Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Blog Post: Deadout Inspection  (Read 13914 times)

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
Blog Post: Deadout Inspection
« on: February 16, 2013, 07:40:13 am »
Here's the full report on our winter deadout.   

http://rurification.blogspot.com/2013/02/deadout.html

A pic from the post:

Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Blog Post: Deadout Inspection
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 10:39:10 pm »
 that's a good post and good postmortem.  don't feel bad.  no matter how long we do this, we are going to have some losses that surprise us.  i know how you feel about losing a good hive.  i still feel bad about one i lost a couple of years ago and it was my fault for not verifying a queen before winter.  they had replaced the one they had and my guess is that the new one didn't make it back.

live and learn......
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 01:27:59 am »
Nice write up Robin. This will help me and other I'm sure.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 01:23:14 am »
Thanks Robin,

As a soon to be new beek I need all the information I can get.

I really am sorry for the loss of you hive.

Losing hives scares me the most.

Good luck this year.

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline Stromnessbees

• New Bee
    • Nicotine Bees
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 06:59:30 am »
Hi Robin

I'm afraid, your hive died from CCD, caused by neonicotinoid poisoning.

The bees collect these systemic pesticides in summer with their forage, and then the colony dwindles away to next to nothing in the winter, the remainder of the bees dies from the cold.

Maybe it's only your strongest colony affected, as they might have discovered a contaminated food source too far away for the others to exploit.

Please try to identify the source of the toxin, it could be seed treated crops, pesticide trenched orchards or lawn treated parks and golf courses.

You might want to join the campaign to get these pesticides banned.

Moots

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 07:45:32 am »
Hi Robin

The bees collect these systemic pesticides in summer with their forage, and then the colony dwindles away to next to nothing in the winter, the remainder of the bees dies from the cold.

Maybe it's only your strongest colony affected, as they might have discovered a contaminated food source too far away for the others to exploit.

Please try to identify the source of the toxin, it could be seed treated crops, pesticide trenched orchards or lawn treated parks and golf courses.

Other theories Stromnessbess is also pursuing....
neonicotinoid poisoning is also responsible for the following:

World hunger
Mitt Romney losing the Presidential election
The Pope stepping down
The BP Horizon rig disaster
Hurricane Katrina
The 911 terrorist attacks

Just to name a few.  :-D

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 08:12:44 am »
Hi Robin

That's an interesting diagnosis, but aren't CCD hives usually abandoned?   This one clearly wasn't.   Following Occam's razor, there's a lot of evidence that other things besides CCD played a big part in the deadout - like winter, highly variable temperatures, robbing, small cluster size.   

I'm no fan of neonics - and we're in Indiana, so there's plenty of experimental corn, etc in our county, but not within 5 miles of us.   Also, all of the corn around us died last year because of the drought, so I really don't think that's what happened here.
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline Stromnessbees

• New Bee
    • Nicotine Bees
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 10:20:11 am »
Depending on other circumstances, deadouts caused by neonics don't all look the same.

If the maize is grown about 5 miles away, it would explain why only the strongest colony collapsed, as smaller ones don't forage as far away.

Anyway, please keep your eyes open about this topic and try to talk with neighboring beekeepers about the problem, to see if their experiences are similar and if the ones closer to the maize are affected more than others.

Offline Stromnessbees

• New Bee
    • Nicotine Bees
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 09:35:01 am »
... and please let us know if you can find out any more information.

More photographs or even a short video of deadouts are most welcome!

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 06:54:31 pm »
If it is too cold in the hive because of a small cluster and too much open space in the hive,it is very hard for bees move even a small distance to stores.You should have your mite population knocked way back in August before they start raisng the bees that will overwinter. If they are sick going into fall they may perish even with good numbers and good stores.When the queen slows laying in the fall,if there is any kind of mite load at all they attach themselves to the bees since there is no brood to go into.
In the fall,all empty combs should be removed and bees confined to the tightest quarters possible.
Most cases off ccd the bees usually won't touch the remains in the hive. I think your dysentary and robbing in the fall gave you more problems than any thing else. And if you were queenless or had a failed queen your cluster would have done nothing but decrease in size to the point of no return. The bees usually raise small  patches of brood now and then through winter to maintain numbers.

Offline fshrgy99

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 08:23:26 pm »
Excellent report and post. Very thorough and extremely well presented. My condolences on the loss of the hive. Hopefully your analysis is correct and the experience will give you greater insight into the care of your hives in the future. All the best.
Dennis

Offline Hohoei11

• Brood
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 04:14:22 am »
เยี่ยมไปเลยครับผม