Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: where to buy 1 gal top feed pail  (Read 1973 times)

Offline BurleyBee

• House Bee
where to buy 1 gal top feed pail
« on: December 27, 2021, 12:14:31 pm »
For those of you that feed with pails, where are you buying these.  Looking for a cheap quality pail.
@burleybeeyard

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: where to buy 1 gal top feed pail
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2021, 12:21:34 pm »
For those of you that feed with pails, where are you buying these.  Looking for a cheap quality pail.

Burley, I can't answer the 1 gallon question, but I get the two gallon pails/buckets from the grocery store. Bakery dept. empty icing buckets. (FREE)   
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2021, 12:47:20 pm »
I got my buckets and lids from Uline.

https://www.uline.com/BL_8150/Plastic-Pails-and-Lids

The place I got my tint plugs is sold out but here are some others. Most of the big commercial places make you buy 1000 or something at a time, but you can get small quantities here.

https://www.naturesimagefarm.com/product/feeder-plugs/

I got a $8 hole cutter from harbor freight.

https://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/drill-driver-bits/hole-saws-sets/carbide-tip-adjustable-circle-cutter-68117.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BurleyBee

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2021, 12:49:52 pm »
I have the plugs and cutter.  Thanks for bakery idea, I?ll have to check that out.
@burleybeeyard

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2021, 02:30:59 pm »
I have the plugs and cutter.  Thanks for bakery idea, I?ll have to check that out.

Can't beat free!   :grin:  For another purpose these are a little small being they are 2 gallons, but they make fine honey storage containers also as they are food grade....   The nice girls at my local Kroger Bakery save them for me when the need arises.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 08:06:44 am »
That is where I get them also. They have several sizes, mostly 3 gallon bucket?s. Be sure to ask them to save the lids for you also.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2021, 09:16:00 am »
1. Depending on the grocery store bakery, the workers can be nice and generous or stingy and curt.
2. I also found that a two gallon bucket works great for crush and strain, when you want just a few frames done. I created a half inch tap from hardware store water pipe connectors, and use a wire colander on top. My wife is glad I am not messing up her kitchen bowls, too.

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2021, 06:09:50 pm »
If you are only looking to buy a few, try the paint department of your local builder supply company.  They will usually have sizes from 1 or 2 quarts up to 2 gallons in plastic.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2022, 01:26:34 am »
Did you find your buckets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2022, 01:42:44 am »
Did you find your buckets?

I wonder too... good follow up question 30...

Before I purchased my extractor (recommended to me by you 30WCF, 'and I really like it'), I used the 'big plastic cooking spoon' 'scrape it off method', and I used in conjunction plastic strainers from Dollar Tree, 'one dollar each'. These strainers fit nicely on top of the 2 gallon buckets from Kroger. I would scrape the wax and honey down to the foundation 'that the bees made' and strain through the set up just described. It worked great and surprisingly fast, Producing good clean honey as a result.

Phillip

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2022, 12:04:14 pm »
I had a family member that worked at PizzaHut, they have 1 gal glass pickle jars with a screw lid. I was able to get about 2 per week.
This was in texas not sure about other places.  They used the pickles for their salad bar. Other restaurants would have them as well.
They were great for feeders as you can see how much in them.
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2022, 12:15:50 pm »
I had a family member that worked at PizzaHut, they have 1 gal glass pickle jars with a screw lid. I was able to get about 2 per week.
This was in texas not sure about other places.  They used the pickles for their salad bar. Other restaurants would have them as well.
They were great for feeders as you can see how much in them.

You were very fortunate to come across this great find. Coca Cola use to receive their concentrated formula the same way. Tim Durham told me of this explaining how they make excellent feeders, lasting much longer before refills than quart jars. I contacted Coke but unfortunately they no longer receive the formula in the one gallon glass bottles.
Our only dine in pizza huts around here are closed down. They closed even before the virus. Take out and delivery only, but it should be the same thing with the jars at the delivery locations? Thank you for the excellent tip!!

Phillip

Offline BurleyBee

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2022, 07:08:58 pm »
I found some 3 gal at a donut shop.  They are kind of big so I may just use for honey.  Walmart and Kroger have them but I haven?t found anyone helpful enough to save them for me. 
@burleybeeyard

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2022, 09:58:45 pm »
I found some 3 gal at a donut shop.  They are kind of big so I may just use for honey.  Walmart and Kroger have them but I haven?t found anyone helpful enough to save them for me.

I got a few 2 gallon ones from Walmart for 1 dollar apiece, until I switched to Kroger.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2022, 02:15:25 pm »
I get mine from u-line.

Offline guitarstitch

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2022, 05:41:15 pm »
I just get 1 gallon paint cans and punch holes in the top.  Sure beats a quart jar a day for feeding!
-Matthew Pence/Stitch

Offline BurleyBee

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2022, 07:50:44 am »
I?ve done this in the past but heard on hot days those cans heat the syrup up and it all runs outs?

I?m not running into very helpful people when I ask. 
@burleybeeyard

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2022, 08:28:49 am »

You can buy brand new one gallon paint cans... There have never been used....  In any major paint stores in the USA such as Sherman Williams...

BEE HAPPY  Jim 134   :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline guitarstitch

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2022, 05:12:36 pm »
I?ve done this in the past but heard on hot days those cans heat the syrup up and it all runs outs?

I?m not running into very helpful people when I ask.

I imagine it could push out some of the syrup as expansion sets in, but the bees will suck it up just as fast as it comes out.  I use them here in Florida with no issues.
-Matthew Pence/Stitch

anything