Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ants in hive lid.  (Read 4153 times)

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
Ants in hive lid.
« on: October 19, 2011, 07:32:02 am »
Hi All,
I've got a steady stream of sugar ants running up the side of the box and into the lid between the timber frame and the tin lid. Would it be safe to use a small quantity of AntRid near the base of the hive or will the bees find this attractive and drag it back into the hive? Otherwise what treatment do you recommend to remove ants living inside the lid?
Thanks
b

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
Re: Ants in hive lid.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 07:11:13 pm »
I have had good success with ground cinnamon, but I only have a couple of hives in my back yard.

Have fun!

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 05:34:04 am »
Plonk you hives on little trays with water to make a barrier so the critters do not keep coming. Cinamon is the go as Ant Rid probably a borax base or some other toxic chemical that the girls may not like.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 08:06:06 pm »
Liberal amounts of ground cinnamon on your inner cover works well

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 07:23:08 pm »
Ant Rid does have a boron base, that's why I was wondering if the bees would drag it into the hive as the ants are supposed to drag it into their own nest to kill everything in there.

So the cinnamon just sits on top of the inner cover and dispels the ants? How do the girls go with traipsing the cinnamon through the hive?

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 08:13:07 pm »
So the cinnamon just sits on top of the inner cover and dispels the antsHow do the girls go with traipsing the cinnamon through the hive?

The bees don't seem to mind it much.  But you don't need to put a large amount on your inner cover.  Put it around the base and a bit on landing board.  Put it on the outside of the hive box and keep them off the hive so they won't get onto your top cover.  Yes, you do need to re-apply occasionally, but after a bit it sort of soaks in.

If the ants "down under" are like the ones here in Florida, you should be pleasantly surprised at how effective it is.

Have fun!

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 03:11:44 am »
Terrific, thanks Sundog, I'll go raid the pantry now before the missus gets home.

Offline Harpo

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 07:16:52 am »
So the cinnamon just sits on top of the inner cover and dispels the antsHow do the girls go with traipsing the cinnamon through the hive?

The bees don't seem to mind it much.  But you don't need to put a large amount on your inner cover.  Put it around the base and a bit on landing board.  Put it on the outside of the hive box and keep them off the hive so they won't get onto your top cover.  Yes, you do need to re-apply occasionally, but after a bit it sort of soaks in.

If the ants "down under" are like the ones here in Florida, you should be pleasantly surprised at how effective it is.

Have fun!

AWESOME SUNDOG! I know what I'll be doing tomorrow!

anything