Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: building frames  (Read 5739 times)

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
building frames
« on: June 12, 2006, 06:52:26 am »
i happily discovered the woodworking part of beekeeping by building a couple of mediums...ok...one is built and the other is waiting to be built. at least i got to use some of my woodworking tools that i hadnt used for a while (portable planer, jointer, table saw, router, drill press). i used some pine that i got from my own trees that was milled by one of those portable bandsaw mills. i want one of them.
is it worth it to build frames for my mediums or just buy them? they seem to be fairly reasonably priced to buy and they dont weigh that much so shipping shouldnt be too much. does anyone build their own?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
building frames
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 08:07:05 am »
>is it worth it to build frames for my mediums or just buy them? they seem to be fairly reasonably priced to buy and they dont weigh that much so shipping shouldnt be too much. does anyone build their own?

If you want standard frames I think it's worth just buying them.  If you want tighter spaced, foundationless frames, you might want to make them.  I'd love to make a bunch of foundationless frames with 1 1/4" spacing.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
building frames
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 08:13:00 am »
My woodworking skills were nil before I began keeping bees.  Bought everything the first year, built my boxes and bought frames the second.  Shipping costs pushed the price per frame with foundation over $2 a frame, and I got some frames with warped top bars.  I figured I could do better than that.  So this year, using good quality 2X4s, I ripped out 100 or so frames, brood and super.  They cost about 25 cents apiece for the medium frames, 30 for the brood frames.  I used starter strips for the brood and wired foundation for the supers.  They make good quality frames, and I provide my own quality inspection as I make them.

The biggest investment is time.  It took several evenings to cut the frames out.  It's a thing to do in the winter when you have some time on your hands, not when you're pressed to complete other tasks.  I don't know if I would do it again if I could find a local supplier to pick up just a few dozen frames.  Or a place to buy the frames dissasembled in bulk for a decent price.  But if I do make more next year, I'll make larger runs of each part at a time.  Once you get the tooling set up precisely, the process goes fairly quickly.

-- Kris

Offline mastro

• New Bee
Re: building frames
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 12:19:00 am »
>is it worth it to build frames for my mediums or just buy them? they seem to be fairly reasonably priced to buy and they dont weigh that much so shipping shouldnt be too much. does anyone build their own?

If you want standard frames I think it's worth just buying them.  If you want tighter spaced, foundationless frames, you might want to make them.  I'd love to make a bunch of foundationless frames with 1 1/4" spacing.
Could you elaborate on the 1 1/4 spacing?

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 04:10:23 pm »
I enjoy building the stuff, I'm kind of addicted to it and my wife probably thinks I'm crazy with all these hive bodies being created....but I would like to try building some frames.  Would anyone share there secret for efficiently making frames from dimmensional lumber?, ie what stock you start to make the parts.  If not, I'll see if I can come up with an efficient procedure for making them and share it with the group.  For me, there is some additional pride of ownership when you make it yourself.
-Mike

Offline HomeBru

• House Bee
    • Drew Family Farms
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 05:06:12 pm »
Son and I started this year and made all of our wooden-ware from dimensional pine. We started on frames :Tops and bottoms ripped from standard 3/4" and started milling the sides out of 2x8 material when we took a break for lunch and discovered that we were not saving any money and it was going to take about 20 hours to cut parts for 100 frames... Your mileage may differ.

We turned around and ordered the un-assembled frames to at least feel like we were still "building" our own..

J-

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 05:15:54 pm »
  Would anyone share there secret for efficiently making frames from dimmensional lumber?, ie what stock you start to make the parts.  If not, I'll see if I can come up with an efficient procedure for making them and share it with the group.  For me, there is some additional pride of ownership when you make it yourself.

Some of the images appear to be gone, but perhaps this will help you
http://nordykebeefarm.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16&PN=1&TPN=1
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 06:39:48 pm »
Thanks so much Robo!...that is exactly what I was looking for.
-Mike

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 01:40:31 pm »
Here is how they are doing it down in Columbia.

[youtube]http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=1r2lKVZdEng [/youtube]

[youtube]http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=BnrOnc_ncYI
[/youtube]
[youtube]http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=hKo3ZXplDL4
[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1EhQnTpbH8 [/youtube]

[youtube]http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=44KODpkRONY [/youtube]

[youtube]http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=bNIKviZIDo0
[/youtube]
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 02:49:54 pm by Robo »

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 12:50:02 am »
I challenged myself to figure out the jigs for mass producing frames.  I bought a 3/4" wide blade for my band saw that really saves on re-sawing as mentioned.  A radial arm saw, jointer, planer, router, drill press and a band saw are used so far.  I have to build the jig for the top bars and that's it.  Probably not time efficient but will help reduce the amount of scrap lumber lying around.

David     

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 07:23:59 pm »
I gearing to make my frame too
Johnny
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 07:27:44 am by 1reb »

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 01:01:20 pm »
Oldenglish, the video gave me some ideas.

Johnny