Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pupae on the front porch...."Normal"?  (Read 4429 times)

Moots

Re: Pupae on the front porch...."Normal"?
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 08:48:36 pm »
Ok guys,
Here's my video, if y'all can stomach a newbie stumbling his way through a hive inspection, I'd appreciate feedback and opinions...

Hive inspection

I have another very short clip showing what I found when removing the board closing off the screen section.  I'll try to post it also.

Thanks!

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 09:04:14 pm »
All those frames except the new foundation had alot of brood in them.  Be ready to transfer to 8 frame setup soon.  Those bees look good to me.  They are growing well. 
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Moots

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 09:14:24 pm »
Bailey,
Thanks for taking the time to give it a look, I know your busy getting swarm traps out. My "untrained" eye was telling me they were looking good, but confirmation from someone that knows is nice.  :)

Here's the bottom board video that I pulled to expose a few hiding small Hive beetles, I put it back tonight.

Bottom board video

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2013, 09:36:39 pm »
It all looks right to me.
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Moots

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 09:44:59 am »
As a follow up:

Checked on the Nuc both last night, about 22:00 and this morning about 07:00...No signs of Pupae littering the landing board!  :)

Thanks again for everyone's interest and input.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 11:13:36 am »
two most common reasons at this time of the year would be pulled brood because the bees didn't like them...mites, nourishment, etc.  or chilled brood.  in my area, when they start to brood up well and we have a cold snap, this is common. they lay more than they can cover well, and some of the brood doesn't make it.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 02:43:16 pm »
The right thing in these cases is to look inside the hive, what is going there. It is easy to lift up the box from bottom.

Lifting box too tells how much it has food storages.
Language barrier NOT included