Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Drone Comb Question, Top Bar  (Read 2858 times)

Offline CAHighwind

• New Bee
Drone Comb Question, Top Bar
« on: June 19, 2010, 08:31:44 pm »
Howdy!  New beek here... so pardon any ignorance on my part.

I have 4 hives, one of which is a 19" wide top bar, 20 bars long.  My other hives (1 Lang with Russians hived on 4/17, 1 Long Hive with a swarm hived on 5/23, 1 Nuc from a swarm 6/13) all seem to already be capping honey, but the top bar (package Italians, hived 4/17) seems to be falling behind, after originally getting more comb drawn out than all the other hives.  Population in the hive seems to be increasing just as dramatically as my other hives, but there seems to be very little stored nectar in this one.  I fed them for the first 4 weeks, as I did all the hives, but pulled the feed afterward.  At first, the top bar had capped honey at the top of the bars, brood below, but as of this week's inspection, that honey was gone.  I stuck the feeder back on the top bar not wanting them to go without.

On inspection, I found the original queen, lots of eggs and brood.  However, it seems like 4 of the 17 completely drawn out bars are completely drone comb, and there do seem to be more drones in this hive than in all my others.  Brood pattern on all the other combs is tight, and all the others are covered in regular brood cells.  Does this sound like a high amount of drone comb for the number of drawn out bars?  If y'all think I should re-queen, it shouldn't be hard, I have a swarm hive right now that has several queen cells brewing, so I could get one of those new girls for the top bar.  Let's see, other info... the 4 hives we have on are 5 acres, out in the country outside of Denver, entire area for miles around is absolutely covered with all kinds of wild flowers, weather has been nice and mild for the last two months.  I see lots of pollen coming into this hive, as well as the others, but less stored pollen in the top bar than the others have amassed.  No obvious signs of any disease, mites are not seen on the bees, comb looks nice, and there are only very few dead bees ever on the ground near this hive.

If it does seem like too many drones, I reckon that would explain the loss of food in the hive, since they'd be eating up what the foragers were bringing in.  I don't want to do anything at all before getting some ideas from others wiser and more experienced than I with all this.

Thoughts?  More information needed?  Advise?  I'll be eternally grateful!  Thanks!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Drone Comb Question, Top Bar
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 11:55:09 pm »
I don't know about your area but here that would be about the right % of drone brood for this time of year.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 05:08:24 am »
Well... 20% would be a normal amount for drone.  Of 17 bars that would be 3 and a half bars...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline CAHighwind

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 04:33:02 pm »
All righty, if that sounds about right, then maybe the girls in this hive just haven't found the same things to bring in as the other hives.  I'll keep feeding them for a while, and see if they don't pick back up.  Thanks!