Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The Muscovy mother that knows!!!  (Read 2326 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
The Muscovy mother that knows!!!
« on: May 13, 2008, 10:49:21 am »
It is time for the baby Muscovy ducklings to head out of the barn and into the field.  I had not quite closed the little fence inside the box stall that kept the babies and the mother inside safe from the other chickens, ducks and turkeys.  I did not know if the bigger birds would bother the mother and her babies.  Obviously not.  I saw this mother fly out of the confined area the other day and beat up one of the other ducks.  She didn't do any harm, but she was very obviously putting this particular Muscovy duck in her place, so she would stay away from the babies I would presume.

I had gone up to the house to set some dinner on the table and came back outside to do some work.  What did I see?  The mother Muscovy had taken the little ones out for their first stroll.  She must have seen that the little fence inside the paddock had enough room for them to slip out, they were probably very overdue with their first outing and boy did they have fun. I followed her around, taking pictures and watching, what a beautiful little sight to see all these little ducklings following their mother.  The Muscovys rest alot when they are young.  I have seen this time and time again.  They walk about 6 feet, flop down and rest for a moment or two, see that they are falling behind and run to catch up.  It is so cute and funny.  Enjoy the pics, and have that beautiful and most awesome day, Cindi

This was taken on May 4, long before they even thought about heading outside

This was taken on May 10, the day that they decided to hit the grasses

Heading into the apiary, where there is some really good slugs and bugs because I only let the birds in now and then to clean up stuff.

Heading home across the driveway after that long walk through the deep grass.

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: The Muscovy mother that knows!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 11:20:37 am »
Beautiful.  I can see in my mind the way Mom walks, the head movement, kinda like a chicken or pigeon but slow motion like they are looking closely at something.  They are so cute & the interest of the little ones for any microscopic thing in the grass. They are cute when they look up to follow a flying bug or see a tree branch sway. Mr. Muscovy would always bring up the rear to guard any that fell behind.  When the little ones flopped down he would sit right there till they got up, then hurry to Mom in case they missed any goodies! He would guard the runner babies too, &  nests when moms got up to eat or drink. If there weren't any ducks he would hang out w/chicks although they frustrated him cause they don't keep in a close group like ducks do.  Guess he just liked babies!  I like your idea of the chix wire INSIDE the building..more protection from evil mauraders!  :-x  Gonna steal your idea for my chix house! :-D  I'm putting 1x2 cage wire for the windows & any other openings, & along the bottom 1/2 of the building & 2x4 fencing under & buried out from the walls. There are extra pieces that have been lying around here forever..you know, we never throw away wire fencing, as there is always something we need it for years later!  :lol: With the price of wire now I can leave it to my daughters for their inheritance!   :evil:  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: The Muscovy mother that knows!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 11:37:26 pm »
Jody, good idea about sneaking my idea of the chickenwire, hee, hee.  We have that 1" chicken wire that goes up 4 feet on all the walls, it is also on the top of the wall and along the ceiling, so that nothing can get in from the top too.  We used the four feet one so on the top of the walls and the ceiling there is a 2 foot solid strong wire enclosing the roof.  We have that in the turkey box stall too, it is 100% safe from rats or ANYTHING.  After losing all those ducks last fall to some predator I am freaked out about anything entering at night.  There is absolutely no way on this possible earth that ANYTHING can get in when they are in for the night.  We made 100% sure of that.  I feel very good in this way, it makes me feel like I have protected all my babies, oh brother, that sappy side of me.  Lots of investment of emotion, work, time and caring has gone into raising all these critters and danged if I am going to let any sloppy ol' thing come in and do that mass slaughter, nope, ain't goin' there.  Good luck, you'll get your place safe too.  Beautiful day in this most wonderful life we live.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service