Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Observation Hive (Lots of Pictures)  (Read 3315 times)

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
Observation Hive (Lots of Pictures)
« on: June 07, 2007, 05:06:50 pm »
A very easy Queen Search

Anyone know a good way to clean the glass? It's got wax and honey on it from previous times. I didn't know honey cells were bad to put in it at the time.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Observation Hive (Lots of Pictures)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 06:01:18 pm »
A razor blade scraper from an auto store works well for this!

Offline Barngodess

• New Bee
  • Labradors RULE
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 04:50:58 pm »
I have a question...... in looking at the first pic here posted,  how do you read that frame ? There are lighter colored cells, looks like capped, in the LH top corner,.... what are those ? There are darker in the center, again, appear capped.... what are those ?  And the dark cells, those are fill with anything ?? I guess I really don't know what I'm looking at..... can someone take me by the hand ??

Melissa
 ;)
Never say never......

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 05:21:23 pm »
I believe the top frame is foundation which they are just starting to draw .The sunlight appears to be shining through it.On the drawn frame:The upper left has capped honey the lower center has capped brood and the dark cells are where brood has emerged. The queen could lay here again or the bees could use them to store honey or pollen.The cells get darker with foot traffic and brood rearing of the bees

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 05:33:51 pm »
Also in the top photo, you'll notice a patch of dark splotches in the upper right. That is actually dead bees still stuck inside the cells from the previous owners. The bees have been chewing up the cells to get them out of there. Today they are still removing a few of the dead bees but most of them are gone and the cells repaired.

Offline Barngodess

• New Bee
  • Labradors RULE
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 08:21:14 pm »
Ahhhhhhh... thankyou Buzzbee and MrIlovetheants.  I couldn't find ANY pics with explanations as to what all the different shades were....... I have NO experience yet reading what all this is. THANKS AGAIN ! That was a BIG help.,

Melissa
 ;)
Never say never......

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 12:32:04 pm »
MrILoveTheAnts.  Those are some pretty impressive pictures that you got going on there.  Beauties, thanks for taking the time to post them.  Have a wonderful day, great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything