Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Traveling with Bee Packages  (Read 7330 times)

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
Traveling with Bee Packages
« on: March 28, 2014, 02:33:06 pm »
I have a beekeeping supply store and this year, I am selling packages. I'm really excited about this and will be driving from Washington to California in April to pick up my order. 

Being my first trip, I want to make sure my bases are covered in order to get the bees here safely.  For those that make package runs like this on a regular basis, do you have any advice for me? 

FYI:  Using a 3-horse slant load horse trailer.  The bees will have ventilation.  Any thoughts on how that ventilation is circulated?  Or will cracking the windows be enough?  No, the wind will not hit the bees directly.

Thank you!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Traveling with Bee Packages
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 04:04:33 pm »
Open the windows totally. Make a layer of packages, leaving 2 in. between them. Lay 1X2 slats on top of them. Make another layer. Place slats. ETC. Heat rises, and will be carried out the windows. Cold won't be an issue in April.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 05:55:30 pm »
Thanks, iddee!  I'll make sure to have the slats ready.  As for the windows, when you say open the windows totally, do you recommend just opening the sliders, or drop the window panel doors entirely?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 11:24:03 am »
If the air temp is above 45 F., I prefer the slatted side cattle trailer. Heat is your worry, not cold. Therefore, in a horse trailer, I would go for maximum ventilation. If temp. is below 40 F. I would block the front of the trailer and use only side ventilation.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 11:31:27 am »
The bees getting too warm is exactly my fear!  The "passenger" side of the trailer has plex that can be removed, I'll plan to do that.  I will also take out the dividers (for the horses) so that there is no interference for air flow from the window side.  Whether I open them entirely, and/or how many (there are 3), will depend on temperatures, then.  Unless we get a freaky April, it sounds like erring towards cooler shouldn't be my concern.

Thank you, again, for your input!  I appreciate the help!

Offline The Redneck Hippie

• New Bee
    • The Redneck Hippie
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 08:16:39 am »
So what'd you do and how'd it go, Alicia?  Hopefully well. 

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 02:56:40 pm »
Hi, Redneck, funny you should ask!  I was just coming back here to thank iddee, again, for the helpful information!

My dad went down with me and was going to help me drive, but about 4 hours after leaving our place, his left eye went wonky and I ended up driving most of the way down and all the way back.  Looooonnnnng trip.  The way back was exciting.  The Siskiyous were quite refreshing after the rain/hail/lightning storm we experienced through Weed.  A lovely city, I'm sure...during the day...when it's sunny... ;)

The bees did great.  Iddee, I ended up leaving the big doors shut and just opening the sliders (on the driver's side).  We had pulled the plex on the passenger side.  My biggest concern ended up not being high heat, but wet, due to the sideways rain.  The bees held up great though. Ventilation and temperatures were good.  My husband purchased a thermometer, which we placed in the middle of the packages.  I could read the temps from the truck.  It was interesting to keep an eye on the fluctuations as we drove.

What packages didn't sell got hived into 5-frame nucs.  Got those all sold, too.  All in all, a good trip and a positive experience!

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 09:45:22 pm »
Glad to hear all went well Alicia! :)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 10:56:29 pm »
Congratulations. Confidence goes a long ways toward ensuring success. Once you felt comfortable that you could do it, you were sure to have a good trip.

*Shel Silverstein*