Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: This was neat....  (Read 2866 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
This was neat....
« on: June 08, 2005, 05:20:39 pm »
....and wondered if anyone else had ever seen something like this.

I changed out one of my hive bodies today. Awhile ago I went to collect the empty after giving the rest of the bees time to find their new home. As I was loading it I noticed something on the ledge the frames sit on.

It was a wax moth that had crawled into the small space. The bees had propolized all the crack area and trapped the moth in there. It died in there. Don't know if they did in intentionally as all the other cracks had been sealed up accordingly.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
This was neat....
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 02:20:10 pm »
I have never seen that, but I have seen them propolize other "too big" to move things.  It is sort of their way to santize the situation.

I have seen wax worms in cracks and crevises where the bees can't get them.  They particularly like boring in between the frame side bar and top bar.

They also seem to like the space between the SBB and the slide in tray when closed.  The bees can't get to they, and they feed on the wax/pollen droppings falling thru the screen.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
This was neat....
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 08:19:24 pm »
I read somewhere that some bee's have been seen propolizing SHB's into corners on the bottom board.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
This was neat....
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 10:05:32 pm »
My bees actually propolised the top entrace last winter. It was a 3 inch by 1 inch hole, so it really surprized me that they could do that.

Beth