Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Need honest opinions on new label  (Read 13347 times)

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
Need honest opinions on new label
« on: July 09, 2008, 08:45:33 am »
Myself and my wife are trying to design a new label for our honey. Take a look at them please and give an honest opinion of what you think. Is one good enough or should we go back to the drawing board or do you have suggestions on how to improve one of them?

"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
Re: Need honest opinions on new label
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 09:11:58 am »
My Opinion which don't mean much;

You state Locust is that the only source ?

Now the word "PURE" why is this word necessary ? Do you sell "Unpure" or a mixture of some sort also ? Yeah I know "Pure" is on everything !

You are showing " Local, Unfilterd, and Natural " I think that say's it all !

I like the second one best.

Don't pay any attention to this !

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 09:24:16 am »
the image is not loading for me.

ah...now it is. I think you need to put the weight in metric as well as what you have. i also think you need to include contact info including your phone number.
i think the color in the first one is too faded looking.
either of the other 2 look good.

Offline jimmyo

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 09:51:03 am »
I like the bottom one
 the bees look a little fuzzy on my screen it could be me.  Make sure your image is as sharp as your text.
I think the weight must be printed in metric and standard. There are label printing rules somewhere. I don't label mine so I don't know much.
Jim

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 09:59:00 am »
National Honey Board label requirements here:

http://www.honey.com/honeyindustry/resources/labeling_article.asp

I like the second: clear type, uncluttered.

Questions:

How do you know the honey is primarily locust?

Is it really unfiltered? Would 'raw' be a better descriptor?

Bees look a bit out of focus on the computer screen.

Tried to 'map' Nth 6th St - no luck until I changed it to N 6th St

Good job!
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 10:49:46 am »
Myself and my wife are trying to design a new label for our honey. Take a look at them please and give an honest opinion of what you think. Is one good enough or should we go back to the drawing board or do you have suggestions on how to improve one of them?

Greg, I think you have more work to do on these but I would draw off of the third one, I like the script, your honey has to be filtered in some way really or are you doing just crush and strain straight into a container, sans any kind of filter of any type?

I would suggest on your label including words like "raw" but would stay away from words where you can't prove or disprove your message. As others stated its very difficult to control exactly where your bees will forage unless they're on some huge nectar source and that's the only nectar around for miles and miles.

I use the words raw and multi-floral on my labels with my phone number and what state my honey was produced.

Thanks for posting, I look forward to seeing what else y'all come up with.

Good luck!!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 10:57:58 am »
maybe the word Locust you might elaborate on that. I am sure you will be bombarded with questions of " did Locust make this honey" or some other crazy thing most people may not know locust trees produce honey, or bees from locust trees rather produce honey. Anyway just a thought Good Luck

Keith

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 11:01:14 am »
Greg, I like the 2nd best, uncluttered & direct.  I would put your website & business phone & town instead of your whole address. Being a scardy cat & so many weird people I don't want my address broadcasted for all to see, you just don't know bout people.all it takes is 1. Your website can have any additional information, as to which types, & you can stick a sticker that says what the primary flow is. Also would use pure,raw, natural instead of unfiltered, don't you have to filter @ least 1x to get the bee parts out???  That's just me though!  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 11:02:48 am »
You will find your labels will change with time. Take the above suggestions, print thsi years out and next year you will make additional changes. I am on 3rd generation this year. You'll learn as people ask questions.
 When locust is in bloom near me, blackberrries, late apples are also in bloom. Tough competition. I tell customers something like JP-Its mutifloral, "comprised of locust, fruit treees and other native floral sources."
I also refer to my honey as "lightly filtered" . I explain I send it through a spaghetti strainer only. Leaving all those pollen particles and micronutrients behind. "What mother nature gives, you receive and nothing else."
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 11:19:17 am »
i don't specify on my honey...if people ask its wildflower honey.

Offline wvbee

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 11:23:03 am »
In reference to labeling rules, most of them only apply if the produce is being commercially sold: weights, warnings and UPC data, etc.  If you are selling this on your own, then you should only need the basic information on the lable.

I would put just the weight in ounces, just because people like to see what they are getting.  As far as the word "unfiltered", you could always say "strained".  I do like the working "local" and "natural".

