Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Big & Tall Beekeeping Suits?  (Read 11269 times)

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
Big & Tall Beekeeping Suits?
« on: April 18, 2007, 10:17:47 pm »
Hey guys, got another question!

I bought a Tyvek suit in XXX Large just temporarly until I can save for a real suit.  Well I'm a big guy.  6'4", broad shoulders, about 300 lbs.  That 3xl tyvek suit fits my legs, but I cant get my arms in without ripping the crotch.  From Crotch to shoulders its way to small.  T-shirt size I wear a 2xl.  This suite was a 3XL!  I'm not fat, I'm big boned!  lol

Now here's my fear:  Mann Lake suits only go up to 2xl.  If a Tyvek 3xl wont fit, how the heck will I squeeze into the Mann Lake one?  Will I just have to be stuck with a "Polinator Jacket" and jeans?

Sean
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Re: Bee suit fear
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 10:22:18 pm »
Sean, you sound like you're built like my husband.  I searched the internet until I found this suit.  It was the only thing I could find that had the inseam length and depth of body for him (he's 6'4" and 270 lbs with very long legs- he's a big boy!).  It's not bad at $119 - at least it fits!  He can't wear jeans comfortably under it and sit down, however, so if he's got to go to my mothers he just puts on the bottom and ties the arms around himself until he gets out of the truck  :-D

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Bee suit fear
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 10:33:23 pm »
honestly, you probably don't need a suit.  at most, the jacket would do.  i have a pair of coveralls i have worn once when i did a cut out.  most of the time, it's just hat, veil, and usually gloves.  i just got a jacket with the zip on hood for those days that the buggers are testy, but have not worn it yet.  we don't have to worry about AHB, so although we'll get the occasional sting, it's unlikely we'll have any real problems with stings.

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
Re: Big & Tall Beekeeping Suits?
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 10:41:41 pm »
You know what?  I'm an idiot!  lol

I just took out the Tyvek suit while talking with my wife about it and took a look at the tag.  Brushy Mountian sent me the wrong size!  it was a Regular Large!!!  I ordered a XXX Large.  No wonder it didnt fit!  lolololol  I was getting kinda upset thinkin, "Man, I really need to lay off the twinkies, cant even fit into 3XL!"  hahaha

Oh well.

Sean
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline beeginner

• House Bee
  • The swarm I hived
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 01:50:43 am »
Man twinkies sounds good right now lol thanks a lot now ill hafe to get some ;) lol. Well today I got lot more stuff from the guy I bought my supers from. I got 7 hives for 7 bucks with frames and 5$ for galvanized tops and then 3$ for the bottom boards 3$ for the queen excluders and then the nice part is I found a lot of kelleys  crimp wired foundation 5 boxes for 12$  3 of them are the 5 5/8 then one deep and one 4 3/4 all new in the box. Thats there I got it big time lol then about 60 frames for 30$ but he did give me a bunch of stuff to like the flat tops but I do like them better thay fit a lot better. So now I 15 mediums and 7 shallow supers + all the stuff I got today lol . Im all ready getting a lot of stuff and I know I wont use it all but it was such a good deal I just had to jump all over it lol. The guy I get the stuff from is really old and he is on air all the time so he cant get out to play with his hives  and he told me I know I wont ever get to go out there with them any more and this stuff is not doing me any good so ill just sell it to you. Well sence im helping the state bee guy one of his friends needed hive bodys so I told him and me and him and ed the state bee guy went out there and man did he ever buy stuff lol 197 bucks worth of stuff. He thout he got all the hive bodys  with frames but I lookd and lookd and found some frames and I put  two more togeather then today i went out in his bee yard and I found some more. But you know what thay say finders keepers lol. He has 4 hives with bees in them but one is not doing good the hole thing was just about blockd where the bees cant get in or out so I opend it up some and got all the dead bees away that way the other ones can fly in. Im gonna ask him if I can take off the super and put a frame of brood from the other ones and put in the week one it really needs it or it wont last to much longer. Nice lil jr beekeeper there lol I know she will bee a grate help with you go get the honey lol might eat it all befor you can put it in the jar  :). Keep safe and have fun. 

