Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Going to go back to solid bottom boards  (Read 13709 times)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Going to go back to solid bottom boards
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 04:15:26 pm »
>I must remember are SBB a theory or fact ?? I do know I have tried both for quite a few years and see no difference in the number of varroa mites.

There was some peer reviewed research that showed a dramatic difference. There is a lot of anecdotal experience that it makes no difference...

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline ugcheleuce

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 06:02:09 pm »
I must remember: are SBB a theory or fact?

Since both "screened bottom board" and "solid bottom board" can be abbreviated "SBB", I'll assume you mean "screened".  It is theory, which is supported by some research, but research also indicates that the issue is not simple.  Examples:

http://www.countryrubes.com/images/AV-BOTTOM_BOARD.pdf
This study shows that screened boards reduce varroa only if they are "closed" (i.e. if the bottom board is a flat box with a screen at the top, and not simply a hole in the bottom of the hive with a screen across it).  The study also cites three other studies which concluded some stuff.

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/managing-varoa-part-1-ipm-realities/
In this repost, Roy Hendrickson states that he's phasing out screened boards in his 500 hives, but he doesn't say whether he had actually tested them against non-screened boards in a controlled study or whether he just got the impression that they're useless for him.
--
Samuel Murray, Apeldoorn, Netherlands
3 hives in desperate need of requeening :-)

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 08:51:55 am »
Since both "screened bottom board" and "solid bottom board" can be abbreviated "SBB", I'll assume you mean "screened".  

The proper name is the bottom board which there is abbreviation BB.
I heard them called "solid bottom board" or traditional bottom board,standard bottom board.  :roll: that's all I can think of for right now.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

anything