Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Roen and Indian Runner mammas and babies  (Read 2903 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Roen and Indian Runner mammas and babies
« on: July 30, 2007, 12:12:21 pm »
We have three species of ducks at my home.  Indian Runner, Muscovey and Roen.  There have been quite a few ducks raised, surely.

The picture below is an Indian Runner mamma and a Roen mamma.  They both share the raising of their babies, never far apart from each other.  They sure are protective of their little ones, and make a very strange quacking noise with their mouths very wide open when you come near.

We have 4 other Muscovey hens sitting on eggs now too.  They should be hatching any day now.  It is fun to watch the habits of mothers and their babies.  Have a wonderful day, great life.  Cindi

Two Muscovey's sitting in a tiny little house, hatching their young, very tightly squeezed in, but that is how they seem to like it:

The two mammas sharing their babies:

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
Re: Roen and Indian Runner mammas and babies
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 01:06:07 pm »
great pics cindi

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 07:37:13 pm »
I've got 4 muscovies. They were just born on Mother's Day.

When I picked them up from my neighbor, I put them in the pasture with my goats and geese that has a strech of canal that runs through it to swim in. Thought they would like it there.

The next morning I woke up and couldn't find them anywhere. I went to feed the chickens and found they had gone under the fence, walked over to the chicken yard (30 x 80--much smaller than the pasture), climbed under their fence, and bunked with them. They have been there ever since. I guess they were raised their first few weeks with chickens and that is what they feel comfortable with.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 10:25:03 am »
thomashton.  Now isn't that cute.  The ducks certainly are a goofy breed.  We have a male Indian Runner whose mate is mothering the babies, he hangs out with the other female Roen duck who did not go broody.  This is the only duck that he hangs out with, doesn't like the Muscoveys, too bad, they are a much nicer and friendlier duck.  My neice now and then takes a brand new hatched baby just as it is coming out of the egg and mothers it in her bedroom.  The duck actually must think she is the mother because this little duck follows her around everywhere, until it gets old enough to be reunited with the rest of its clan.  So cute.  Have a wonderful day, beautiful, happy life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything