Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cake Decorating Badge  (Read 19949 times)

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
Cake Decorating Badge
« on: December 12, 2010, 12:41:11 pm »
Hi All,

I just received the e-mail on the beek merit badge and thought I would share an Alabama father's recent personal observations (from another forum) regarding the BSA.  
Quote from: swindle
So how does one find and approach a Scout troop to volunteer for a leadership role? Particularly without looking like some sort of pedo since I don't have kids myself.  ;)

Swindle:

You seem like a fine young man with his head screwed on straight, and I find your desire to volunteer and help out commendable. So please don't take what I'm about to say personally or in the wrong way.

The bottom line, at least in my dealings with the scouts, is that there is no way in hell you'll be allowed anywhere near a troop to teach traditional skills.

The first problem is your assumption that the mission of the scouts is to teach woodland skills of some sort. From my experience, it's devolved into a social club designed as much to feed the egos of the adults as the character of the kids.

There is a rigid pecking order for the adults, and it's based on popularity, who has attended what "training", etc. Fundraising and selling overpriced popcorn is FAR more important than camping out.

The simple fact of the matter is that none of the adults I've met could start a fire using a ferro rod and natural materials if their lives depended on it - nor do they think that is important. What is important, in their eyes, is that proper procedure be followed and that on the annual campout, "skits" be performed, songs sang and all the formalities be observed.

We've had "campouts" where pizza was delivered to the campsite. So much for cooking in a dutch oven. The last campout I had a father walk up to me with his son and say "My allergies are really bothering me and I can't stay - can he sleep with you?"

The kid had no sleeping pad. He had a Sponge Bob indoor sleeping bag. No tent. No flashlight, no change of clothes - nothing. It was 50 degrees that night. Fortunately I had a spare sleeping pad and he slept in my spare tent with my son.

On that trip they turned the kids loose to ride bikes around the state park. I found an Indian arrow head in a freshly plowed field next to our campground. I took the arrowhead to the pack leader and suggested that perhaps the boys could be directed to get off their bikes and look for Indian points.

"That's definitely something to consider" was the response.

Do yourself a favor. Buy a copy of the current Boy Scout manual and see if it bears any resemblance to your notions of what Scouting is. Just remember, if it ain't in the book, it ain't gonna get addressed.

Oh, tonight was our cake juding contest. Here's the patch that the boys earned:

Yep - the Boy Scout emblem traced out by a cake decorating tool.

Sickening.

I told my wife this was the last straw. No more. Of course, she disagreed, saying how much our son enjoyed playing with the other kids and how much it would hurt him to pull him out. As usual, she misses the point. Typical feminine *******. It's not about playing and having fun - it's about building character and self reliance. But then again, what the **** do I know.

Hopefully that story isn't too discouraging.  :(  

bigbearomaha

Re: Cake Decorating Badge
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 02:54:54 pm »
a cake decorating badge in boy scouts?  Are you kidding me?

and here  I thought there was no way I could get a lower opinion of the Boy Scouts.

Most of the stuff they used to teach in boy scouts, I learned as a matter of getting through the day.  my kids learn those same things from me.   I have talked with some others who say they feel similarly, about starting our own "scouting" club type thing and get back to the basics.

We still working on it.

EDIT

I did a google search for a boy scout badge for cake decorating.

I couldn't even really find another reference to it save for one...

I found this webpage showing boy scout badges and there is no badge like that listed here.

I am not sure if you are pulling my leg or if it maybe it is a special badge for your particular troop maybe or it could be there are more badges than those I linked too  (if so, could you link to them so we can see if it is higher than a local level?)

« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 03:08:05 pm by bigbearomaha »

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 03:16:31 pm »
I don't think it is real, at least for the BSA.  Maybe for a more liberal, progressive group of scouts.

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 06:28:40 pm »
a cake decorating badge in boy scouts?  Are you kidding me?

<snip>

I am not sure if you are pulling my leg or if it maybe it is a special badge for your particular troop maybe or it could be there are more badges than those I linked too  (if so, could you link to them so we can see if it is higher than a local level?)

I don't think it is real, at least for the BSA.  Maybe for a more liberal, progressive group of scouts.

