Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Any chance of getting someone's surplus bees in Wisconsin?  (Read 2811 times)

Offline Markalbob

• New Bee
Any chance of getting someone's surplus bees in Wisconsin?
« on: February 08, 2007, 11:01:18 am »
Hi all,

I'm looking to start a hive this spring (or 2-3).  I'm looking to do this on the cheap, as my wife is humoring me on the whole idea of keeping a million stinging insects for "fun", but barely--the cheaper I can do this, the easier my life will be.

I am getting some old hives from Freecycle, a widow who's husband used to keep bees.  With luck, I'll also locate a few other things, like a suit, and a smoker.  For bees I'm planning on catching a swarm or setting bait hives, if need be, but in a perfect world, I'd be able to just "get" bees--if anyone in The Madison or Stevens Point area has some extra bees they are willing to part with, and they'd like to help me out, I'd be quite grateful.  Also, while cash is an issue, I do brew at home; I can't pay anything, but perhaps I could at least offer a case of beer (I do Belgians, stouts, cream ales, and anything else, except lagers) and a couple bottles of wine, or similar........

*fingers crossed

Thanks,
Mark

P.S.  Administrators,  Apologies if you think this belongs in another forum, feel free to move it.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
Re: Any chance of getting someone's surplus bees in Wisconsin?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 07:15:05 pm »
Good luck budddy
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Markalbob

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 11:39:28 am »
lol....not much response.  I'm guessing I'll be catching swarms or setting bait hives, then.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 11:50:21 am »
see if there are any beekeeping clubs or organizations in your area.  you may be able to work for a beekeeper and get a few bees in return.  if you have berry farms or orchards around, contact them.  they may need someone to come get swarms if the pollinator doesn't want them.  those swarms are easy to collect. 

most of us don't have "extra" bees because of the mites and other things that kill them off. 

if you are getting most of your equipment free, the package bees are the least of your cost.  if you are going to order, do it now.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline DBoire

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 06:57:54 pm »
Have you looked into Top Bar Hives?  If your not looking to make money, only honey and comb this would be a good direction to explore.  check out MB's site at http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopbarhives.htm

D.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 08:17:35 pm »
Hey Try

catching some swarms set some swarm traps thats what I do I like feral bees
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Markalbob

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 01:08:48 pm »
A very generous woman who's husband kept bees and has passed is offering me a couple langs, but I also have some surplus 1X12s, and top-bars appeal to me.  I plan on taking advantage of the chance to work both side-by-side in learning for a couple seasons, then we'll decide which I prefer. 

As far as trapping, I'm thinking very seriously about it--the only issue is how many ferals I might (or might not) find if that's "all" I have to rely on, and the question of how "hot" they may be.  I'd ideally like some tame bees for comaprison, although if nothing else I'll get some ferals and re-queen a hive or 2 next season to check out domestic bees.....

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 02:53:28 pm »
there is no such thing as a "tame" bee :-)

if you are not in an AHB area, i wouldn't think you'd have any more to worry about from a swarm you caught, than from a package.  either can end up nasty. (or nice)

post your area.  you may find others to work with.  i have already hooked up with someone on this board so that i can pass on swarms that are to much or to far from me.

networking...... ;)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Markalbob

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 05:09:27 pm »
agreed on the "tame" bee, but there is more selectionfor gentle bees in a commercial breeder (at least a good one) who indicates it than there is in old oaks and abandoned buildings. 

In a perfect world I'd get a couple feral hives and at least 1 non-feral, so I could compare them.  Time will tell, maybe I'll get nothing this way, and I'll be doing it via swarm-trapping and bait hives anyway. 

By hook or by crook, I WILL have bees......    :-D

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 06:03:12 pm »
Keep going you will get some bees.I wanted some bees back in th 70's I went to Sears to get a rototiller and when I came out there was a swarm on the mirror of a camper truck you'll get
some
kirk-o