Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 4th week 4th inspection  (Read 1582 times)

Offline MarkW

• New Bee
4th week 4th inspection
« on: June 01, 2006, 06:02:58 pm »
Hive #1 looks good about 70 to 75 % comb drawn out, lots of new bees, did not see the queen this time and could see no eggs (I have a hard time seeing them) I did see larva in some uncapped cells. One center frame had what looks like a queen cell in about the middle of the frame. Should I do anything with the cell? This hive the bees are a little more aggressive than the other when I do the inspections.

Hive #2 looked like less activity at the hive and less bees. I checked it around 7:00pm it was still around 75 and sunny out. Brood has hatched. I did not see any eggs but did see larva in some cells also did not see the queen this time. This hive has only around 60 to 65% drawn out. This colony was hived one day later.

Both hives came from 3lb packages about 4 weeks ago. 1st two weeks where cold and rainy last two have been hot highs in the 80’s to about 90 on one day with lows in the 60’s. Is this about average for building up comb and brood?

Thanks MarkW

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: 4th week 4th inspection
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 06:19:52 pm »
Quote from: MarkW
Hive #1 looks good about 70 to 75 % comb drawn out, lots of new bees, did not see the queen this time and could see no eggs (I have a hard time seeing them) I did see larva in some uncapped cells. One center frame had what looks like a queen cell in about the middle of the frame. Should I do anything with the cell? This hive the bees are a little more aggressive than the other when I do the inspections.

Leave the queen cell alone. It sounds like it is doing pretty well. You may want to plan on doing an add to the hive in about 2-3 weeks if all goes well. Keep an eye on this one look for capped brood cells. Hives tend to be aggressive for a variety of reasons , one being a bad queen. When you look in next week look for the capped cells that indicate a laying queen. Sp far this sounds good. Please also don't freak out if you don't see what you are looking for. Package queens don't start laying rightaway but this one sounds like it is starting to perform the right tasks.

Hive #2 looked like less activity at the hive and less bees. I checked it around 7:00pm it was still around 75 and sunny out. Brood has hatched. I did not see any eggs but did see larva in some cells also did not see the queen this time. This hive has only around 60 to 65% drawn out. This colony was hived one day later.

Sounds pretty good also. same as above.

Both hives came from 3lb packages about 4 weeks ago. 1st two weeks where cold and rainy last two have been hot highs in the 80’s to about 90 on one day with lows in the 60’s. Is this about average for building up comb and brood?

Thanks MarkW

I would say in Iowa or anywhere else this seems to be pretty normal.  When the queen is capping the majority of frames and the bees are startiing to be substantial in number, it may be time to add a body to the hive.

Congradulations your normal.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible