it.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline craneman54

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 09:06:06 am »
Question I am thinking about just taking the hardboard bottom and top cover off the swarm trap and just setting it on a bottom board with the inner cover, feeder then outer cover. I cant think of any reason that this would not be ok. Less stress on the bees. 
Retired crane operator
I love woodturning

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 09:36:19 am »
Question I am thinking about just taking the hardboard bottom and top cover off the swarm trap and just setting it on a bottom board with the inner cover, feeder then outer cover. I cant think of any reason that this would not be ok. Less stress on the bees.

That is the advantage to using frames in your swarm box. Provided they did not cross comb, I would do exactly what you mentioned.
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline craneman54

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 11:04:17 am »
OK Thanks. I figured it would be the easiest and best way to do it.

I have other swarm boxes I can replace this one with.
Retired crane operator
I love woodturning

anything