No, I'm not kidding nor trying to pull off a hoax or anything.  I'm just sharing what I believe is the truth.  As always, it's up to you to decide for yourself what is true or not.

Here's more info:

Your Google-fu already found the one link w/troop177 ~> http://www.troop177.scoutlander.com/publicsite/unitcustom.aspx?UID=470&CUSTOMID=759

Here's another: "Father & Son Cake Contest"

Oh lookee, Scout Stuff has the emblem for sale.

Unconvinced?   :-\  Give Cub Scout Pack 235, Vestavia Hills, Alabama a call and inquire yourself.   ;)

Anyways... if they've got a badge for "Cake Decorating" it wouldn't seem that having one for beekeeping would be so difficult or inappropriate?  Of course, I have to admit to having no idea what the BSA is all about.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 06:47:48 pm »
I'm not sure what to think of the scouts.

I was a scout through the three levels, and quit when girls became too important.

Now it seems around here, most packs are associated and are run out of, or run by, local churches.

I also worked years ago for a guy who was gay and a scout leader.  :shock:

I want my kid to go camping, learn shooting, do Derby's, all the stuff I did. When I was in, it was not a religious thing. It was a get out in the woods and have fun thing. I had a blast. But I'm not convinced it is worth the effort or what I want for my boy, due to the changes over the years.

Maybe I should just pass on the scouts and just fast-forward and get my son a girlfriend.  :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 08:30:29 pm »
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 08:30:55 pm »
To Ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth. (and be the best BBQer and camp oven cake baker at camp) I'm totally ok with well rounded-ness except when well-rounded becomes defined as To Ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth. (and be the best BBQer and camp oven cake baker at camp) cake decorating.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 08:45:57 pm »
Hey, BJ, maybe you should become a Romanian Gypsy...........

http://www.39online.com/entertainment/onlinedish/kiah-online-dish-10-year-old-birth-dish-story,0,6163939.story

Ok, did this just happen?

Did I hear dialog from a 27 year old, about a 10 year old giving birth, right after she played with a "Beev" doll and acted like a 10 year old. I'm confused.  :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 09:03:45 pm »
No, I'm not kidding nor trying to pull off a hoax or anything.  I'm just sharing what I believe is the truth.  As always, it's up to you to decide for yourself what is true or not.

First of all, your confusing Cub Scouts (ages 6-10) with Boy Scouts (ages 11-18).   Cub scouts are at the age that patches/emblems/pins/beads, etc are given out on a regular basis to have the cubs feel they are earning stuff, making progress, and to keep their attention.   Awards at that level are given out very liberally. Advancement happens pretty much for just showing up.  It is key to keep the boys involved and if you don't move up with your classmates, chances of not continuing are high.

On the contrary, Boy Scout Merit badges have strict requirements, require a merit badge councilor to mentor, verify, and sign off before the scout gets the badge.  Advancements require meeting strict requirements, sign off by your scoutmaster, and a board of review by a panel.

The cake decorating emblem you show is NOT a boy scout merit badge,  but an emblem for the younger cub scouts.

Unfortunately, a lot of scout groups have given into political correctness and don't provide the experiences that Baden Powell had intended for Boy Scouts.  But also keep in mind each pack/troop decide the activities they will do and how they will run their group.   Just like it would not be reasonable to judge all beekeeping clubs by a few,  you can not judge Boy Scouts by individual packs/troops.

Also it seems that over the years,  there is an ever increasing number of women leaders in the younger cub scouts.  Mainly because of broken families and/or fathers that don't care and/or are not around.  Not being a chauvinist, but women leaders do not instill the same things as male leaders.  But I still have a lot of respect for these women that step up and get the boys involved.

I assure you, there are many troops out there that still provide the great outdoor experience as well as instilling discipline, respect and character development.

In today's society with lack of morals and disrespect for others,  the opportunity Boy Scouts offers is needed more than ever.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

bigbearomaha

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 09:06:21 pm »
or some scouting group anyways.

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 10:43:30 pm »
No, I'm not kidding nor trying to pull off a hoax or anything.  I'm just sharing what I believe is the truth.  As always, it's up to you to decide for yourself what is true or not.

