Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: FRAMES, Who really makes them....  (Read 8815 times)

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
FRAMES, Who really makes them....
« on: October 26, 2009, 11:03:53 am »
For the folks of Betterbee, W.T. Kelley, Dadant, Brushy Mt., etc  :?. I am curious as to who makes them, are they made inhouse or is there some secret facility  :evil: that makes the frames for most or all of these re-sellers. I am looking for frames whose top bar has no cuts ( I want a solid top, no wedge nor groove, nor slot )  I did check with W.T. Kelley, they do not do such things even though a well known Beek here implied that he has bought such frames in the past. Anybody here know who these woodworkers are that make the frames and woodenware  :?

BH

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: FRAMES, Who really makes them....
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 11:43:55 am »
I know it doesn't help you, but BetterBee get's them somewhere out of Canada....

Have you tried some of the woodenware-only shops like Humble Abode?   They are really nice to deal with,  I'm sure they could lead you in the right direction if they can't help.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 12:13:58 pm »
I know it doesn't help you, but BetterBee get's them somewhere out of Canada....

Have you tried some of the woodenware-only shops like Humble Abode?   They are really nice to deal with,  I'm sure they could lead you in the right direction if they can't help.

Rob,

Well there's a name I have not heard of for some time, Thanks  :-D

BH

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 08:14:54 pm »
Can't speak for all of them, but Walter T. Kelley makes their own.  Dadant owns Western Bee Supply who makes theirs.  The rest I'm not so sure of, but I called all of them trying to get them to custom make frames for me and Walter T. Kelley was the only one who would simply leave out the groove in the top bar for me.  No one else would even talk price.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 08:28:55 pm »
Can't speak for all of them, but Walter T. Kelley makes their own.  Dadant owns Western Bee Supply who makes theirs.  The rest I'm not so sure of, but I called all of them trying to get them to custom make frames for me and Walter T. Kelley was the only one who would simply leave out the groove in the top bar for me.  No one else would even talk price.

Mike,

I did talk to WTK a few weeks ago on this matter and unless I got a girl who did not know better,  they don't do such a thing  :(
I did however spoke with the folks up at Humble Abodes in Maine today ( Thanks Robo ) and they said they're willing to do it for me. :)
If Kelley still does it, I'd be happy to call them again, but who would I ask for so that I don't get the dummy again.  :?

BH

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 11:41:22 pm »
You make want to call Beeline Apiaries and Woodenware
Email: beeline@abcmailbox.net
Phone:  814 585 4699
They manufacture their own woodenware.They are located in Bedford,PA

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 09:39:36 am »
You make want to call Beeline Apiaries and Woodenware
Email: beeline@abcmailbox.net
Phone:  814 585 4699
They manufacture their own woodenware.They are located in Bedford,PA

Thank you, another for my contact list  :-D

Offline cam

• House Bee
    • circle 7 honey
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 03:22:55 pm »
Try Humble Abodes. They will make frames without cuts on the top bar. They also make some nice supers. Reasonable prices and quality workmanship.  They have a website.
circle7 honey and pollination

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 04:45:31 pm »
Try Humble Abodes. They will make frames without cuts on the top bar. They also make some nice supers. Reasonable prices and quality workmanship.  They have a website.

Thanks for the feedback, I contacted them yesterday about what I wanted and they will get back to me when the job is completed next week, funny they did not want the money up front  :?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 09:29:57 pm »
Walter T. Kelley has been reorganized in recent times.  They used to make their own frames, but I can't say they do at this moment.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 10:55:12 pm »
this is who I deal with now, good price on large orders, me and a buddy got 5000 ordered now, they build their own. we get them assembled, and still pay a lower price than other suppliers not assembled. if only we could find a deal on foundation :'( , but since their prices are close across the board on foundation we get it from W T Kelly, they just have the best IMHO!!

http://www.orrbeesupply.com/
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 11:27:55 pm »
For the folks of Betterbee, W.T. Kelley, Dadant, Brushy Mt., etc  :?. I am curious as to who makes them, are they made inhouse or is there some secret facility  :evil: that makes the frames for most or all of these re-sellers. I am looking for frames whose top bar has no cuts ( I want a solid top, no wedge nor groove, nor slot )  I did check with W.T. Kelley, they do not do such things even though a well known Beek here implied that he has bought such frames in the past. Anybody here know who these woodworkers are that make the frames and woodenware  :?

BH

Like every thing else, probably made in China.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 07:29:14 am »

BH

Like every thing else, probably made in China.

Steve

All of Humble Abode woodenware is made in Maine from  Maine pine trees
    http://humbleabodesinc.com/

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 10:42:31 am »
Humble Abodes sent me 100 medium frames with the uncut top bar last week and I did some experimenting with the table saw this weekend, it looks like it will work for me. I do have one caveat, the top bar just did not have enough meat to make a good 45 deg. bevel cut, maybe another 1/8" would be perfect. Anyways, I know now that HA will do custom work.

BeeHopper

Offline cam

• House Bee
    • circle 7 honey
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 01:07:20 pm »
I also got 100 frames with a plain top bar from Humble Abode... they were great with great service. I use a 45° router bit and it works great to put a wedge on the bars.
circle7 honey and pollination

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2009, 04:04:58 pm »
I spoke to Sean at Walter T. Kelley and I'm quite certain they do make their own frames.

-------------------

Offline Jack

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2009, 04:57:06 pm »
It takes a piece of stock approx. 1 1/8 x 1 1/8 in. to make a top bar with a complete 45 deg. bevel. I have made quite a few and they work well. The bees are not really fussy as to what they have when the circumstances are right.