Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: what to do with drawn comb  (Read 1331 times)

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
what to do with drawn comb
« on: July 30, 2013, 01:05:28 pm »
Question,
I have recently harvested honey and now have several boxes of drawn comb. I want to put them out for the bees to rob what is left of the honey but concerned they will tear up the comb in the process. I will be taking these supers out west to work sunflowers and would like the comb to remain some what intact so that the bees will be able to put up more honey and not have to draw as much comb.
What do y'all think?
"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Offline danno

• Super Bee
Re: what to do with drawn comb
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 01:29:22 pm »
its what i do.  i stack them on pallets with a solid top because the bees do dislodge alot of wax flakes that i melt down.   i stack them about 10 high criss crossing so the bee's can get in and out in any corner at any level.  I throw a lid on the top in case of rain.  usually takes a couple of days and they are dry

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 01:31:22 pm »
It is the standard way to do it. They will cut some comb but overall it will remain intact for use. Just make sure you do it  away from the hive so it does not induce robbing. Some put comb back on top of hive above the enter cover and hen place top cover back on top of hive to seal from outside robbing.
John 3:16

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 01:34:06 pm »
Danno types faster than me :-D
John 3:16

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 04:39:09 pm »
I am a fast typer.  just imagine how fast I would be if I used 2 fingers :-D