First of all, your confusing Cub Scouts (ages 6-10) with Boy Scouts (ages 11-18).  

I did not attempt to make a distinction between Cub & Boy Scouts and was not confusing them because I didn't know there were two separate groups.  lol!

Of course, I have to admit to having no idea what the BSA is all about.

They both use the same emblem and that badge is listed for sale on " Welcome to the Boy Scouts of America retail store.", which led me to believe they were a single organization.   I had recently read that personal account I posted, received beemaster's e-mail today and thought...serendipity  :? hmmm.  

Apologies if my thread was irrelevant.

Maybe, since "Awards at that level (Cub Scout) are given out very liberally", a Cub beekeeping award (of some sort) could be a good starting and/or additional goal (to the Merit Badge)?   I know my own kids will be well at it by then (6-10yrs)  8-).   Of course (off topic), mine will be doing like this darling (@ age 5) as well.  

:-D
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 10:56:22 pm by Dane Bramage »

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 12:05:47 am »
Just as brownies are to girl scouts, so is cub scouts to boy scouts. They are the same except having the distinction of being separated by age groups.

I also remember a transition group called the "Weeblos" or something sounding like that.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline Zulu

• New Bee
    • Ballinger Bees
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 10:08:03 pm »
Weblos  - We be Loyal scouts - is indeed the transition group around age 10-11

I help out with my sons group - now Weblo II , but am appalled at some of the basics that are missing . Simple Knot tying for example.

I always bring a few hanks of nylon rope with me , and teach them to tie a Bow line one handed (like hanging onto a cliff), it becomes a game, but not a single one of the dads or leaders could even do a std bowline. 
We do have one expert on Dutch Oven cooking at least.

No star gazing when we go camping, poor to little compass work , it is the 9-12 year old boys that get lost.

None of the boys knew how to identify North in a forest  (Moss on north side only)

All these things I was taught before I was 13 , and most of it at Scouts.

The PC stuff also annoys me too, telling me I must hand in my Blood press meds and get them at meals times - take a hike, just asking me that boiled my blood , never mind the darn pressure ...

BUT......

Having said all that , my son enjoys it, and I try to make a difference to all those boys that spend some time around me, and I plan for each camp or outing to be a learning occasion. Unfortunately as a sales manager across the whole SE , I just cannot be a leader.
Newbee 2011

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 07:37:53 pm »
Even back in the 50'S Women were active in Cub scouts. Each Cub Scout pack was divided into Dens. We had weekly den meetings at the den mother's house & a monthly Pack meeting. I then moved into Webelos, Boy Scouts, & eventually Sea Scouts. I was tapped out for the Order of the Arrow around 1963 & made Eagle around 1965 ( I'd have to look it up ). Scouting was always a positive experience. We had camporees where troops competed in camping skill contests. My patrol always won. We were serious about it. One year a spring camporee was canceled because a severe storm blew threw. Our troop had already set up camp so we & a dozen or so other troops stayed. It hailed so heavy that the ground was covered 3-4" deep with marble to golf ball sized hail stones. The St Louis District council issued a special "Hail-O-Ree" patch for those of us that stayed. Camping, hunting, hiking, fishing, swimming, archery, sailing.....all things I learned thru scouting. Plus it gave a city kid a chance to get out in nature. I hope there are still some REAL scout troops left.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 07:54:55 pm by rober »

Offline Satch

• House Bee
  • Grandpa and Brandon in the hives
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 12:58:37 pm »
I realize that this post is old, but have been active in the scouts since my son started as a Tiger.  We hunt, fish, live off the land as much as possible and this past spring he moved up to Boy Scout.

Our Troop is dedicated to making sure that the young men know how to survive and live off the land like the original scouts were set up to do.  This weekend we are having a wilderness survival campout.  The Scouts will be provided with what they bring plus a tarp for shelter.  Their meals will depend upon their being able to navigate by compass and topographic map.  We have 900 acres that has been set up for this weekend.

Next spring our troop will sponsor the Spring Camporee for two counties here in central Missouri.  The outcome of this weekend will be the layout of next springs Theme.

I have had many discussions here with the council leadership about working to get the beekeeping badge back and so far with no success.