Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nipiing swarming in the bud...  (Read 5695 times)

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
Nipiing swarming in the bud...
« on: May 05, 2013, 06:58:09 pm »
I've got 2 TBH's this year installed from packages. They were originally placed into the same hive body on either end. Last week I moved one colony to a new hive body. As I expected there was alot of drift back to the old hive body. I was not able to get a look inside until today due to weather when I was available to look in.

There were lots of bees hanging around outdoors all week so I was a bit nervous and rightly so. Not only were there bees all over the the outside but literally covering the sides, bottom of the hive. The girls had 18 bars all but 3 of them are fully drawn. I found about 10 acorn cells and at least 4 queen cells with larvae in them. Mostly on 1 frame.

The queen is laying great in fact she doesn't appear to have slimmed down to swarm at all. I took 3 frames out of the colony and placed them over on the other side were I am still having bees return from the other colony. One of those frames I moved has 3 maybe 4 queen cells nearly ready to be capped.  I removed 1 queen cell from another frame and don't think there was larvae in any of the other acorns. I also added 3 more empty bars into the brood nest, between 1-2 frames of brood. Though to be frank there is only 1 maybe 2 combs in there that seem to be only honey every other comb has at least 50% brood on it.2 more bars, one on each end of the colony.

This is the frame with the 3 maybe 4 queen cells.

I know once the bees get it into their mind to swarm its pretty much a done deal but I am really hoping to at least delay the inevitable as I will be out of town when the queen cells should be 'hatching'. Is it reasonable to assume that the queen will likely go ahead and lay in the other acorn cells?

I need to quickly.... build some Nucs this week. I'm just afraid the main colony will swarm while I am out of town.

Here is a pic of the queen. Doesn't look like she'd be likely to fly anytime soon to me but what do I know?

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Re: Nipiing swarming in the bud...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 07:41:17 pm »
I've got 2 TBH's this year installed from packages. They were originally placed into the same hive body on either end. Last week I moved one colony to a new hive body. As I expected there was alot of drift back to the old hive body. I was not able to get a look inside until today due to weather when I was available to look in.

There were lots of bees hanging around outdoors all week so I was a bit nervous and rightly so. Not only were there bees all over the the outside but literally covering the sides, bottom of the hive. The girls had 18 bars all but 3 of them are fully drawn. I found about 10 acorn cells and at least 4 queen cells with larvae in them. . Mostly on 1 frame.
The queen is laying great in fact she doesn't appear to have slimmed down to swarm at all. I took 3 frames out of the colony and placed them over on the other side were I am still having bees return from the other colony. One of those frames I moved has 3 maybe 4 queen cells nearly ready to be capped.  I removed 1 queen cell from another frame and don't think there was larvae in any of the other acorns. I also added 3 more empty bars into the brood nest, between 1-2 frames of brood. Though to be frank there is only 1 maybe 2 combs in there that seem to be only honey every other comb has at least 50% brood on it.2 more bars, one on each end of the colony.

This is the frame with the 3 maybe 4 queen cells.

I know once the bees get it into their mind to swarm its pretty much a done deal but I am really hoping to at least delay the inevitable as I will be out of town when the queen cells should be 'hatching'. Is it reasonable to assume that the queen will likely go ahead and lay in the other acorn cells?

I need to quickly.... build some Nucs this week. I'm just afraid the main colony will swarm while I am out of town.

Here is a pic of the queen. Doesn't look like she'd be likely to fly anytime soon to me but what do I know?

X:X X:X X:X X:X X:X X:X X:X X:X

Looks like Queen cups to me I do not see any eggs or laves in the caps so NOT a Queen cell until this happens and it looks like you did seen some.

But what do I know ??? After keeping bees for 50 years  :roll:

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 08:00:36 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 07:45:21 pm »
won't hurt to take the old queen out and make a nuc with her.  be sure to leave eggs in the old hive.  don't mess with the queen cells/cups. 

you get a new nuc and maybe save the hive from swarming.  be sure to take to old queen out, not the queen cells.  by taking her out, the hive (hopefully) thinks it has swarmed.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 07:54:52 pm »
Good advice from Kathy. Exactly what I would do. BTW.........nice pictures.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 09:16:32 pm »

X:X X:X X:X X:X X:X X:X X:X X:X

Looks like Queen cups to me I do not see any eggs or laves in the caps so NOT a Queen cell until this happens and it looks like you did seen some.

But what do I know ??? After keeping bees for 50 years  :roll:

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)

There is larvae in the 2 cups side by side in the middle. I also pulled one apart that was capped. The other 2 cups in that frame I didn't get a good look into. I normally wouldn't mess with the queen cells but I didn't want her to emerge before I had a nuc ready. (Which will be ready tomorrow or tuesday). I'll put the other frames back when I 'nuc' the queen.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 10:06:19 am »
I see some larvae... I would do a split.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesswarmcontrol.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 11:02:48 am »
I see some larvae... I would do a split.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesswarmcontrol.htm

Yeah I did that, though I did it backwards not thinking. I pulled the frame with the cells out into its own section and left the queen. I got 90% of a nuc built last night and will finish it tomorrow then move the queen into that and put those cells back in the main hive. The real question I've got is how many splits to make. If I decide to only do 1, I should still leave all the Q-cells and let them fight it out right?

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 09:32:35 pm »
yes
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 03:22:12 pm »
Well I wasn't quick enough, the main hive swarmed yesterday. They didn't stick around long as I couldn't find them anywhere near my yard.

The 'split' with the cells I could see larvae in is doing good. Building new comb and the 3 cells, 2 I could see and the 3rd I suspected are now drawn and capped.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 03:44:20 pm »
a learning experience...and sometimes to go no matter what. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 04:32:45 pm »
As an aside, the state bee inspector was out today and he said I've got the nicest looking top bar comb he's seen in a while. Not sure how many top bars he see's.