Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Insurance question  (Read 1985 times)

Offline Shutrbug

• Brood
Insurance question
« on: September 28, 2013, 06:57:11 pm »
My bees are due to arrive with their hive on Monday. A local beek is selling one to me that just needs to be moved and it's all ready for the winter. Just today my wife asks me if I needed to add the bees to my Homeowner's Insurance. She said we would add a pool in case a neighbor fell in, so we should add the bees in case someone gets stung.

I honestly haven't thought about that before now. Does anyone have thoughts or advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
Re: Insurance question
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 07:07:37 pm »
I have a farm liability policy and i was very specific about needing coverage for bees.  It couldn't hurt.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 01:31:49 am »
There is a good chance that if you try to add bees to your policy that they will drop  your insurance completely.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 09:19:55 am »
Our homeowners gladly added a small ag agriculture amendment to our policy that covers Ber keeping. It was very inexpensive as I recall.If I get time I will look and see details?

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 09:21:34 am »
If you have a  agent you can trust,it should do no harm to ask.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 12:02:53 pm »
I have known several people who had their insurance dropped when they found out they had bees.  Farm Bureau will cover things like horses and bees on your liability.  Your current company would probably have to cover you, but may drop you if they find out.  If you want to know you have coverage, I would be prepared to change insurance companies...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Bee Curious

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 05:21:47 pm »
Now this may or may not apply to you.  I live in an urban area, have one hive, and my Like a Good Neighbor insurance company is fine with the bees.  I actually had the local office call the underwriting department, who said, "We care if you have a pool.  We care if you have a trampoline.  We want to at least know that you have a dog.  We don't care about a backyard beehive."  They said a stinging claim would be covered like a dog bite would.  Whether that means they'd drop you if you had a claim, I don't know.  
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 02:11:09 pm by Bee Curious »