Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: todays "chisel" out  (Read 3531 times)

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
todays "chisel" out
« on: May 27, 2009, 05:34:10 pm »
I did a cut out today... more of a "chisel" out since their entry was in a brick wall.  I checked the inside of the home first and drilled a test hole and found that there was a "false wall" so with that I assumed that they were above that wall, so outside I went.  It went rather well and took a few hours....ended up getting 8 frame of brood and 9 frames of honey.  I borrowed a bee vac from a frined (box in a box design) and vac'd up the bees but when I went to hive them they were a big ball of 'candied" bees... id don think that they are going to make it so i will probably jut add the brood to my other hives.  

My questtion is this:  when I vac's up the bees they were on the comb not swimming in honey and i was carefull about taking up any pieces of comb/honey or bees that were obviously sticky≥.... so if i were taking up dry bees why were they a gooey mess afterwards?

you can see my progression of pictures i took when i remembered :)  you'll notice one pic where the bees were just gathering on the wall kind of staging...there was no entry but it made it easy to vac them up  enjoy!  with it being mt first cutout i had a great time!

http://picasaweb.google.com/srepasky/Cutout1?feat=directlink

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: todays "chisel" out
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 06:05:17 pm »
The goo didn't come from sucking up honey. It came from inside the bees. Either too much vacuum or too much heat, or both.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 06:10:41 pm »
iddee thats exactly what i was thinking as well.... because i was very careful......glad you confirmed it!  I figured it was trauma of some sort.... thanks!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 06:13:18 pm »
Are you sure honey didn't spill onto the bees before you vacuumed them?

Good job locating the colony.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 06:17:03 pm »
looks like you did a good job of getting them out. I think I like the bee vac like robo made better, it gives the bees somewhere to stand and clean themselves, well at least there is more surface area inside for them to spread out.

Maybe after you put them on the brood and comb they can spread out and clean each other.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 06:27:14 pm »
jp,

im positive honey didnt spill on the them as i vaccuumed the comb before i cut it out then vac'd the other side as i pulled it outand those bees wee certaintly dry.....

i like robos deign as well but mine isnt done quite yet...  hopefuly tonight!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 06:47:05 pm »
Check this one out. You can see what is happening as you vac, and control the power and ventilation as you go along.

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/Iddee/BEE%20VAC/
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 07:05:34 pm »
Heat can be just as big of a problem as honey.   Keep the vac out of the sun and ventilate them (an provide water) as soon as possible. That is why I made the slide off top on mine.   On hot days,  I pour water into the frames before I start.

If they overheat and start dying,  you will end up with a wet mass of dead bees.  Trust me, I learned the hard way.  My original bee vac had plexiglass windows and it didn't take long in the sun for it to turn into an oven :-\
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 07:26:15 pm »
is that a variable speed control you have on the cord, that's a good idea.

I just love the bee trailer also.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 09:34:04 pm »
How long did it take you to do that cut out?

Johnny

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 10:08:36 am »
1reb,

I think it took about 3 hours not including cleanup.  The hardest part was chiseling out the bricks.....I didnt have any bricking equipment so I was doing it with  prybars and hive tools...needless to say I went and bought some new equipment :)   That colony went back about 3 feet from the brick wall and was between the two floor joyces.

Robo,
I got your design to work on my vac.....thanks for the tips!

anything