Offline DrKurtG

• House Bee
    • My Bee Journal
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 01:03:55 pm »
I received this from the Virginia Department of Agriculture about a week ago after I made inquiry concerning this very subject...

"There are no regulations on the sale of your honey other than the label on the jar.  Your label should have your apiary name with no claims as to the type of honey and should contain the ounces or quantity of honey in the container.  Your address or phone number would be helpful for customers to contact you for resupply but is not required."

Notice the use of the word "should."  Again, this pertains to the state of VA. 

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 01:32:24 pm »
I like the third one. If I ever get any honey I was going to put "Raw" on the label that way people know it has not been heated and nothing added.

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 04:10:29 pm »
I like the third one, but agree with eri's post that you ought to follow the guidelines of the National Honey Board. 

In Georgia they say that you can't claim "Locust" or any other type of honey on the label unless you have gotten a palynologist to evaluate your honey and tell you that it is primarily locust.  I believe that you can say "Natural" or "All Natural" but unfiltered is iffy unless you are stuffing comb and all into the jar and not filtering any part of it. 

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 04:44:05 pm »
i like the 3rd one.  i'd replace "locust" with "raw".  raw is what people understand and care about.  that, and that the source is local.  and...take the th off Nth.  N is the understood designation for north when referencing a street.

looks good.  how much did you end up with this  year?? 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 05:07:07 pm »
Your third one is the best because all your labels have going for them are the font. You need to add a colored boarder and background. Something that goes with the red text but doesn't get lots in whatever color your honey is.

I hate the word locust. Remove it or replace it with a small pic of whatever a locus flower looks like. Put it off to the side. make it say locus honey or or locus bloom. Something needs to be done with it.

Greg's Bees, I'm guessing this is your name but it doesn't grab me. I'd say change the name.

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 05:12:23 pm »
Thanks everyone for your opinion! I did not expect this much input!

I made two revisions based on some of the input. Let me know what you think. I will be messing with them later tonight I am sure.

I took 160 pounds of honey and 45 pieces of cut comb off of 3 hives. There is already probably another 100 pounds waiting to be completely capped and hopefully more to come before the next harvest.

I claim that the very light honey I harvested this year is Locust Blossom because the hives it came from are located in the woods and there is a lot of locust around there that was blooming. I have 1 hive that I harvested a little darker honey from located in the city which is probably more wild flower/clover.

I am printing these by the page so I will be changing the source as needed.

Thanks again

Semper Fi

Offline Flygirl

• House Bee
  • ~ It's never to late to have a happy childhood ~
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 05:16:14 pm »
Hey Greg ~

I like the third one too.  I like the fonts you used.

I'm working on a label too & I found this site where you can use a label with all the nutritional data on it.  You can configure the serving amount (1 Tbls or 1 cup, etc) & the label will change & accurately calculate all the nutritional data per serving.  The label shows up as a jpeg so all you have to do is cut & paste ~  You might like this for the back side of your packaging.

The site is :  nutritiondata.com

You have to register as a user but it's free.

FG
~ It's never too late to have a happy childhood ~

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 05:26:49 pm »
Thanks Ants I think the label did need a border or background also. I put one on quick and it makes it look better I think. I was thinking about taking a photo of some fresh drawn comb and using it as a background. I can not come up with a catchy name to save my life. So I went with Greg's Bees. I will probably change it if I come up with something else.

Do I need to get rid of the bee pics on the label?

Thanks FG I will check it out.

Semper Fi

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 05:39:06 pm »
Of your second group my kids liked the bottom one and the third one of your first set.  They like the fact that pure is, as they say,  "...part of the title." and they like the bees, they just need to be clearer.

We saw Yankee Doodle Dandy, with James Cagney last Friday and they came up with either Peck's Bees or Peck's Bad Bees.  I told them they may want to rethink the Bad part. ;)  Personally I liked it.

OOOPs.  Forgot one said she liked Greg's Honeybees.

The boss just weighed in with liking the middle one and the last one you did with the red border.  She had a hard time deciding and would still like the last two shown with borders.

We are not marketers, so take our input with a grain of salt.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)