Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First hive  (Read 2784 times)

Offline Tyrone

• New Bee
First hive
« on: January 09, 2006, 12:20:33 pm »
I've started buying items for my first hive.  I'm going with an 8-frame hive from Brushy Mountain.  I have a list of things I still need to buy and a sequence in which to buy them as I can afford them.  My question today is about bees.  There is an apiary about three hours from me in Stillwater, MN and I was thinking that that should be my source.  I figure I can drive up there and get the bees rather than have then sent in the post.  That way will be a lot less stressful on me as I won't have to worry about their condition when they arrive and I think it would definately be easier on the bees.  Has anyone done business with them or know anything about them?  How big of an order should I make?  TIA......Steve

I forgot to mention the name of the supplier is Nature's Nectar, Inc.

Offline latebee

• House Bee
First hive
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 10:36:03 pm »
Although I have never done business with the firm you mentioned,I would suggest you purchase either a three pound package of bees with a queen or one nuc. Does this outfit have a website? Anytime you can buy bees close to home base is great, because they would have better survivability, if in fact  they are reared locally.
The person who walks in another's tracks leaves NO footprints.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
First hive
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 10:50:50 pm »
I prefer to pick them up to having them mailed if I can.  They are usually in much better shape.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Stingtarget

• House Bee
First hive
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 11:50:47 pm »
Brushy Mountain Bee Farm in my area was very helpful and prices were competetive.  I picked up my two packages there last year as they are located about 2 hours N.E. of me.  I didn't realize they had a store in Iowa as well.  I have now found a local supplier and use him instead for convenience - he's only 20 minutes away.

Offline Tyrone

• New Bee
First hive
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 12:56:13 pm »
Stingtarget.....Brushy Mountain doesn't have a store in Iowa.  I'm dealing with them mailorder.  I chose them because they are the only ones I've found so far who sell 8-frame hives and related equipment.  I'm hoping my experience with them will be good.  I'm guessing from your post that they have been good to you.  Compared to where Brushy Mountain is Dadant is just a state away but so far I haven't been impressed.  I ordered a video from them on Dec. 23.  They sent me an email that shipment would be delayed because of inventory.  Understandable.  My order was finally processed on Dec. 27 but not shipped until Jan. 2.  Quite a gap there.  I hope that was just a one time thing.  I do a lot of mailorder buying and believe and expect that orders should be shipped the same day they are processed, unless there is a backordered item of course.          

Michael......In a few of your posts you have talked about using 8-frame hives almost exclusivley.  I've bought Brushy Mountain's medium hive with the intent of adding another medium super to add more room to the brood and food chambers.  My question is where will I put the queen when I introduce her to the hive?  At the top of the bottom medium or the middle one?  Or should I go with a deep hive bodies and use the medium supers for honey production?   I'm trying to cut down on the amount of weight I will have to deal with when it comes time to do the lifting part of the hobby.  TIA...Steve

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
First hive
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 09:07:59 pm »
My question is where will I put the queen when I introduce her to the hive?

I would put the package in one box.  Save the others for after they have filled that one box.  Then add another box and when that one is mostly full add the thrid.

> At the top of the bottom medium or the middle one?

If you do use all three at once the bees will simply go to the top box and build down from there.  But they will have to work much harder to keep it work and protected.

> Or should I go with a deep hive bodies

If you want to lift 70 pound boxes and have a mixture of frame sizes.  but I wouldn't.

> and use the medium supers for honey production?

I use all mediums.  I use all eight frame boxes except for my long hives and a few odds and ends laying around.

> I'm trying to cut down on the amount of weight I will have to deal with when it comes time to do the lifting part of the hobby.

Then you want all medium eight frame equipment.

Brushy Mt has always beengood to deal with, in my experience, yes sometimes things get backordered but they have always been fair and usually are quite quick to deliver.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything