Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from France  (Read 2189 times)

Offline mik

• New Bee
Hello from France
« on: September 17, 2013, 04:19:49 am »
Just finding my way around the forum and bee keeping in general
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
Nietzsche

Offline Huangwjgk

• Brood
Re: Hello from France
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 06:44:23 am »
Newbie report it. Enable Signature with it

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 08:19:42 am »
Mik, welcome to the forum.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 03:06:05 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Mik.  When you have any questions, just post them, someone will get you an answer.

Joe

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 03:31:35 pm »
Welcome
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline mik

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 03:44:42 am »
Thanks for the welcome. I bought my first two hives in May and managed to capture two swarms some weeks later. Since my first post yesterday I have just harvested my first super. I am learning everything from a book but it got very messy with a book in one hand and and goo everywhere else!

My neighbours tell me I am too late to recover honey. It seems to be working ok. Could they mean it is a problem with the temperature being lower. It is about 19 deg C at moment or are there other issues?
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
Nietzsche

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 12:51:22 pm »
Mik, welcome to the forum.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 12:54:43 pm »
Thanks for the welcome. I bought my first two hives in May and managed to capture two swarms some weeks later. Since my first post yesterday I have just harvested my first super. I am learning everything from a book but it got very messy with a book in one hand and and goo everywhere else!

My neighbours tell me I am too late to recover honey. It seems to be working OK. Could they mean it is a problem with the temperature being lower. It is about 19 deg C at moment or are there other issues?
+
Michael Bush says that he waits until the bees move down before he pulls his honey. So sounds like you picked the right time. Did you leave enough for them for the winter? The amount depends on how long and cold it gets in your area.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline mik

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 08:00:55 am »
Yes the main hives are full and very heavy. I was not expecting to get honey in the first year but have managed to fill one super on each hive.

My question was more to do with the temperature needed to extract the honey. Does it become more viscous as it gets colder and therefore more difficult to extract?
Nietzsche

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 10:06:52 am »
>My question was more to do with the temperature needed to extract the honey. Does it become more viscous as it gets colder and therefore more difficult to extract?

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesterms.htm#t

"Thixotropic = A quality of a liquid where its viscosity gets thinner when shaken, stirred or agitated and thicker when left undisturbed so that it becomes a gel. In the case of honey some honey sources have this quality such as heather and manuka and these often require special ways of extracting."
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin