Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Top Entrances and Entrance Shims and Robbing...  (Read 4668 times)

Offline Carriage House Farm

• House Bee
    • Carriage House Farm
Top Entrances and Entrance Shims and Robbing...
« on: December 17, 2007, 06:38:16 pm »
So, I've built a couple of those Imirie type shims.  I figure this was better than drilling a whole in the box for an entrance.

For those that have top entrances and shims, do you experience robbing?  Or can a healthy hive protect these opening fairly well?
Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Top Entrances and Entrance Shims and Robbing...
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 09:00:15 pm »
>For those that have top entrances and shims, do you experience robbing?  Or can a healthy hive protect these opening fairly well?

A strong hive in a flow is never a problem.  Any hive in a dearth is a target for robbers.  I ONLY have top entrances so I don't have a problem with two entrances.  I would reduce all entrances in the fall once the dearth sets in but I would leave a top entrance open but small.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Old Timer

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 04:16:46 pm »
The Imirie shim is to be used with drawn comb only per George Imirie. He says that if it used with foundation that the bees will connect the frames of the two boxes it is between with burr comb. I've cut some strips down to 3/8" before to use as a spacer between supers for an opening and have learned to not do this unless I use drawn comb. The Imirie shim is a whopping 3/4" and drastically violates bee space. Mr Imirie also suggests to put all your supers of drawn comb,five supers, on at one time before the spring flow and to place one shim between the second and third super and to place another between the fourth and fifth super with a top entrance built into the inner cover. DO NOT USE WITH FOUNDATION WITH THE IMIRIE SHIM. Instead of using the strips for shims, I have a few supers that are dedicated to providing an upper entrance. I cut out a 3/8" strip on the bottom front of the super about 6" wide and place this on the colony above the first super. After that they are alternated to every other super. Works good for me and can be used with foundation.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 01:06:00 am »
I've taken to building my bottom boards without landing space.  Just make it the same dimensions as the boxes.  I use top entrances so have little problem with robbing.  Too many entrances just confuses things.  No extra ventilation is necessary when top entrances are used in conjunction with SBBs.  If you have problems with the bees building comb between upper and lower frames when using an Imbrie shim I sugguest putting dowling in place.  Make it a slatted rack with an entrance.  Since I use slatted racks instead of queen excluders I don't have that problem either. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 01:09:20 am »
Oldtimer,

I notice your use of the present tense in relating George Imirie's doctrine; for what it's worth, George passed away this fall.