Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cold Temp cutout  (Read 3129 times)

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
Cold Temp cutout
« on: January 07, 2011, 09:44:46 pm »
Anyone had experience with cold temp cutouts, say temps in upper 40s to 50s?  I'd like to get these bees while they are in low numbers due to their difficult overhead location.  I also want to make sure I get this feral queen (actually two hives in one portico).  Just wondering how the bees will react to the cold temp exposure.  I don't plan on putting the comb in frames-rubber banding.  I was just going to put the combs in nucs and worry about moving the bees up into frames as spring comes on.  I also like the thought of cold honey--less mess.  What do you think?
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Cold Temp cutout
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 10:07:32 pm »
I would not try it if the hive can wait until spring.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 10:12:19 pm »
I've put off all my cut outs until spring for now...it's not so much that I don't have warm days to do it, it that there is no flow right now and the stress is enough on the bees during good times. The colony tends to shrink a good bit after a cut out too and without much forage to goad the queen into building back up they may collapse.

Best case scenario is you'll have to give them a feed that they'll take at this time of year and watch em closely.

Worst case is you'll loose them.

Just laying the comb in a nuc is not the best idea if there is any brood at all unless you can keep them in the same orientation and provide adequate bee space between the comb.

Leave them until spring if at all possible.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 10:13:59 pm »
The only hanging swarm I have ever had attack in mass was at 46 degrees. Over 150 stings in less than 10 seconds.

I will never bother cold bees again.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 11:25:34 pm »
I would tell you to go ahead if you absolutely, absolutely 100% have to but the chance of losing them is extremely high. If you can wait that is the best option.

As mentioned, they are not too happy being removed this time of year.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 11:53:55 pm »
Take some pictures tell some more of were they are? what are they in ?
Why do they need to go (now?)
Can you vac and combine
are they a large colony
you said 2 hives over head ?
Over head laying on back under Mobile home ?
Maybe with more info someone can come up with help

I also want to make sure I get this feral queen
don't plan on putting the comb in frames-rubber banding.  I was just going to put the combs in nucs and worry about moving the bees up into frames as spring
How would the bees work that Comb :?

Pull them FedEx next day air  to OZBUZZ  :-D
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 10:56:08 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  I believe they can wait.  I just wanted to get some opinions.  I've done my fair share of cutouts and trapouts but always in warm weather.  BTW--The comb would remain verticle in my nucs--I have my ways.  I was hoping to get the bees out before they started building up and their was a lot of brood.  But I did not like the sound of 150 stings!!!! :mrgreen:
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 12:31:08 am »
Yeah, I would wait.  By Spring there won't be much honey anyway.

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"