Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: canning  (Read 6318 times)

Offline doak

• Super Bee
canning
« on: August 10, 2007, 11:15:18 pm »
Canned 4 more qts of tomatoes today. that makes 8. We have ate and gave away that many or more from 12 plants and 6 of those didn't do good. If you want tomatoes, plant "homestead", and you will have tomatoes. ;)
doak
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 11:48:37 pm by pdmattox »

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: canning
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 02:31:38 am »
Doak.  Good for you.  When I see an edit, like Dallas did, I get so intrigued, wondering what was written that was changed  :-P

Oh well, beautiful, you are putting down your beautiful tomatoes.  I have a great greenhouse that my husband built for me.  It is my tomato greenhouse, and peppers and other things like basil too.  Well, the peppers (sweet bell, habanero and jalopeno) got so big that they fell over.  I think that the poorer circulation brought a late season blight to one row of my tomatoes.  I removed that row, every single bit.  It appears that the rest of the tomato greenhouse, (so far) as no blight.  I am keeping a very close watch on things.  The tomatoes are ripening left, right and centre, and I must pick soon.  The eggplants are going great guns, many fruits forming and I am pretty excited.

We are avid tomato eaters too.  The Italian parley and many onions that we are growing are gonna make some pretty nice salsas.  I love the canned tomatoes, I always put tablespoon of salt, sugar and lemon juice in each quart, and this is what I relish come the wintertime as a snack.  My mouth waters.  Yeah.  Doak, keep on keepin' on.  Have a wonderful day and the best of life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 12:37:48 pm »
we didn't have to put up tomato's this year, canned 80 quarts last year, we put up tomato's every 2 years, last year I had 114 tomato plants, this year only about 25, next year over 100 again.... we use canned tomato for cooking, never use store bought tomato's....
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 01:47:13 pm »
Ted, that a whole lot of tomatoes!!!!  I haven't purchased store bought canned tomatoes in years.  I remember one time I had to and eeks!!!  The price made my mouth drop.  Have this wonderful day and love it.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline MarkR

• House Bee
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 03:23:34 pm »
I'm to the point now, when I'm really looking forward to putting the @#$@! canner back in the closet for the winter.  5 gal. pickles, 3 gal. dilly beans, 5 gal. salsa verde,  8 gal. tomatoes.  This year I'm freezing or drying everything else.  A related question:  how many pounds of tomatoes does it take to make a gallon bag full of dried tomatoes.  Answer:  don't know, I lost track after 20, but it's a whole lot more.

Mark

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 03:48:33 pm »
i dry stuff.  i HATE canning.  i dry tomatoes and peppers, and some herbs.  they seal and store well, and the dried tomatoes will keep forever if you seal and freeze them.  they take up less room that way too if you have freezer space.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 04:13:21 pm »
Doak.  Good for you.  When I see an edit, like Dallas did, I get so intrigued, wondering what was written that was changed  :-P

Nothing exciting,  just a mis-spelled word in the title.... ;)
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 04:29:49 pm »

Nothing exciting,  just a mis-spelled word in the title.... ;)
Ah, so we weren't talking about caning?  I can think of a few politicians who need a good caning, but, I won't sidetrack the thread with it.  :evil:

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 01:53:16 am »
Hee, haw, lawdee dah.  Oh brother.  Have a wonderful day, a beautiful life to boot.  Cindi

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 05:29:02 pm »
Ever tried any dried okra?

Don't worry, I mis-spale all the time :roll:
doak

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 11:52:30 am »
Wow, all you guys canning so much stuff and dehyrating too.  I do both, but freezing is my choice for food preservation, but canned tomoatoes hit the top of the list.

Doak, I think that dried okra would be fantastic.  I have tried to grow okra here a couple of times, but I don't think it is hot enough.  Never had successs.

My sister made some vegie salt last year, she spent the good part of end of summer dehydrating eveything under the sun.  I think she wound up with 13 ingredients in her vegie salt, let me see if I can remember them all.

spinach leaves
collard greens
broccoli leaves
garlic leaves
garlic flowers
onions
celery leaves
swiss chard
tomatoes
beet leaves the first year (but not the second year, didn't like how the beet flecks made things pink)
garlic chives
chives
summer savory
And of course sea salt for added flavour

It is the best thing that I have ever tasted and I put it on everything and packed with vitamins and nutrients!!!!!  What  job it was when she had to powder everything, but man did the room smell yummy.  Have a wonderful day, enjoy our harvests of our gardens and the work that we all do to make our lives a little healthier and happier.  There is nothing more wonderful than having these wintertime gems to put on our dinner tables.  Yeah!!!!!  Keep on lovin' our lives.  Cindi (great health wishes to all)

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 01:29:18 pm »
All of this talk of food made me go and check out the beemaster cookbook forum to pick something out to cook.  :evil:

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 07:20:31 pm »
just one question, how do you dry tomatoes?
sun dryed? veggie dryer of some kind??!? where?

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2007, 08:43:26 pm »
if you live in an arid climate you can sun dry them. i use a food dryer.

Offline MarkR

• House Bee
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2007, 08:48:46 pm »
I tried using a solar dehydrator, but it's so bloody humid here, it wasn't working.  I broke down and bought an electric one this spring.

Mark

Offline MarkR

• House Bee
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2007, 08:49:49 pm »
I thought I was getting near done with the canner, but I picked 15 more lbs. of tomatilloes this afternoon. Anybody want some green sauce?
 :-P
Mark

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2007, 11:18:45 pm »
I like the electric one for making Jerky from deer meat.
Yum,Yum.
doak

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2007, 01:50:24 am »
Oh Mark.  If there is one vegie on earth that I can't stand is the tomatillo.  I have tried it every way human can think.  Just something that I can't stand (and I am a veggie lover).  I love salsas, and I can't even begin to put it in the sauce, oh brother.  My sister loves tomatillos and cilantro too.  I am acquiring a taste for cilantro, I actually now crave cilantro taste, but, maybe one day, the tomatillo will be in my palate.

The tomatillos self-seed like nothing on this earth at my place, I planted them a couple of years ago, and I can't get rid of them  :-D  I keep trying.  I thought that the bees would enjoy the flowers, nope.  Not here.  They are in love with the brocooli plant flowers that I work hard to keep pruned, to keep the flowers coming.  Very very good for the bees.  The broccoli bolted very quickly this year, so fast that we did not even gather narry a crown, so I thought I would work with it and let it go for the bees.  And so it has.  The broccoli flowers are covered all day with honeybees, so I know for surely that it is a good plant to plant a small field of for next year, for the bees only.  If us humans can get some little florets, more the better.  I will have a patch for the  bees and one that I cultivate for the human side  :)

Tomatoes.  That is how we dry these good.  And yes, we have an electric dehydator, holds many trays of food.  My sister made an enormous home made one, which is a beauty in itself, and I purchased a smaller model last year from a local hardware store, both are immensely wonderful to dry the foods.  Yeah!!!  Gotta love this live we're livin'.  Cindi

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2007, 02:52:28 pm »
http://www.sun-dried-tomatoes.com/information.html

20 pounds of fresh tomatoes = 1 pound of dried tomatoes.

Offline MarkR

• House Bee
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2007, 10:45:51 am »
Well, that would explain a lot.

:lol:

Mark