Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Direct release queen acceptance if package is only a day old?  (Read 5080 times)

Offline eri

• House Bee
I think this has been asked and answered recently but I can't find it.

Tomorrow (Thursday) I pick up 2 packages of bees that will have been driven here (NC) overnight from Georgia on a flatbed truck with 500 other packages. I believe they will have been packaged today (Wednesday) - so the normal 2-4 day ship time in isolation will be bypassed. 1 package will go in a top bar hive, the other in a foundationless lang, side by side.

I understand about not hanging the queen cage as it can cause erratic first-comb building and that direct release is therefore preferred for both hive types.

But will these bees have been with the queen long enough in the package to "know the scent of their" queen and accept her on direct release, or should I store the packages for a day or 2 or 3 (how long?) to ensure a more successful acceptance?

On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
Re: Direct release queen acceptance if package is only a day old?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 09:58:01 pm »
If it was me, I'd store the packages for 24 to 36 hours before installing and releasing the queen. Store them in a dark place. Then you should be able to install the packages and release the queens with no problems.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 10:25:12 pm »
Put them in a cool dark basement and wait 24 hours if you like.  I find 2 hours is long enough for confused shaken out bees to be looking for a queen, any queen.

The problem I've had in recent times is whether I do or do not do a direct release a certain percentage of queens are just rejected and the bees move next door (if there is a package installed next door).  This seems to happen regardless of direct releasing or doing a candy release and seems to be because of the quality of queens dropping in recent years.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 11:02:51 pm »
Thanks, Ray and Michael. Into the garage they will go where they can rest in peace overnight before I confuse them again. I'll hive them Friday and hope they stay put!
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 12:58:27 pm »
How did your installs go?

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 01:48:35 pm »
How did your installs go?

I honestly don't know yet, Two Bees. I did not keep them in the garage overnight but installed them that afternoon (about 4 hours after pickup) since high winds were forecast (and indeed occurred) for the next day. When I checked after a week I saw neither queens nor eggs. Had planned to inspect today but winds are gusting to 35mph so will have to wait until tomorrow. I'll let you know.
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran