Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: winter storage for boxes and drawn out frames?  (Read 7759 times)

Offline paulh

• New Bee
winter storage for boxes and drawn out frames?
« on: August 17, 2009, 12:24:53 am »
Yeah, after nearing 90 today, winter seems a long way away, but...

Would it be better to store my supers and frames of drawn comb in the cellar or the shed?  Both will have some level of mouse activity, but more in the shed than the cellar.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
Re: winter storage for boxes and drawn out frames?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 12:35:18 am »
If you are storing brood combs then your bigger worry would probably be wax moths.
I have heard horror stories of brood combs being stored in basements and being destroyed by wax moth larva.
I am not sure what the best place would be but someone else will, or you can do a search on the forum.

Offline paulh

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 01:12:29 am »

I have heard horror stories of brood combs being stored in basements and being destroyed by wax moth larva.

Me too.  But the mice in the shed can also do much damage.  Then again, mice get in the shed already, so why bring moths into the house...   ???

Offline BruinnieBear

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 02:55:41 am »
I use peppermint oil in the cabinets in my workshop.  Mice hate it.  I haven't seen a mouse dropping since I started using it.  4 or 5 drops in an empty pill bottle cap every couple months and you're good to go.  I don't know why you couldn't use it in the supers.

For the wax moths, I'm going to try dried lavender in cheesecloth.  I guess I could use moth cyrstals, but I can't stand the smell.

BB
Some days you just have to learn the hard way!

Bruce & Minnie Fairbanks

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 10:54:24 am »
I store both brood boxes and supers in my basement.  I freeze them for a day and let them thaw out for a couple hours.  After that is done, I double wrap them in garbage bags, alternating the opening and duct taping the little hole that is left after you draw it tight and tie it up.  I've yet to have an issue with this.  I've seen mouse poo on and around the bags, but I have yet to see them go in.  Wax moths have yet to be an issue also.  I've done this for 3 years now.  The worse that's happened is the comb gets a bit moldy on occasion, but the bees clean it right out with no issues.  If you use this method, use a bow knot to tie your bags so they are easy to open and not destroy the ties.  Once you take the boxes and frames out the next year, you can reuse the bags for storage again or for their intended purpose.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 11:46:22 pm »
Wax moths do not like light and will not survive cold temps.  So here in Massachusetts I keep all my equipment outside.  I built a screened bottom base with #8 galv. mesh.  I then keep all my supers stacked one above the other.  I top this with a screened top that has a 1" space and then is covered with a piece of plexyglass.  No wax moths, mice, bees or large insects get in.  I might have a few ants once in a while but it is not a problem.  Nothing survives during the winter, it is ventilated top-to-bottom and light enters from above and below.

Many years ago I used to keep all my equipment in the cellar and found that wax moths allways managed to attack the frames.  Back then I used moth balls (CHEMICALS!!!!) to keep the moths away.   Never again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.
Notice I did not say they were people who I admire !!!