Carson

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 07:16:34 am »
Hey Carson!

Awesome deal man!  What a find!
Too bad I live on the other side of the country or I'd say hook a brother up man!  lol  What a steal!

I have a friend of a friend of a friend who knows someone that has a bunch of extracting equipment that they might sell me for next to nothing.  The guy used to keep bees but is moving into an Assisted Living home and wont need the gear any more.  But you know how those "I know someone who knew someone" deals usually turn out.  Will have to wait and see.
Discovered there's a beekeeper down the road from me about 4 miles.  Never even noticed his hives before but I guess they've been there for years.  I'm gunna have to swing in sometime and talk with him.
Good to hear you're doing well.  Gota give us an update once you get your hives up and running!

Sean

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 10:26:14 am »
Try Beeworks.

They make their own suits and up to size 4x.   They are great people to deal with.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 11:05:43 am »
I'm approaching your size. I have been looking at the Beeworks one Robo mentioned. I also bought off ebay for a buck, mechanics overalls in canvass in  tan. Mostly, I use only a lite-weight turtleneck shirt, jeans and veil and occassionally gloves, but not often.(if you dont use gloves, take off rings!) As a hobbytist, if they're very hot, I walk away an come back another day and enjoy my newfound spare time.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 02:53:21 pm »
Konasdad, Sean Kelly,

That is okay the only thing my alien digestive system can consume on this god forsaken planet is something know as HoHo's.

They approach me with the photosynthesis veggitative matter as if though it was a consumable.

However if you are concerned about the mass to gravitational pull ratio, you can reduce the mass by putting the food item known as Twinkies on the back of one of the petrol mechanical movers and attempt to retrive the Twinkie item as it propels forward at a slightly faster motion than you are able to obtain. Repeat the action until mass to gravity ratio is reduced to a suitable level.

Remember when the martians come they will eat the fat one's first.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 03:35:27 pm »
The earths round. The gasoline powered machine w/ twinkie on top will come back. I'll be ready the second time!
Seriously, I'm working on it. LMAO!!!!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline DENNIS

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 07:57:29 pm »
hi
I'm the same size as you. The Tyvek suit comes in 5x go to their site and look around you will see it , that the one i use. I found a 5xlt bee suit with hood attached . If you can't find one email me and i try to find were i bought is. I know it was from south america but the place had them up here

Dennis

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 10:59:05 pm »
Try Beeworks.

They make their own suits and up to size 4x.   They are great people to deal with.
Yep, that's the link I gave him earlier in the thread.  Robo, great minds think alike!

Offline beeginner

• House Bee
  • The swarm I hived
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 10:21:03 pm »
Hey sean if you was hear we cud of just bought him out.  He still has 42 supers left. Im getting ready to get on Kelleybees.com and get a smoker and a maxant hive tool then some more deep foundation then I just thout I need a spur embdder tool and the eyelets grrrrrrrrr.  I guess ill just get lil at a time I was hopeing to get it all at once to get it over with lol :( good to talk to ya.

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 07:30:57 am »
Hey sean if you was hear we cud of just bought him out.  He still has 42 supers left. Im getting ready to get on Kelleybees.com and get a smoker and a maxant hive tool then some more deep foundation then I just thout I need a spur embdder tool and the eyelets grrrrrrrrr.  I guess ill just get lil at a time I was hopeing to get it all at once to get it over with lol :( good to talk to ya.

