Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: weighing options  (Read 2554 times)

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
weighing options
« on: November 13, 2012, 07:03:13 pm »
Besides placing a hive on a platform scale, what other option would you have in weighing a hive on a daily basis?

Several years back, I remember some electronic system that did temp and weight among other things, and sent data back to you. Anyone remember what it is called? And has anyone ever had this?

Any ideas? Or some other option?

Thank you
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Maryland Beekeeper

• House Bee
  • Nature does nothing uselessly. Aristotle
Re: weighing options
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 07:38:06 pm »
Been trying to come up w/ a solution to that as well. Best I've come up w/ so far is 4 k-mart scales, one @ each corner, a hanging hive like they do in Africa w/ scale in rigging, probably only practical for TB hives, or a scale on a car jack that could slide under hive.
Cheers,
Drew

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 09:08:57 pm »
put a sling around hive and weigh with a set of cotton scales.  And why do you want to know daily weight.

Joe

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 09:29:37 pm »
Blorn, think that thread was on BS somewhere.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 08:06:11 am »
Perhaps small load cells under the corners of the bottom board and a way to record or  transmit the data? I think I saw the system you mentioned,but do not recall where.
Hive scales are a good flow indicator and can also record depletion of stores without opening the boxes to have a look.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 11:25:10 am »
I probably shouldn’t even comment on this thread since I haven’t made a hive scale yet; but I have done a little research.  With regards to load cells on each corner, that becomes very expensive without the use of mechanical levers.  For example, if you wanted a scale that could measure up to 400lbs, then each corner load cell would need to have a range of at least 100lbs.  You would want to over engineer that since hive weight could be more on one corner than another.  So say 125lbs load cells.  

Not saying this is the best place to buy the things, but ebay prices for load cells having a range of around 100lbs typically run around $100 Each.  Since you would need 4, that would be $400 just for the cells.  

On the other hand if you use mechanical levers with the load cells (like most bathroom scales do) you can cut the costs of the load cells dramatically.  If you implement a 10 to 1 lever, then each load cell only needs a range of 10 to 12lbs.  Those run about $8 each on ebay. 4 x $8 = $32 plus the cost of the mechanical levers.

Then the problem becomes finding the room under the bottom board to implement four 10 to 1 levers and the cost of making the mechanical levers.  If you’ve ever taken apart typical bathroom scales, they have quite the elaborate mechanical lever system in there.  

If I were going to try to make a set of hive scales using load cells (maybe someday), my thinking was to buy two 10lbs load cells for about $8 each and build 2 mechanical levers (front and back) with a 20 to 1 ratio.  However who knows, by the time I ever get around to that project, the 100 lbs load cells might come down in price to $10 and then I could skip the mechanical lever mess altogether.  

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 12:17:45 pm »
I have been thinking about a cotton scale, an engine hoist and a sling. Electronic units are costly. If I were designing one I would double the capacity of the load cells especially if they could see any shock load. Besides you have to calibrate those things.
Later,
Ray

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 09:35:02 pm »
OK BjornBee, here’s a low tech $3 solution for you.

Bought these old mechanical spring scales last week in a garage sale.  Two for $3.

Offline Belewsboy

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 01:32:47 pm »
I made a scale using a digital luggage scale.  Lift one side at a time...add the two together for the total.  Takes about 15 seconds per side.  I put the results in an Excel Graph.  Interesting data.  I've uploaded a photo to the Administrator for posting.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 02:50:34 pm »
 :-D I like bluebees scales  :-D

But if you want a high tech solution that you can follow on the Webb, I have a few colleagues that use these i a field research project for the European Union.

http://www.beewatch.biz/index.php/stockwaage-41.html

mvh edward  :-P