Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Rauchboy  (Read 4200 times)

Offline MollySuesHoney

• New Bee
    • Molly Sue's Honey
Rauchboy
« on: June 06, 2008, 11:26:47 pm »
Alright, I'm going to retire my 1950's Woodman.  She is a thing of beauty.  Well used.  Well loved and in perfect working order.  Yeah, it has some creosote and honey stains.  The finish has a great patina.  She is graceful when compared to smokers today.  She is a 10" x 3" Beauty with original bellows. But, she is ready for the shelf to be admired as a workhorse, friend and piece of art.

So, I ordered a Kelly 10".  I've been using it for a week and it is okay.  But, I miss the ol' girl.  I've been seeing the Rauchboys mentioned on the net and I am wondering are they worth it?  Is the workmanship like the old girl?  Is it one that my grandson could use?  Are any of you using them? 
Lawrence Underwood

Mobile, Alabama

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Rauchboy
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 12:28:48 pm »
The Rauchboy is stainless steel.  It has an improved design for draft, but  one that is easily duplicated by cutting a soup can for any other smoker:
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmisc.htm#smokerinsert

It will last as well as any stainless steel smoker, which is a lot longer than a galvanized one.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 08:30:17 pm »
The Rauchboy is stainless steel.  It has an improved design for draft, but  one that is easily duplicated by cutting a soup can for any other smoker:
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmisc.htm#smokerinsert

It will last as well as any stainless steel smoker, which is a lot longer than a galvanized one.

Michael, does that homemade can insert work better than the table-like things that come standard inside smokers?
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 09:03:26 am »
The only compliant I have about the Rauchboy is the lid is a pain to get closed and stay closed.  It has a very small lip (maybe 1/4") while most others have 1/2" or more.   Other than that it has been a good smoker.

I think I would by a good stainless steel smoker and do the soup can insert myself.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything