Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Need honest opinions on new label  (Read 13347 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Need honest opinions on new label
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 07:24:22 pm »
i like the one with the red border also.  i would remove the word "pure".  what does that mean?  it really probably isn't if it's raw and unfiltered.  it has bee bits and pollen in it.  not that i'd put that on the label :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline jason58104

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 07:28:22 pm »
I like all three.  You may concider taking the picture of the bees off the label.  Some people are blissfully unaware that insects make honey.

Offline BenC

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2008, 07:46:49 pm »
I like the last one, but would lose the word "pure".  "Local, Raw, All Natural" covers it well enough, more than that it seems wordy.  I wouldn't bother with "primary source"  If you know how the different varietals taste and it fits, label it as such.  Not Locust Blossom, just Locust.  If it's unidentifiable or a hodgepodge call it wildflower.  I'd find another image to place between those bees: flower, comb, skep and beekeeper,  a smiling Greg (ok maybe not a good idea), whatever.  Or put the varietal name there but in a yellow circle.  Just something with color.  Those bees are pointing the buyers attention right between them, take advantage of that focal point with something more vibrant than a dull "primary source locust blossom".  Remember, red and yellow are probably the best colors for food labels.

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2008, 09:00:06 pm »
My wife got home from work and put this one together. I think the darker boarder makes it look it is higher quality, like black label stuff. I have mixed thoughts on the "raw and pure" wording. When I see raw I think that I have to do something to it before I can eat it. I know this is not true with honey but are there some people out there who might think they have to cook it or something? The pure part I feel means nothing added. It technically is not pure so I dont know. Seems like all labels say pure honey on them.

"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2008, 10:45:44 pm »
My wife got home from work and put this one together. I think the darker boarder makes it look it is higher quality, like black label stuff. I have mixed thoughts on the "raw and pure" wording. When I see raw I think that I have to do something to it before I can eat it. I know this is not true with honey but are there some people out there who might think they have to cook it or something? The pure part I feel means nothing added. It technically is not pure so I dont know. Seems like all labels say pure honey on them.

I think this label is the best. It is pure honey, you didn't dilute it with anything. It also looks the most professional.

Professional looking is the way to go. If your labels look like they were designed and printed by an amateur, you might have trouble getting the premium price you deserve for your premium product.

I went with pre-printed labels customized with my personal information, added nutrition labels, botulism warning labels, and a seal sticker, and received constant comments about how professional it looked. I also bought some 8 oz hex jars, added a hang tag with recipes, and sold them as "gift jars" for $4.50 each. They were my biggest seller, and my most profitable, by far. It's all in the appearance of quality.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2008, 11:37:37 pm »

Looks good.  I like the blue over the red.  I would make 2 changes:  1. Raw Honey as the main name and  2. natural and unrefined as your descriptor.

Also if using a back label for nutrisional information you might consider including, "...lightly filtered, may contain pollen and small bee parts.  Harvested at the end of primary souce blooming period in areas of high crop density."  For real organic food fans that means alot.  The Unrefined denotes lack of commercial processing like pasturization or excessive filtering. The note on when harvested qualifies the type of honey and will gives the reason for the primary source notation if ever called on it.  It's a legal thing but....

Make another label that lays the other way, horizontal instead of vertical for short stubby jars.

The Primary Source idea is good and can be used for many types of crops, especially if pollination was involved.  Here in Washington State some  Washington beekeepers denote Apple, Alfalfa, clover, blackberry, Fireweed. etc. in the nectar source was extremely high from those sources.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2008, 11:51:10 pm »

Looks good.  I like the blue over the red.  I would make 2 changes:  1. Raw Honey as the main name and  2. natural and unrefined as your descriptor.

Also if using a back label for nutrisional information you might consider including, "...lightly filtered, may contain pollen and small bee parts.  Harvested at the end of primary souce blooming period in areas of high crop density."  For real organic food fans that means alot.  The Unrefined denotes lack of commercial processing like pasturization or excessive filtering. The note on when harvested qualifies the type of honey and will gives the reason for the primary source notation if ever called on it.  It's a legal thing but....

Make another label that lays the other way, horizontal instead of vertical for short stubby jars.

The Primary Source idea is good and can be used for many types of crops, especially if pollination was involved.  Here in Washington State some  Washington beekeepers denote Apple, Alfalfa, clover, blackberry, Fireweed. etc. in the nectar source was extremely high from those sources.

This one is shaping up quite nicely!!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2008, 12:03:08 am »
Like this last one a lot!!!!!

Offline utahbeekeeper

• House Bee
    • Millcreek Valley Farm
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2008, 01:25:48 am »
Anyway, that label of yours went through quite a metamorphosis and looked great!  Wishing you much success
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 10:12:00 am by utahbeekeeper »
Pleasant words are like an honeycomb, sweet to the soul and health to the bones.  Prov 16:24

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2008, 03:00:59 am »
Like the last one.

Offline golddust-twins

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2008, 03:43:09 am »
At first I was going to say the red--it really catches your eye.  I like the last one better with the blue boarder and gold honeycomb---very elegant.

Corinne

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2008, 05:24:48 am »
Ok, just now reading this whole thread... I am one of those people that had no idea what locust was.  I have to say, the first few labels really disgusted me, with the locust and the unfiltered (I do like my honey to be bee parts free).  Glad you kept going, the last one is definately a winner.

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2008, 08:33:34 am »
Greg -- nice work. I like the last one, too.

Utahbeekeeper -- I would not buy your honey because of the label. Pediatrician is misspelled and the recommendation from doctors and the CDC is to not feed honey to children under 12 months. -- Mom
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.

Offline utahbeekeeper

• House Bee
    • Millcreek Valley Farm
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2008, 10:08:25 am »
Eri   thanks for the heads up on spelling.  I can still fix that.  I do appreciate it.  The label stock is due today.  The 15 months is my choice for extra padding on the recommendation
Pleasant words are like an honeycomb, sweet to the soul and health to the bones.  Prov 16:24

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2008, 12:58:25 pm »
That new one you just posted there is perfect!

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2008, 03:00:35 pm »
Thanks everyone. I will be printing some up tomorrow and will put some photos up of the honey with the labels on them.

Thanks again Beemaster forum members are great :)
Semper Fi

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2008, 07:07:07 pm »
 I thought the second one was good but your new one looks really good!
 Heres my label, but it was store bought...you can probably find this label eveywhere!( But not the honey!) :)

your friend,
john

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2008, 09:42:40 pm »
I went tonight to print some labels up but found that it is being a big pain to get them to print with the border right on the edge of the label. The program I am using, TechnoRiver, is being a pain about getting things lined up. I am going to mess around with it more but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for other label programs that I could try.
Semper Fi

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2008, 09:47:38 pm »
Greg, make the border bigger so it extends across the edge of the label... tends to work a lot better that way.

PS - I'm curious, how big an operation are you guys running (how many hives?)

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2008, 09:58:03 pm »
 Greg,
Thats why i ended up buying my labels....It was a lot of trouble for me to try and get things right to print labels..I couldnt get anything right :-x

your friend,
john