Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: As requested by buzzbee......  (Read 8594 times)

Offline Countryboy

• House Bee
Re: As requested by buzzbee......
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 10:34:14 pm »
I think it is great that beekeepers are trying to get public awareness of beekeeping.  'How' it is done will determine if bees get good publicity, or if bees get bad publicity.

No others concerns at this point.

Is there any effort to identify problems, or is the plan to address problems as they come up?

People don't plan to fail - they fail to plan.

There is a right way to do things, and a wrong way.  There is a time and a place for everything.  While I have a love for bees, I don't think it is a wise idea to mix private industry with public property, especially involving stinging insects in today's litigious society.

Do schoolkids ever go on field trips there?  Do you really want little allergic Johnny (whose daddy is a fruitloop lawyer) to get stung?

I promote beekeeping by encouraging others to become beekeepers, and mentoring them.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 11:36:40 pm »
Countryboy,
do you have the same concerns at nature preserves or should we only show pictures and not actual wildlife.
The apiary is at the private residence of the governor. In PA a kid at an amusement park serving soda or other sweets is probably more likely to get stung by a yellow jacket.
 I am sure evry interested party knows the risks involved. Especially the governors office.I am sure they did not allow this totally absent minded.

Maybe this will soothe the itch:

Special Note: The PBBA has obtained permission from Pennsylvania Governor Corbett and the first lady, to install and maintain an apiary at the Governor's mansion in Harrisburg, Pa.

We are very grateful for the opportunity to allow the many school groups, educational programs, dignitaries, and special guests to the Governor's mansion the chance to learn and benefit from maintaining hives on the property. The hives will not be open to the public. But the benefit and support extended by Governor Corbett and the first lady will be far reaching and greatly appreciated.

http://www.pennapic.org/learningcenters.html

Offline Ollie

• House Bee
    • www.olliesrockwall.com
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 11:49:54 pm »
That's a very cool project and I think that the observation hives for the development centers are a really cool thing too.
Projects like this are making a positive difference in the community.  X:X

Life is good...Make it gooder!

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2011, 07:57:52 pm »
I think its great that beekeepers are taking the time to get people more interested in bees.

When I was 5-7 years old my older sister some times spent her pocket money on honey comb in a wooden frame that she had bought from a local market , if I was kind a sometimes got to taste a little  :-D

I took another 30 years when I was at a local spring garden fair when i got to talking to a beekeeper that was selling honey , lipbaum , candles and hand creams ,He was also promoting the local beekeeping club.

The idea that even I could beecome a beekeeper had never crossed my mind , even though I have had a life long love of honey .

6 years later I am the president of our local beekeeping association (me and my open  :-D mouth)  :-D

I'm having a lot of fun + and trying to promote beekeeping , helping the new bees , participating in the start up of a queen breeding club , marketing my own honey , hives , still a lot to learn  ;)

My sister , she gets all the honey comb she wants . Its a great satisfaction beeing able to produce my own honey.  :-D

:bee: MORE BEES  :bee: MORE BEEKEEPERS  :bee:

mvh edward  :-P

Offline Countryboy

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2011, 11:08:31 pm »
do you have the same concerns at nature preserves or should we only show pictures and not actual wildlife.

You're comparing apples to oranges.
Bees are non-native animals being managed as private industry.  I am not aware of native animals being managed as private industry on public grounds.

I don't have a problem with the BLM leasing land for agriculture, but I do have a problem with people using government land for agriculture at the expense of anyone else.

The apiary is at the private residence of the governor.

It is my understanding that the governor's mansion is public property, even if the governor has private quarters there.  Is this private property or public property?

In PA a kid at an amusement park serving soda or other sweets is probably more likely to get stung by a yellow jacket.

Once again, you are comparing apples to oranges - or are you suggesting that people are intentionally introducing colonies of yellow jackets, as is being done with honeybees?
(Are amusement parks in PA public or privately owned?)

I am sure evry interested party knows the risks involved. Especially the governors office.I am sure they did not allow this totally absent minded.

Given government officials penchant for near absentmindedness, and the political agenda of special interest groups, I have no faith in either party thinking this through before this was implemented.

Special Note: The PBBA has obtained permission from Pennsylvania Governor Corbett and the first lady, to install and maintain an apiary at the Governor's mansion in Harrisburg, Pa.

Getting permission to do something inappropriate doesn't make it the right thing to do.  (Keep in mind that governors give pardons to criminals also - but it doesn't make it the right thing to do, to allow criminals not to have to pay the penalty of their crime.)

the chance to learn and benefit from maintaining hives on the property. The hives will not be open to the public.

So, what is being taught and where is the benefit if folks don't have access to the hives?  Huh?  Might as well just use pictures, and avoid the liability and moral hazard.

I do not believe it is a good thing to mix private industry with government.  I believe the right way to promote bees is by voluntary beekeepers leading by example, without using government involvement.  I do not believe people should be forced to help pay to promote beekeeping, which is what happens when taxpayer dollars are spent by government to promote honeybees in any manner.

Edward, it sounds like you are trying to do things the right way.  You are investing your own money and your own time, and not relying on government to help you share honeybee awareness.

Offline Beaver Dam

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2011, 01:14:53 am »
I proably could not pass the "EPA" , methane gas releasement by honey bees  act. Proper paint used on outside of hive body act. Contents of the sticky gooey green stuff that fills cracks and  bonds so well act. Nope not me. Thanks for asking though.

