Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 6-legged Bug Name??? FOUND IT!  (Read 5837 times)

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
6-legged Bug Name??? FOUND IT!
« on: October 03, 2007, 03:42:30 pm »
Hi everyone -

Completely un-related to bees:

We have a ton of these bugs on the warm-side of our home. Anyone know what they are? Our little Shih Tzu loves to eat them!

I'm also wondering if they're helpful or harmful?

Regards,

UtahBees

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
Re: 6-legged Bug Name??? FOUND IT!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 04:21:17 pm »
Google is my friend! I found a few examples and the name:

Box elder bug
Hemiptera: Rhopalidae, Leptocoris trivittatus

SIZE: About 1/2 inch (12.7mm)

COLOR: Black with red lines

DESCRIPTION: This bug is about 1/2 inch long and 1/3 as wide. It is black with three red lines on the thorax, a red line along each side, and a red line on each wing. The wings lie flat on the back when at rest. The young nymphs are red and gray. The population of bugs may number into the thousands.

HABITAT: Box elder bugs normally feed on the leaves, flowers, and seed pods of the boxelder tree or silver maple. Large numbers of box elder bugs are usually on the female, or pod-bearing, tree. These insects feed on male box elder trees and other trees and plants, but they usually do not build up to such large numbers. The adults search for a place to overwinter which brings them into houses where they hide in small cracks and crevices in walls, door and window casings, attics, and around the foundation. During warm days in winter and early spring they come out and scatter through the house. They are primarily a nuisance as they crawl or fly about in the rooms.

LIFE CYCLE: The adult bugs lay eggs in the spring and the nymphs emerge in a few days. The nymphs are small and show more red than adults. These nymphs develop into adults during the summer, then mate and lay eggs which hatch into the nymphs of the second generation. Activity of nearly fully grown nymphs is noticed in August and September when they gather in large numbers on the trunks of box elder trees. The migration of the adults begins at this time.

TYPE OF DAMAGE: The box elder bug becomes a pest in many houses each year in fall and spring. They do no damage by feeding, but their excrement spots on draperies are difficult to remove. The bugs cause little damage to trees.

INTERESTING FACTS: On warm days during winter and early spring, box elder bugs sometimes appear on light painted surfaces outdoors on the south and west sides of the house, resting in the sun.

Taken from:
http://www.ivyhall.district96.k12.il.us/4TH/KKHP/1INSECTS/boxelder.html

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
Re: 6-legged Bug Name???
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 04:29:22 pm »
Could be a Lygaeus species.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 10:20:14 pm »
Utah, we see a lot of boxelder beetles here as well, rarely inside.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 01:57:13 am »
I had hundreds of that insects under the cherimoyo tree, Annona cherimola. (Custard apple).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherimoya

The flower of this tree is complicated, during the morning is female, in the afternoon is male. So, to obtein big and beautiful fruits (500-800 grames every one) it is necesary to harvest the heavy polen during the afternon, sleep in the refrigerator (the pollen, not me) and pollinate the female flower during the morning with a paintbrush.
I observed that with massive invasions of that bugs under the tree the flowers were pollinated. I saw that there was a general pollination, there were more fruits, but smaller.

I forget to say that this tree is very sensible to the ice, more sensible than the avocado, that can tolerate ice during any hours (losing the leaves but saving the life).

And the chirimoyo flower smells very nice, when you are walking and smell the aroma from any hundreds of metres, you stop, hypnotized, and follow the trail. Really nice.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 02:13:05 am »
abejaruco.  That is incredible.  Such a beautiful thing.  Have a wonderful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 09:35:44 am »
Ah yes, boxelder bugs.  In the fall they will cover my parents house on the south/west side to soak in the rays.  There are lots!  A few always manage to get inside, they are forever vacuuming them up.

Well, they were...they moved so its not a problem anymore....

Rick
Rick

Offline the kid

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 10:10:08 pm »
we have a lot of them here ...
can ship a box or two to any one . just help pay shipping
the kid

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 03:45:54 pm »
abejaruco, now I am really jealous that you have access to cherimoya, this is by far my favorite fruit yet its too expensive to purchase but on occasion.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com