Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SHB crazy idea and encouraging news from my area for bees  (Read 7903 times)

Offline HomeSteadDreamer

• House Bee
Re: SHB crazy idea and encouraging news from my area for bees
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 07:11:23 pm »
I don't change the oil that often and you can buy a 1/2 quart at dollar general for $2.  I find one does my tray sometimes two trays depending on which hive it is under (I have top bars).  I just keep and eye on them and when the dead beetles, wax, pollen, propolis and such start to build up where there isn't enough liquid to drown them then I change them.  Last year I think I changed them twice but I should have changed them 3 times here in Florida.  I missed the fall change which is what got me over the winter, the hive survived but this spring I was loaded up with beetles.  I crushed some beetles and changed my oil now my hives have very few.  I don't know that I have ever not had any beetles but in Florida they are so prevalent.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2014, 12:36:04 pm »
How often do you have to change the oil or soapy water? I have to leave at times for 6 to 8 wks....but it sounds like it would help with the SHB and mites.
I was changing it at least every 30 days. It would be solid black with SHB and stink. The smell was why I was changing it. I did try filtering the oil on a weekly but that was a pain in the neck.
The mites never get out of the pan, even in when it is dry. They cannot climb on the metal sides.
the larvae can survive in the pan if you only have water. Be sure the soap is killing them. I don't like using water because you are adding water to the hive. Not good during the winter and not good while they are trying to dry the nectar.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2014, 01:30:43 pm »
I use hydrated lime in the pans after I get control of the beetles with the oil. It is not as good as oil if you have a serious problem but once the hive get strong and the beetles numbers are down the lime works fine and is not as messy.
You can also put the lime on the ground around the hive to help control the beetle population but you have to redo it after a rain but that would be easier then filtering the dirt.

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2014, 02:25:33 pm »
anyone use mineral oil? I would be concerned with cooking oil going rancid her in FL.

Offline HomeSteadDreamer

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2014, 02:32:00 pm »
That was I use.  Mineral Oil.  1/2 quart at dollar general $2.

Offline Carol

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2014, 01:18:14 pm »
Thanks HomesteadDreamer ....I just ordered 2...It will be interesting to see what I find...will let you know.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2014, 12:10:21 pm »
I use hydrated lime in the pans after I get control of the beetles with the oil. It is not as good as oil if you have a serious problem but once the hive get strong and the beetles numbers are down the lime works fine and is not as messy.
You can also put the lime on the ground around the hive to help control the beetle population but you have to redo it after a rain but that would be easier then filtering the dirt.

Doesn't the lime cause the metal pans to rust out real quick?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2014, 12:12:19 pm »
anyone use mineral oil? I would be concerned with cooking oil going rancid her in FL.

Carol,
It does but takes a while and so does the mineral oil. I have used both. I think the mineral oil is more expensive.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Carol

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2014, 12:19:15 pm »
Sawdstmakr...If I am going to be home I'll try the vegetable oil but will use mineral oil if I am going to be away for more than a month. FL heat could make the cooking oil rancid. Dont want that in the hive...rather spend the money.

Offline ChrisT

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2014, 01:38:23 pm »
I change my oil about every 3 weeks usually because it starts looking gross. The rancid thing isnt a worry to me becuase I change it so often. I use vegetable oil and only have oil in the pan from maybe june to september. thats when the SHB are crazy here for me.

Chris

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2014, 06:13:56 am »
I may have to use the oil again this year. I am seeing SHB in all of my hives. It may bee because the trees are filling in the area that I had trimmed away last spring. Too much shade.
I will be taking them to the farm soon. They will be in full sun then.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline marktrl

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2014, 06:44:32 pm »
I've been using cheap soybean oil in my trays for 3 years and its never gone rancid.

I tried using hydrated lime, it doesn't work, it cakes up in the trays and the bugs just walk over it. In fact I had wax moth larva eat the wax droppings and pupate because I didn't check it often enough. I switched back to oil.

Offline Carol

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2014, 10:58:12 am »
Marktrl...you are just a short way from me...how often do you change it?  looks like mine wont be here till mid April. Dont know what the hold up is. Ordered them a week ago. I need to go into one of my hives and wanted to get it all done at the same time...but it sounds like I need to do it right away.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2014, 12:41:51 pm »
I've been using cheap soybean oil in my trays for 3 years and its never gone rancid.

I tried using hydrated lime, it doesn't work, it cakes up in the trays and the bugs just walk over it. In fact I had wax moth larva eat the wax droppings and pupate because I didn't check it often enough. I switched back to oil.

Is soybean oil something you can buy in the grocery store?
Ben Franklin

Offline Wolfer

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2014, 07:35:52 pm »
Most if not all of your cheap vegetable oils will be soybean.

Offline marktrl

• House Bee
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2014, 11:15:12 pm »
I change the oil when the tray gets gunked up or once a month which ever comes first.

I buy my oil at the grocery store by the gallon.

Offline Carol

• House Bee
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2014, 02:36:37 pm »
I've seen ads for pollen traps...is there any problem with the screened bottom scraping pollen from the bees as they come in?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2014, 12:04:22 am »
Yes they lose a lot of pollen just as they come in the entrance. In some of my hives, when I clean out the trays, I find a fair bit if pollen right under entrance. The bees make up for it and bring in more. You might want to make sure the screen is not lifted in this area if you have the entrance reduced.

Jim
Ben Franklin