About the only requirement we had to consider, is some "green" policy which does not allow pressure treated wood to be used, like on a hive stand. We plan on keeping the wood natural and using a "Danish oil" type coating. No others concerns at this point.

There you go, I'm 60 years old, which color green is it? Me, one, green, my wife, HUMMMMM?

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2011, 08:01:43 am »
I do not believe it is a good thing to mix private industry with government.  I believe the right way to promote bees is by voluntary beekeepers leading by example, without using government involvement.  I do not believe people should be forced to help pay to promote beekeeping, which is what happens when taxpayer dollars are spent by government to promote honeybees in any manner.

Edward, it sounds like you are trying to do things the right way.  You are investing your own money and your own time, and not relying on government to help you share honeybee awareness.

No I don't rely on the government .

That being said , I don't dismiss there help either.

Localy our beekeeping club has a healthy relationship with local government. We and they have come to a mutual agreement that bees are good for society , farming , home gardening , and generally raising the standard of living locally.
Better harvests in home gardens= more income to spend on other things , a better quality of life.
This is a service that the bees provide , the only payment received i honey.

The local government lets us use suitable land for bee yards with out cost.

Also they have given us a place to hive our observation hive in a place where a lot of (hopefully) new beekeepers and general public have access to. No cost or rent. We are also looking for a place to have our club extractor , we don't have the economy to rent a space , mabee they can help , if there is some space/room that is not in use.
Also both of our learning bee yards are on government land , for free.  :-D
Space on there web page.

We are also applying for grants from the European Union to get are queen breeding club going. (fingers crossed)

There is allot of give and take.

Beekeepers provide an important service to the local community that makes and sustains local growth and wealth.

Who is the government ?

WE ARE THE PEOPLE

It represents and hopefully benefits the people.

If not , start a new party and change things , stop moaning from the side lines.  :shock:

Even beekeepers pay taxes , (hopefully)  :-D

Balance in nature , beekeeping , government and taxation .

PEACE OUT

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2011, 08:30:54 am »
There it is edward :)  Whenever folks start slamming 'the government' they need to be reminded that they are talking about themselves, especially if all they ever do is gripe.  Griping changes little when compared to taking action.

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2011, 08:59:26 am »
ollie, buzz, edward, and to all others with kind and supportive words. I say thank you. I am glad if this gives others some ideas they can also implement.

The old saying about someone having a problem with everything, no matter the subject or discussion, is once again supported.  

Because of this, I use the 90/10 rule. 90% will see an apple. The other 10% will not, they will see an orange, even when an apple is on the table. And no matter the details, even if you go out of your way, the 10% will always be the 10%. This discussion is a perfect example of this. IMO there is no rational logic and any explanation will be twisted or not good enough. There will always be with something to complain about. Always something to find fault. I find it better to ignore the 10% and focus on the 90%. Otherwise it is like beating your head against the wall taking 90% of your time, to make the 10% happy.....which will never happen. And I would rather try to make the 90% happy, with 100% of my time..... :-D

As example.....the part of the hive not being open to the public, and using that by countryboy to denigrate the effort, by claiming "who will benefit" if nobody will see the hive, is a perfect example.

The hives will be seen by thousands of folks. School groups, dignitaries, special groups that visit the governors mansion, etc. But unlike the other listed "open apiary" hives we maintain, the public can not at their convenience, walk in off the street, and visit anytime they like. The Governors mansion is gated and by appointment access only. We do not want people to think they can walk up to the governors private residence and think they can stroll through the place anytime they want to see the bees. The grounds are open to thousands of folks and groups, but are by appointment or special invitation.

Instead of asking for clarification, a pessimistic person who does not want to help, or is not the type of person who would never ask cause it would interfere with their complaints, will read statements and details in the manner they want it to read.

If anyone has any questions, please PM me. If you want to continue this, just please don't bang your head too hard.  :-D   I'm convinced that this has turned into a waste of time. I'm on to the next project...details to follow...   ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2011, 09:08:37 am »
90% will see an apple. The other 10% will not, they will see an orange, even when an apple is on the table.

Apple ? Orange ?

:piano:  I WANT A BANANA !  :piano:  :-D

Maybee when the governor has guests over that are " in power " , they also will think about beekeeping  ;)

change starts all over.

Online Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2011, 01:04:25 pm »
I am not aware of native animals being managed as private industry on public grounds.

http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/prog/grazing.html

You are kidding aren’t you?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Countryboy

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2011, 11:59:34 pm »
If you actually took the time to read my very next sentence, you will see that I addressed the BLM leasing grazing rights - which your link is about.

Online Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2011, 12:13:21 pm »
I don't have a problem with the BLM leasing land for agriculture, but I do have a problem with people using government land for agriculture at the expense of anyone else.

Please explain the diffference. :?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline CVBees

• House Bee
  • secondchanceapiary@gmail
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2011, 04:54:52 pm »
THat sounds cool Mike.  With me being so close to Harrisburg I would love to volunteer some time to assist in keeping up with these hives.  As long as I have not developed as Sean put it a death touch to insects.  (see previous post) sniff sniff.  I hope it all works out for these Government Bees hehe
Bees are the key to life as we know it.