Hey man!
When you get your smoker, get a good one.  I bought the "Economy Hobbiest Cheapo" and it sucks.  One of the dome tops.  Cant keep the darn thing lit.  Maybe I just need to try a different fuel for it.  Those Kwik Start pellets from Mann Lake are pretty sweet but they burn out fast.
I was gunna also say, just go with the plastic foundation.  I'm no expert but from what I've seen so far, my bees are doing awesome with the Rite Cell foundation from Mann Lake.  It's just plastic with a coating of beeswax on it.  That way you wont have to buy wire, enbedders, eyelets, and stuff.  Just pop it in and go.  :-)
Check ebay too.  I've seen some good deals come through there for used stuff.
Did that guy have any extracting equipment too?  I think I'm gunna go with that Chinese plastic extractor from Dadant.
Let me know how it all goes!

Sean

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 07:45:37 am »
Robo, thanks for the info about Beeworks!  I googled them and that's just what I need!  Looks nice, but I wish they had more product descriptions besides just a picture.

KONASDAD, I'm pretty much doing the same as you right now and I've only been stung twice since I've started.  I have my vale, hat, a zippered hickory shirt over a t-shirt, and jeans.  Oh yeah, and the bee-gloves that came with my hive kit.  So far so good.  But a real suit would be sweet.

Dennis, if you could find out who made your suit, that would be awesome!  Always nice to have other options.  I kind of like the look of the square vale instead of the hooded one.  If I can find a 3xl with a zippered square vale I'd be hooked!  :-)

Thanks again everyone for your info!  What would I do with out this forum and all you guys!  I'd be so lost!!!   :-D

Sean Kelly

Offline beeginner

• House Bee
  • The swarm I hived
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2007, 11:07:37 pm »
WELL WELL WELL  I guess we will bee getting the same old chepo Chinese plastic extractor but mine is free. There is a lady up the road from us that is really nice and my mom and her are in some womens club or w/e lol dont wanna get into that any ways she has a hive and she has that extractor but when she got it it had a lil crack in it so she calld the people she got it from  and thay sent her one more and said we will send ups to get the old one well thay never did so she is gonna give it to me. The crack can be fixd with a lil 3m but she calld me and im getting her 2 more hives  with ever thing but the wax and she just came over a lil wile and she is gonna get the wax for her and what ever she dont use she is gonna give it to me yay lol sence im helping her she is helping me. But she dont know any thing about the bees so im going to show her how to do some of the stuff you need to know. She has not even used the good extractor yet. So I have my hands full getting to much for a 18 year old  :-D and by the way in the smoker use pine needels. To light it  get a hand full of the needels and light it at the bottem and put it in the smoker and get it smoking really good once you do that get some more needels and put in there nice and tight all the way to the top but make shure you dont get them to tight where you cant get any smoke. Take your time at it and if you do it right the sate bee guy im helping says it can last to 6 houers.  I shure hope this helps you.

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 03:41:42 am »
Found more assistance in the search for Big & Tall Beekeeping!  Never even thought to check Walter T. Kelley's catalog.  They have suits up to 5-XL!  Even have zippered vale in Nylon which is what I've been looking for all along!

Check it:
http://go.netgrab.com/secure/kelleystore/asp/product.asp?product=186

Sean Kelly

Offline beeginner

• House Bee
  • The swarm I hived
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2007, 08:31:55 pm »
I cant find any thing for me. The thing I have now is a 42 inch and I need a 32 or 33 lol I know I know your small lol. Im 5,7 and 110 pounds not a big guy at all lol but I can have it fixd to fit me right my mom has some friends that can do it for me. It was gave me by the state bee guy so im not gonna say no if he gives someing to me lol that woud bee crazy. In good photo sean dont work her to hard  ;)

Offline extractinghoney

• Brood
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2016, 05:34:11 am »
i found a site www.jawadis.us who has sizes up to 10XL... you probably don't need a size this big but it's worth checking it out. best wishes.

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2016, 10:44:10 am »
I agree with KathyP, just a jacket and jeans is good enough.  A full suit is too hot.

I use ultrabreeze bee jacket, cooler
Jack of all trades
Master of none.